Anybody else have trouble with wanting to stuff your face at night??

Options
2»

Replies

• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I want to eat EVERYTHING right now. Struggling and its only day 2. Need someone to get my mind off food..

I am on day, like, 4? I understand. I have this gnawing stomach constantly, but I think a lot of it is honestly psychosomatic for me. I'm eating between 1800-2000 calories a day, I am by no means starving-- it's an adjustment and an exercise in willpower for me. I try to keep ice water in my hand constantly, and if I'm really truly hungry, I eat. It's such a boredom habit for me, and an anxiety distraction as well-- to just shovel food in my mouth. And it takes repetitive action to break a habit/form a new one.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I don't do IF, but I found that if I just push my whole day back a little it helps with the late night snacking. Instead of eating breakfast at home, I eat it at work, around 9 or 10 .. I end up having my dinner around 8-9PM, and the night time snacking has gone way down.

Rather than changing what you eat, maybe a small timing adjustment would address this for you.
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You sound like you and your diet don't match which is fine. Now you're tasked with changing it so 1. You don't feel deprived 2. You're more satisfied from food at night time 3. You're still in a calorie deficit.

Whats interesting is most people don't understand dieting is all about making an eating plan tailor made for YOU.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I found sugar free jello or sugar free drink works for most of my late night cravings.
  • neonbon
    neonbon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    La croix and a tablespoon of a nutbutter for my late night cravings.
  • FlowerPower8579
    FlowerPower8579 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My absolute FAVE is Nutella - I just can't live without it. Everything in moderation though- I save calories for it in the evening just in case!
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My absolute FAVE is Nutella - I just can't live without it. Everything in moderation though- I save calories for it in the evening just in case!

The right approach. If there's no snack to fill those saved IP cals do you add them to dinner?
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I’m a huge fan of granulated sweetener and I make myself a very large milky and extra sweet coffee which generally makes me feel gross!! Or brush your teeth earlier in the evening signalling ‘ I’m done ‘ xx good luck
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Are you undereating? Perhaps your calorie goal is too low? Always save 100-250 kcals for a snack later!
  • massaoli
    massaoli Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have trouble most nights after working 3-11 shifts. On a good night I can shower and go to bed, most nights I overeat only to regret it in am. Trying to brush teeth as soon as I get home to avoid eating. Good luck to you .
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This might not work for everyone, because you might not be as overweight and out of shape as I am, but when I get those (mostly late night) urges to binge (or eat when I'm not even hungry) I get up and walk around my living room. I'm pretty out of shape and walking hurts my back. I walk around until my back hurts a little (it doesn't take long). It serves as motivation for me to overcome my binge eating and mindless snacking, and it works well for me because walking around for a few minutes shouldn't hurt so much.
  • wendygeorge2713
    wendygeorge2713 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue bad and it wasn't good healthy snacks I was reaching for. You can add me if you'd like. I'm not sure how to lol
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, and I fought that for years. I'm much happier, and having more success, now that I save most of my calories for the evening (while still eating enough during the day to keep myself from feeling like I'm starving). A typical day for me looks something like:
    * Breakfast: 120-200 cals (yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit, or hard-boiled eggs, or a protein bar)
    * Lunch: 200 cals (salad, or half a sandwich & veggies, or veggies & hummus)
    * Snacks: 0-150 cals (nothing, or fruit, or trail mix, or veggies)

That leaves me around 900-1,000 cals for evening (my goal is 1,500 and I am a 5'4", 195lb female). I try to have a reasonable dinner (sometimes it's super-healthy, sometimes it's not and I just moderate how much I eat), and I ALWAYS leave room for wine and a sweet like chocolate, ice cream, chia pudding, or baked apples, etc.

There's not one solution for everyone but for me personally, this was the "sweet spot" for my calorie allocation.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Story of my life.

I compensate by eating less during the day and keeping filling but not calorie dense snacks in the house.