Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    BrityKitty wrote: »
    Where to start...
    Ok so this is my dilemma. I am obese i eat healthy when i do eat and work out etc., but i cannot lose weight no matter what i do. Its frustrating to say the least.
    Everybody loses weight by consistently eating less than they burn. If you eat so much that you're obese, you're not eating healthily. Dieting and exercising for a few days and then stopping, doesn't have any impact in the long run.
    Now I have had issues with my stomach for about 6 years it hurts to eat literally. Doctors cant figure it out I stopped trying to. Well since I have not been eating more than one meal a day for 6 years my stomach has shrunk and I cannot eat more if I tried.
    Maybe the stomach pain will go away if you spread your intake over more meals. Your stomach has definitely not shrunk (stomachs don't do that).
    Im already on prescription weight loss pills and something to increase my appetite.
    This makes absolutely no sense.
    Per doctors orders I have to start eating no less than 1,500 calories a day to get my metabolism going again. I was told I can't loose weight if I don't eat enough because my body is storing it for later. I don't want it later!!! The most i can stomach has been like 700 in a day before it hurts too much to eat anymore. Any advice helps.
    Your metabolism is going just fine (or else you'd be dead). Your body can't store what it doesn't get. You are eating way more than 700 calories per day. Without having your height and weight and weight gain rate, it's impossible to estimate, but you are definitely eating more than 2000 calories on average.

If you log your food intake, consistently and honestly, you will be able to see it for yourself. Then you can see where you can cut without feeling deprived. If you get your intake down to 1500 real calories and stick to it, you lose weight.

My husband is actually making me use this after attending this doctors visit he's the one that mentioned my "intake" so he could see exactly what im doing and did you know it won't let you save a log that is under 1000 calories? Try and it gives a warning message but everything is well below "acceptable" so how can I be above 2000 if I can't manage to eat 1000 a day?
    It's good that you've started to use your food diary. I know MFP gives you a warning about not eatng too little. What it doesn't, however, is to encourage you to check your logging, make sure you have entered everything, in the correct amounts, and using correct entries for every item. You are eating too much if you aren't losing weight. At 1000 calories, you'd be starving - not just losing weight very rapidly, but also hungry, hangry, irritable and unfocused.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You simply couldn't be maintaining your weight at 240lbs by eating 700 calories a day.
    Even if you lay in bed all day doing nothing you would be losing weight rapidly.

Making your diary public would help.
  • BrityKitty
    BrityKitty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the body requires a certain amount of calories just to function - even if you lay on a bed all day. I believe this figure is more than 700 calories for anyone regardless of size/age/etc.

Therefore if you only consumed 700 calories a day you would lose weight. Any sustained length of time doing that and you would not be obese.

I think there must be something wrong with your maths. It seems like the only possible explanation.

The way it was explained to me is your body does need food to function and a certain amount of calories to get your metabolism working. and if I'm not eating enough and even just going about my daily routine my body is going to store the calories I consume because I don't eat enough for my metabolism to kick in. It has been a progression over 6 years not like I gained weight over night. Plain and simple I have the slowest of slow metabolism and apparently it's because I do not eat enough if any every day (my husband has to remind me to eat majority of the time because I eat so little I don't think about it or when i do i get caught up doing something else and forget again)

Thanks for the reply. I still think you're under-counting the amount of calories you're consuming, and this remains by far the most plausible explanation for the situation.

Whether your metabolism is fast or slow, basic body function requires an amount of calories daily, which I understand is the Base Metabolic Rate. As far as I know, and I could be wrong on this - 700 is lower than any BMR on the planet. I think 1200 is the widely accepted lowest BMR in adult women.

If you had genuinely only eaten 700 calories a day, then irrespective of your metabolism, you would be in at least a 500 calorie deficit and losing significant weight.

Yeah i thought the same thing I honestly don't even eat some days because I am so busy I forget and too tired to do anything when I come home my calorie intake on those days are from the energy drink I sip on all day till I get home and pass out. My diet is not ideal by any means but I'm not gorging on junk either I only eat at home and they are meals made from scratch. But the lack of weight loss is what got me on the subject with my doctor in the first place
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the body requires a certain amount of calories just to function - even if you lay on a bed all day. I believe this figure is more than 700 calories for anyone regardless of size/age/etc.

Therefore if you only consumed 700 calories a day you would lose weight. Any sustained length of time doing that and you would not be obese.

I think there must be something wrong with your maths. It seems like the only possible explanation.

The way it was explained to me is your body does need food to function and a certain amount of calories to get your metabolism working. and if I'm not eating enough and even just going about my daily routine my body is going to store the calories I consume because I don't eat enough for my metabolism to kick in. It has been a progression over 6 years not like I gained weight over night. Plain and simple I have the slowest of slow metabolism and apparently it's because I do not eat enough if any every day (my husband has to remind me to eat majority of the time because I eat so little I don't think about it or when i do i get caught up doing something else and forget again)

Thanks for the reply. I still think you're under-counting the amount of calories you're consuming, and this remains by far the most plausible explanation for the situation.

Whether your metabolism is fast or slow, basic body function requires an amount of calories daily, which I understand is the Base Metabolic Rate. As far as I know, and I could be wrong on this - 700 is lower than any BMR on the planet. I think 1200 is the widely accepted lowest BMR in adult women.

If you had genuinely only eaten 700 calories a day, then irrespective of your metabolism, you would be in at least a 500 calorie deficit and losing significant weight.

Yeah i thought the same thing I honestly don't even eat some days because I am so busy I forget and too tired to do anything when I come home my calorie intake on those days are from the energy drink I sip on all day till I get home and pass out. My diet is not ideal by any means but I'm not gorging on junk either I only eat at home and they are meals made from scratch. But the lack of weight loss is what got me on the subject with my doctor in the first place
    What if you stop with those energy drinks (do they have calories?), and schedule meals at regular intervals (forgetting to eat is no excuse - set alarms)? If you eat regularly, you'll feel less tired, and you won't need the energy drinks. Nobody are judging your food choices, relax.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Where to start...
    Ok so this is my dilemma. I am obese i eat healthy when i do eat and work out etc., but i cannot lose weight no matter what i do. Its frustrating to say the least.
    Everybody loses weight by consistently eating less than they burn. If you eat so much that you're obese, you're not eating healthily. Dieting and exercising for a few days and then stopping, doesn't have any impact in the long run.
    Now I have had issues with my stomach for about 6 years it hurts to eat literally. Doctors cant figure it out I stopped trying to. Well since I have not been eating more than one meal a day for 6 years my stomach has shrunk and I cannot eat more if I tried.
    Maybe the stomach pain will go away if you spread your intake over more meals. Your stomach has definitely not shrunk (stomachs don't do that).
    Im already on prescription weight loss pills and something to increase my appetite.
    Per doctors orders I have to start eating no less than 1,500 calories a day to get my metabolism going again. I was told I can't loose weight if I don't eat enough because my body is storing it for later. I don't want it later!!! The most i can stomach has been like 700 in a day before it hurts too much to eat anymore. Any advice helps.
    Your metabolism is going just fine (or else you'd be dead). Your body can't store what it doesn't get. You are eating way more than 700 calories per day. Without having your height and weight and weight gain rate, it's impossible to estimate, but you are definitely eating more than 2000 calories on average.

If you log your food intake, consistently and honestly, you will be able to see it for yourself. Then you can see where you can cut without feeling deprived. If you get your intake down to 1500 real calories and stick to it, you lose weight.

My husband is actually making me use this after attending this doctors visit he's the one that mentioned my "intake" so he could see exactly what im doing and did you know it won't let you save a log that is under 1000 calories? Try and it gives a warning message but everything is well below "acceptable" so how can I be above 2000 if I can't manage to eat 1000 a day?
    It's good that you've started to use your food diary. I know MFP gives you a warning about not eatng too little. What it doesn't, however, is to encourage you to check your logging, make sure you have entered everything, in the correct amounts, and using correct entries for every item. You are eating too much if you aren't losing weight. At 1000 calories, you'd be starving - not just losing weight very rapidly, but also hungry, hangry, irritable and unfocused.

Lol irritable and unfocused for sure but I can assure you I went so far as to put everything in myself so I know it's correct (one of my items was all kinds of wrong when I was double checking it like only listing calories and nothing else) the hunger pains only just started after I started the weight loss pills. And they have been crippling at times but I was always able to go longer than I can now without eating and no pain after looking at the log I literally have to triple my food intake just to get it at 1000 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

if your metabolism stops, its because you're dead.

you aren't overweight because you eat too little. if that was a thing then people would never starve to death.

what are your actual stats?

I'm 5'4 and have not gained nor lost in 6 years just stayed steady at 240. The weight was progressively gained during my 2 pregnancies

and how long have you been weighing and measuring your food intake? openign your diary would help.

I have only started the last 2 days so far but I'm pretty predictable tbh the only time my diet fluctuates is when I am on my period and even then after I buy the junk food I don't want it anymore by time I feel like eating it my husband has done devoured it all so if buying and looking at food then having it eaten for you counts towards calorie intake I need to start logging my husbands.

again, if you were actually eating so little you WOULD be losing weight.

log everything honestly for 4 weeks, and then look at making a deficit.

you need to start with some accountability for your actions.. your kids see what you do or don't eat (would you want them 'forgetting' to eat and only having energy drinks all day?) and will copy your habits.
  • kommodevaran
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Where to start...

Lol irritable and unfocused for sure but I can assure you I went so far as to put everything in myself so I know it's correct (one of my items was all kinds of wrong when I was double checking it like only listing calories and nothing else)
    Well done. But you've only been logging for two days? You can't notice any weight change in two days.
    after looking at the log I literally have to triple my food intake just to get it at 1000 calories.
    1000 calories isn't much food, not for a whole day. But 300 calories is a decent lunch. I am more than convinced that your logging is off somewhere. But you'll learn as you go along. If you open your diary, you can get pointers.
    the hunger pains only just started after I started the weight loss pills. And they have been crippling at times but I was always able to go longer than I can now without eating and no pain
    Why are you taking the weight loss pills? Doesn't sound like they contribute anything useful.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You simply couldn't be maintaining your weight at 240lbs by eating 700 calories a day.
    Even if you lay in bed all day do nothing you would be losing weight rapidly.

Like I said before this is why I got on this subject with my doctor. That was the very first point i made is i should be losing something by Eating little to nothing every day And she told me im not eating enough and that's why im not loosing weight i am severly unhealthy from not eating i have vitamin deficiencies my hair falls out to where i think im going bald my nails are thin And brittle my skin is *kitten* I'm not saying I don't suffer from not eating i just don't want to eat more And start gaining more weight... I just want advice on how to get more calories without gaining more weight. And even if I knew how to make my diary public it won't let me submit my log because it's not at 1000 so it won't be public and then I'm just gonna get accused of not filling it out.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Like I said before this is why I got on this subject with my doctor. That was the very first point i made is i should be losing something by Eating little to nothing every day And she told me im not eating enough and that's why im not loosing weight i am severly unhealthy from not eating i have vitamin deficiencies my hair falls out to where i think im going bald my nails are thin And brittle my skin is *kitten* I'm not saying I don't suffer from not eating i just don't want to eat more And start gaining more weight... I just want advice on how to get more calories without gaining more weight. And even if I knew how to make my diary public it won't let me submit my log because it's not at 1000 so it won't be public and then I'm just gonna get accused of not filling it out.

the food you have logged is still there, it just doesn't post to your news feed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings At the bottom of the Diary Settings are some radio buttons. Choose one.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Like I said before this is why I got on this subject with my doctor. That was the very first point i made is i should be losing something by Eating little to nothing every day And she told me im not eating enough and that's why im not loosing weight
    Either your doctor is talking BS, or you misunderstood her, or you're making things up. Losing weight is all about eating less. The less you eat, the more you lose.
    i am severly unhealthy from not eating i have vitamin deficiencies my hair falls out to where i think im going bald my nails are thin And brittle my skin is *kitten*
    You can have deficiencies while eating too many calories. You have to look at the quality of your diet, too. A balanced and varied diet should provide you with all the nutrients you need, to feel strong and energized, and daily cell repair.
    I'm not saying I don't suffer from not eating i just don't want to eat more And start gaining more weight... I just want advice on how to get more calories without gaining more weight.
    You are not going to gain more weight if you eat the amount of calories MFP suggests to lose 1-2 pounds per week. The thing is that YOU ARE EATING MORE THAN YOU THINK or you HAVEN'T EATEN LESS FOR LONG ENOUGH TO SEE THE EFFECT.
    And even if I knew how to make my diary public it won't let me submit my log because it's not at 1000 so it won't be public and then I'm just gonna get accused of not filling it out.
    It won't get posted on your feed - your diary can still be viewed if you set it to public.

Have you tried comparing what you eat to what an appropriate amount of calories looks like? Do that: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/1500-calories-look-like-infographic/
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You said, all you drink is water and then one coffee. Then you say you have energy drinks.
    The problem is you're deluding yourself about what you're eating and drinking. Everything counts, you have to record everything, see what you're actually consuming, and then you can figure out a realistic plan going forward.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Ok so I'm not going to argue anymore yes I eat too much I need to start eating 300 everyday because then I can really watch the pounds fall off. I'm sorry but if you actually Google what eating too little does it matches what my doctor was telling me. I don't need anyone's advice on eating less. If I'm lying to everyone why do y'all care if i eat more And gain more weight??? I asked a simple question I got an answer I can use I'm going to start drinking nutrition shakes to get the calories I cannot stomach eating no one knows me or my medical history if I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake to the minimum rca for a woman I will take it up with my doctor that I have been seeing almost my entire life that has all of my medical history in her files. If anyone has any other advice on how to improve metabolism please leave a comment if not just leave me alone so I can make myself 600 lbs because that's just what I want its my life get over it

please can you explain, using your logic, how a person starves to death?
  • BrityKitty
    Options

Like I said before this is why I got on this subject with my doctor. That was the very first point i made is i should be losing something by Eating little to nothing every day And she told me im not eating enough and that's why im not loosing weight
    Either your doctor is talking BS, or you misunderstood her, or you're making things up. Losing weight is all about eating less. The less you eat, the more you lose.
    i am severly unhealthy from not eating i have vitamin deficiencies my hair falls out to where i think im going bald my nails are thin And brittle my skin is *kitten*
    You can have deficiencies while eating too many calories. You have to look at the quality of your diet, too. A balanced and varied diet should provide you with all the nutrients you need, to feel strong and energized, and daily cell repair.
    I'm not saying I don't suffer from not eating i just don't want to eat more And start gaining more weight... I just want advice on how to get more calories without gaining more weight.
    You are not going to gain more weight if you eat the amount of calories MFP suggests to lose 1-2 pounds per week. The thing is that YOU ARE EATING MORE THAN YOU THINK or you HAVEN'T EATEN LESS FOR LONG ENOUGH TO SEE THE EFFECT.
    And even if I knew how to make my diary public it won't let me submit my log because it's not at 1000 so it won't be public and then I'm just gonna get accused of not filling it out.
    It won't get posted on your feed - your diary can still be viewed if you set it to public.

Have you tried comparing what you eat to what an appropriate amount of calories looks like? Do that: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/1500-calories-look-like-infographic/

Yes!!!! Thank you so much everyone needs to look at this!!! Pay close attention to what approximately 800 calories looks like!!!! I'm not starving that is a lot of *kitten* food!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Yes!!!! Thank you so much everyone needs to look at this!!! Pay close attention to what approximately 800 calories looks like!!!! I'm not starving that is a lot of *kitten* food!!!!

you're completely missing the point though... only eating 800 calories would make you lose weight, regardless of how much food it looks like....
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Ok so I'm not going to argue anymore yes I eat too much I need to start eating 300 everyday because then I can really watch the pounds fall off. I'm sorry but if you actually Google what eating too little does it matches what my doctor was telling me. I don't need anyone's advice on eating less. If I'm lying to everyone why do y'all care if i eat more And gain more weight??? I asked a simple question I got an answer I can use I'm going to start drinking nutrition shakes to get the calories I cannot stomach eating no one knows me or my medical history if I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake to the minimum rca for a woman I will take it up with my doctor that I have been seeing almost my entire life that has all of my medical history in her files. If anyone has any other advice on how to improve metabolism please leave a comment if not just leave me alone so I can make myself 600 lbs because that's just what I want its my life get over it

By starving.... If you looked at the chart posted in another comment you would see what 700 calories looks like. I'm not starving im eating two meals worth of healthy food a day. and that's a lot of food hence why I think its b.s. that I have to eat even more to be able to lose weight therefore giving me the impression I will gain weight from eating more then I do... Now where i am more than likely messing up is I'm eating that amount in one sitting and snacking...
  • Darylw277
    Darylw277 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

By starving.... If you looked at the chart posted in another comment you would see what 700 calories looks like. I'm not starving im eating two meals worth of healthy food a day. and that's a lot of food hence why I think its b.s. that I have to eat even more to be able to lose weight therefore giving me the impression I will gain weight from eating more then I do... Now where i am more than likely messing up is I'm eating that amount in one sitting and snacking...

So, what you're saying is the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to you? And that if you were a prisoner of war, while everyone else would be skin and bone, you'd somehow be 260lb... When the full forum is telling you something, and not one person agrees with you. Maybe it's time to take a step back and realise you're lying to yourself. No one is capable of living on 700 cals at 200lb without losing weight. Nor did you become 200+ lb eating just 700 cal.

You know your snacking still counts as calories just because it's not a meal right.... Energy drinks have 250ish calories in them too.

Or maybe you should allow the medical field to study you as the first human in existence where starvation can never occur. You could single handily save the third world.
  • BrityKitty
    Options

you're completely missing the point though... only eating 800 calories would make you lose weight, regardless of how much food it looks like....

Aaaaannnndddd we are back where we started. Why do you think I went to the doctor and asked her for help to loose weight!!!! Idk if you are asking me to answer this question for you because I tried that and I'm lying and my doctor doesn't know what she's talking about... And if you are trying to answer it for me well I just lie about how much I eat so problem solved
  • TavistockToad
    Options

still missing the point...

your body needs a certain number of calories to maintain your weight. what that number is, depends on your weight, activity level etc etc.

if you eat less than that you lose weight, more than that, you gain weight.

there is NO WAY you maintain your weight on 700 calories. regardless of how much food that physically looks like.

but now we are getting somewhere... so you're eating a large meal (more than 700 cals because people underestimate their intake, that's totally normal) and snacking on top of it... what do you snack on usually?