Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's All Sugar's Fault

Options

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    Here is another neat one, from USDA data. Americans are eating more total calories, more added fats, and more flours/cereals than their parents and grandparents:
    b59j24pt1cc5.png
    Source: http://geeksta.net/visualizations/calories-us/

I'm not entirely sure where this graph got it's raw data. It is somewhat at odds with the USDA ERS Food Availability data. (Loss-Adjusted Calories)

Two things stand out to me in the raw data.
    1. Our average caloric intake rose consistently through the 1990s to 2000, then plateaued for the next decade, only to start falling again in 2009. It will be interesting to see what happens when they release the next several years of data.
    2. Between 1990 and 2000 average caloric intake increased by 14%. That alone clearly explains most of the expanding weight problem observed.

Good eye! There is a slight discrepancy between the raw and that chart. The USDA/ERS spreadsheet says that the data was last updated on Feb. 1, 2017, so maybe they have made a revision to the data since the person made that chart. I recreated the chart from the 2017 raw. Unfortunately, I don't think it can be updated to include data after 2010 because they don't have data for durum flour, rice, or added oils as noted in the USDA/ERS spreadsheet.
    htom3q64sjw3.png
  • Skybluetrees
    Skybluetrees Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Exactly. A few hundred extra calories, over your needs.

I lost a stone last year eating pretty low carb.

Then I got gallstones, badly, so I lost a further 2 stones in 4 months eating high carb, some sugars and low fat/ lowish protein. Carbs mostly wholemeal for the extra fibre and nutritents and to keep me full.

So it seems to me that you can follow a variety of diet lifestyles, but it is necessary to stay within a calorie budget to lose weight or not gain it. It’s likely to be easier to do that with a higher proportion of fruit and veg and some higher fibre foods.