Running in Winter

Options

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    For those who have mentioned yak tracks of microspikes, do those affect your stride much? I've never used either, so am curious how they feel as you run.

I've hiked but not run in Microspikes. They add about a pound to your feet.

Yak tracks are ok but I find they feel like there’s something stuck on my feet. I don’t think they altered my stride in snow but once I hit dry pavement for a bit I kind of hated them until I was back on snow. I think I’m kind of a princess and the pea with my feet though so probably normal people don’t have these issues.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    That said, running during a snow fall is awesome. It's super peaceful.

Yes. Yes it is.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had to learn my own method of proper warming up before heading outside. I made many mistakes of heading straight out doors being being too light on the clothing or too much. Keeping my hands and feet warm are a key component to my run.

I have seen people running in shorts where I am bundled up. It will take several runs, different temps to know your preferred way to dress.

I warmup on my treadmill before heading out side, pretty much this is my first mile per se. I can keep and maintain core temp through the run as long I keep the running going from start to finish, this includes my hands too (still wear gloves in colder temps).

Do not know your traffic in your area, but plenty of traffic here to where folks are driving where their windshields are still frozen and what not, and not paying attention if someone is running/walking on the road. Be mindful of all traffic, wear reflective gear/colors if you need to.
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a few hours south of you and run just fine in the winter. As said above, the right gear makes a difference.
    For me its full length running tights, long sleeve compression shirt, bright running jacket (its always dark in the winter) nice stocking hat or something to cover the ears, warm running socks and gloves. These are all light weight, sweat wicking materials. Don't over do it on the gear. You will warm up fast.
    With this minimal gear I am comfortable down to 15 degrees windchill. Any lower and I just go to the gym and hit the treadmill. And on icy days I go to the gym. Luckily the winters have been drier than usual so that only causes problems a few weeks out of the year.

All that being said, you will have to trust the gear. It is cold and you will feel it, but after a mile or so you will be sweating your balls off like its July.

Good luck.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I use the RW site to give me an idea of what to wear, but I also keep notes on what worked or didn't work for me. Wind chill changes the equation, so does overcast or sunshine. I try not to overdress, and the notes help me with that.

We don't get a lot of snow, but when we do, running on roads becomes difficult because the snowbanks fill the tiny bike lanes. Forget sidewalks, they are often not shoveled for days, if at all. Only one County park gets plowed, and the trail there is only 2 miles long. So if we get much snow, I'll usually use the TM. I've done 20 mile runs on it when marathon training. I also avoid ice because the hills around here get very icy in the shade.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    mmabry72 wrote: »

All that being said, you will have to trust the gear. It is cold and you will feel it, but after a mile or so you will be sweating your balls off like its July.

Good luck.

Much respect for how natural you made 'sweating your balls off' sound. Nicely done.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it. My cutoff is 25 degrees, but that's because I'm a wimp and I have asthma. Generally speaking, there's no such thing as too cold weather -- just not-warm-enough gear.

For me, when it's 30 and below, I go with a wool base layer if the windchill is kicking in, fleece tights, a slim-line hoodie, and a fleece. Then a wool beanie (I knit -- I should make a new one this year), and gloves. 30-40, no wool base layer, but everything else.

I'm lucky that I run in a park where the paved trail is adjacent to the roadway -- so the county crews take care of the trail when they do the road. I can think of *one* time when it wasn't well-maintained, and that was the morning after a huge amount of snow the previous night.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    What is a bit problematic about running in winter is that when conditions are great, its fabulous. But it often isn't consistent good conditions...at least not in areas like northern New England. You may find outside runs are a once a week event for instance.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I bought spikes at Costco last year. They were fairly lightweight rubber and designed to clip on your shoe fairly simply. It didn't work and they came off all the time! I imagine they might stay on if you added a long lace to tie them in place.

This year I'll buy something better that allows for trail running even when there is ice and snow. Advice on the best kind to get is welcome!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I once read that you should dress for 20 degrees warmer than the current weather when you run, and that rule works really well for me. You should feel a little cool at first. Your body will generate plenty of heat while you run.

When I lived in North Carolina (which gets colder than you'd expect), I had thick running tights, warmup pants big enough to wear over them, long sleeved technical shirts, jacket, hat, buff to wear over my nose/mouth, and touchscreen compatible gloves. It was almost never cold enough to wear both layers of pants, and I usually wound up taking off the hat and gloves mid-run. The only thing that really stopped me from running was ice. I wasn't willing to risk injury just to get in a few miles. Now I live in coastal California and I don't have to worry about all that.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Another question: tights, pants ("warm-ups"), or sweatpants ("joggers")?

I wear tights for cycling, and I've already used them for running this year (with a headlamp, no less). I felt slightly goofy wearing the tights for running. I tried wearing shorts over them, but it looks even goofier. Any advice?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I live in the frozen city that is known as 'Winterpeg'. Winnipeg, right in the center of Canada. Our winters are brutal, can expect temperatures of less than -20 C (-4F) for well over three months. Not rare to reach -30C for stretches of a week at a time.
    Pretty tough to run in that, especially when windy and cold. But on mild days, I love running outside. Dress in breathable wear cause I sweat way more than normal, and be careful with ice. Cover your face cause you may not feel cold, but can get frostbite with exposed skin
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I live in the frozen city that is known as 'Winterpeg'. Winnipeg, right in the center of Canada. Our winters are brutal, can expect temperatures of less than -20 C (-4F) for well over three months. Not rare to reach -30C for stretches of a week at a time.
    Pretty tough to run in that, especially when windy and cold. But on mild days, I love running outside. Dress in breathable wear cause I sweat way more than normal, and be careful with ice. Cover your face cause you may not feel cold, but can get frostbite with exposed skin

Hi riffraff2112 ..... I'm an hour north of you ! :)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

I wear tights for cycling, and I've already used them for running this year (with a headlamp, no less). I felt slightly goofy wearing the tights for running. I tried wearing shorts over them, but it looks even goofier. Any advice?

"Embrace the Spandex". And no shorts over them unless you're planning to challenge the neighborhood kids to a game of hoops after the run. :)
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

You want a little wiggle room for layers.... again depending on just how cold it gets .... I would stay away from "sweat pants" .
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Just wear the tights. Even when they get wet they feel warmer than when you've got something flapping around your legs.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Just wear the tights. Even when they get wet they feel warmer than when you've got something flapping around your legs.

Nothing good ever came from flapping.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I learned to run in the winter, and my second run ever in my life was in -20C. I have a worse time in the heat of summer. I live northwest of Chicago. A lot farther north. *waves to my fellow Canadians*

A lot of this has been repeated, but here goes.
    - Get yourself some very good cleats that won't fall off. Ice is the biggest danger.
    - Thermal under-gear. I got mine from Mark's Work Wearhouse.
    - Windproof jacket that covers your rear. An icy blast up the back is the WORST. Well, maybe not the worst. But annoying.
    - Reflective tape/wristband for visibility.
    - Check the weather before you head out, and dress accordingly. You will want to unzip and strip as you go, as you heat up.

gvdgafrbx1hh.jpeg

At least in the cold you can regulate your temperature with a bit of stripping. Not so for the heat. Most days won't be -20C. The only days I ran indoors was when the ICE was too hinky.

Oh, yes. I have my electric blanket laid out on the couch, plugged in, and warming up before I head out.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I live in Chicago, and I must admit that I am not looking forward to the coming season. This being my first since I got into running hardcore, I was curious how some of you guys also in colder climates handle the colder months. Obviously I can run on an indoor treadmill. This sucks, but I will do it if I have to. That being said, assuming hypothermia is not an issue and I am properly clothed, and assuming driving snow is not preventing it, is there anything wrong with pounding out some miles in the cold? Is there a particular training regimen you follow over winter so you will be as good to go as possible once Spring hits? Do you change up your diet in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Last year, I used XC-shoes and 1/8" track spikes when it was icy (with frequent spike replacements). This year, I might try out the Yak-trax that were meant specifically for running and see if they stay in place better than other over-shoe products I've tried in the past. (The track spikes are annoying on dry areas of pavement).

You will need a balaclava in addition to the hat, gloves, and baselayer. Also don't forget an LED vest (I'd recommend over a merely reflective one, because it will be more visible to the cyclists running stoplights if nothing else).

Finding a group to run with helps with the motivation.

be forewarned - you will be slower and out of breath. The cold air is hard to process and the wind sucks it away from you when trying to breath in. I think I finally resorted to 2:1 run/walk intervals and kept to shorter runs. I was starting to get concerned about my endurance until we got a freak warm weekend in February and running suddenly felt ridiculously easy (I PR'd 10 miles by a huge margin that day).