Candida overgrowth in gut

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    And there are non-prescription options that have good results in clinical trials and were once only available by prescription. But, they just stopped using them as the dominant option. My dermatologist also told me to see a naturopath for skin care prescriptions because she could have lotions mixed up for me with gentle, but clinically effective ingredients. Some examples would be: niacinamide, azelaic acid, zinc, retin-a, and other options. They can prescribe them at lower concentrations for people that have sensitive skin. So, naturopaths do use evidence based options as well. And you can do your own research before seeing them and after speaking with them to make an informed decision.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Most of these diets I see recommended by alternative medicine practitioners recommend avoiding processed foods and "evil" sugar. I would think if someone is following a diet like this would feel better. I agree with probiotics that they can help, but every person is different. I don't agree with all alternative medicine because there are plenty of schemers out there that prey on people who are looking for answers modern medicine cannot answer.
  • bethanytilling
    bethanytilling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aliwms707 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but for those who don't believe candida overgrowth in the gut is real - you are wrong! I thought I was going crazy several years ago, MDs were of little help. Thankfully, I found a nutritionist and a very open-minded allergist for treatment, as well as books by William Crook. I gave myself daily allergy shots for candida overgrowth from allergist for three months, then took diflucan daily for 6 months. Also, medical strength oil of oregano, mega doses of probiotics and implemented a food rotation diet that essentially cut all refined products from diet (carbs, breads, pasta) and anything with sugar. It changed my life. I had gotten to point where I would fall asleep/weave on road if I ate an ice cream cone or doughnuts 30 minutes earlier. If I ate jelly on toast, I fell asleep for 30 minutes.
    The diet, medications and herbs changed my life. It affected my work, concentration, everything about my life for a long time. Now I'm good - I eat probiotics when take antibiotics, try to watch diet a little more closely. But it is very, very real.
    Good luck and stick to the treatment plan - you will notice results in as little as a week (I did, at least) As an aside, within a few days, my skin was glowing! I believe it was because I was eating food without preservatives for a few months!

How long did it take you to feel better? I've been on the diet and supplements for a while but hardcore the last 3 weeks
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've been learning a lot about the human biome lately and believe that conventional medicine is now coming round to appreciate the importance of gut health especially in some non-contagious chronic diseases. I have been consuming more fiber and probiotic food as a result of my understanding of gut health. Seems to be working.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    LAC73167 wrote: »
    This condition is very real.
    No. Its. Not. It is a fake disease invented by a fake doctor. There is no science to support it. None. Zero. Zilch.

This was my opinion too. A friend had a naturopath prescribe what was basically a low carb diet to her because she was suffering from yeast overgrowth and therefore could not lose weight. Not surprisingly, the idea that she had a medical condition spurred her to follow this low carb diet religiously and she lost weight. It's been a bit of sore spot for me because of how often I had to listen to her spread the gospel.

BUT, I happened upon an article relaying results of a study that looks at the mycobiome (fungi in the gut). Curious what others think of this. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/gut-fungi-might-be-linked-obesity-and-inflammatory-bowel-disorders?tgt=nr

"Mice fed high-fat chow had less Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast and more Candida albicans in their guts than did mice that ate standard chow. S. cerevisiae is a yeast used in making wine, beer and bread and has been associated with good health. C. albicans is an organism that causes many yeast infections.
    Gale’s team also discovered that relationships between bacteria and fungi changed when mice’s diets were changed. Her team can’t yet show a direct connection between the composition of gut fungi and obesity, but suspects that shifting interactions between bacteria and fungi might lead the host to gain weight."

I do need to point out however that my friend had been advised to go on a low carb diet to prevent yeast overgrowth and this study suggests that a higher fat diet caused an increase in Candida albicans. I will also say that it is a big stretch to connect the changes in mycobiome and obesity with the little evidence we have at the moment.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think there are people in this thread who do not know what holistic means.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There are a number of illnesses which respond to a low carb diet - I believe the OP that she was ill and now feels better following a different diet. However, that doesn't mean she ever had anything related to candida overgrowth. One doesn't follow from the other. Her doctor can be a complete whack job and her diagnosis completely wrong, and the diet still might be helpful for other reasons.

My lupus related skin issues (with symptoms a lot like what the OP describes) do better on a lower sugar diet, simply because it's less inflammatory. It took me ten years to get a lupus diagnosis, because the symptoms can be anything - it's an autoimmune disorder which can affect any system, and comes and goes. Many symptoms in the early stages are vague and seemingly unconnected, and the usual response of doctors was to pat me on the head and reassure me that there was nothing seriously wrong - meanwhile, I was completely unable to do daily activities which had been routine for me a few months earlier. In fact my diagnosis breakthrough came when an urgent care doctor ran a Sed rate test "just to reassure you that you're fine" and it came back five times higher than he expected. Huh, finally people started paying attention.

So I completely sympathize with wanting to glom onto the first doctor who actually listens and acknowledges that there is a real problem. The failure of the traditional medical profession to do their job as diagnosticians unfortunately creates a niche for frauds and charlatans and snake oil salesmen pandering to the desperate.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get yeast infections after taking antibiotics. You can also be allergic to them. I have an allergy to sulfa. I will get a rash or hives. So, your symptoms sound very familiar to me. I think probiotics and limiting sugars would be very helpful. You probably want to avoid sulfa meds in the future.