Frustrated

Options
I also do WW on line as well as this. I have gained 2.5 lbs within last 2 weeks. Scale won't budge. I eat probably almost 1200 calories a day but also exercise but don't eat all those extra from workouts. I'm on thyroid meds due to thyroid removal. I don't know why weight won't budge. Tempted to do a detox to jumpstart! Any suggestions

Replies

• himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Most people suggest that you measure inches, not count lbs on a scale. Fat takes more room then muscle. So if you are working out at all then perhaps a muscles is increasing, you will weigh the same, but your inches will be smaller.

1lb of fat = 1lb of muscle (The muscle is just denser.)

Just a tip :)
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think the clue here is your statement "I eat probably almost 1200 calories a day". If you were truly eating only 1200 calories a day, you would be losing weight. Are you measuring/weighing all food and tracking everything you are eating and drinking each day?

50031152.png
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    himenaya wrote: »
    Most people suggest that you measure inches, not count lbs on a scale. Fat takes more room then muscle. So if you are working out at all then perhaps a muscles is increasing, you will weigh the same, but your inches will be smaller.

THIS ISN'T TRUE. You can't create muscle out of nothing (aka a calorie deficit) and you can't transform fat cells into muscle cells. You can only gain muscle on a calorie surplus while working on your muscles through strength training.
    ragaddini wrote: »
    I also do WW on line as well as this. I have gained 2.5 lbs within last 2 weeks. Scale won't budge. I eat probably almost 1200 calories a day but also exercise but don't eat all those extra from workouts. I'm on thyroid meds due to thyroid removal. I don't know why weight won't budge. Tempted to do a detox to jumpstart! Any suggestions

within last 2 weeks Your weight will fluctuate. My weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs within a week.

probably almost 1200 calories a day If you aren't using a food scale, your portions are probably more than you realize.

detox to jumpstart Your body isn't toxic. There's no such thing as a jumpstart.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

THIS ISN'T TRUE. You can't create muscle out of nothing (aka a calorie deficit) and you can't transform fat cells into muscle cells. You can only gain muscle on a calorie surplus while working on your muscles through strength training.

within last 2 weeks Your weight will fluctuate. My weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs within a week.

probably almost 1200 calories a day If you aren't using a food scale, your portions are probably more than you realize.

There is something to the concept of body re-composition. Some studies show it is possible to gain muscle while burning fat and being on a slight deficit. its a tricky animal it wrestle.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    T0M_K wrote: »

There is something to the concept of body re-composition. Some studies show it is possible to gain muscle while burning fat and being on a slight deficit. its a tricky animal it wrestle.

Show me the study. To my knowledge, there is no way to create muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. There are many ways to recomp. Some people eat maintenance and lift HEAVY. As a result, they maintain more of their existing muscle mass while burning fat. Boom, recomp. They will also feel stronger, but they will not have bigger physical muscles. Where would the mass come from? This method is most effective for people who are larger who have a lot of fat to lose but may have substantial muscles from carrying around their large bodies. Another way to do a recomp is with cutting and bulking cycles. Bulk (surplus of calories) while lifting heavy, then cut (calorie deficit) while lifting heavy.

None of what she is describing is possibly growing her muscles.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    T0M_K wrote: »

Show me the study. To my knowledge, there is no way to create muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. There are many ways to recomp. Some people eat maintenance and lift HEAVY. As a result, they maintain more of their existing muscle mass while burning fat. Boom, recomp. They will also feel stronger, but they will not have bigger physical muscles. Where would the mass come from? This method is most effective for people who are larger who have a lot of fat to lose but may have substantial muscles from carrying around their large bodies. Another way to do a recomp is with cutting and bulking cycles. Bulk (surplus of calories) while lifting heavy, then cut (calorie deficit) while lifting heavy.

None of what she is describing is possibly growing her muscles.

I'm not going to argue this point, nor am i going to research the topic to convince you. clearly you are right. but this is an example of what i'm referring too. take it for what its worth.

best wishes. http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/ perhaps ......just perhaps...its possible. hmmm