Coffee before workout?

Options
I've been told that Coffee can be good before workouts, did you try that many times? does it really make a difference? or it is a just a psychological effect : you feel like it is good but it is not.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, so no.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm a very low responder to caffeine so that's a no for me.
    Don't really understand the whole idea, or need, for preworkout stimulants at all though.

I go to the gym, I work out, when I'm thirsty I drink water.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant. It may or may not work for you. The only way to know is try it and see.

I agree with sijomial in that I don't see the need for preworkout stimulants. I sometimes have a cup of coffee at some point before a workout, but that's mostly just because I like coffee. I've never noticed any difference in how my workouts go whether I drink it or not.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your tolerance to caffeine. Personally, a cup of coffee isn't going to do anything for me. But taking a 200mg caffeine pills with that cup of coffee gives me an energy boost.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning. I need some coffee first, just to get me going, but that's a morning thing - not an exercise thing.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    2 cups of coffee and 2 bottles of water prior to golfing every morning. I could not golf and pull my clubs miles without my coffee. Believe me I have tried. It was not pretty.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I work out first thing in the morning. I need some coffee first, just to get me going, but that's a morning thing - not an exercise thing.

Same here. Get up, have two cups of coffee. Work out. Don't think it has any impact on my workout - I just like coffee when I get up....
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Coffee releases adrenaline so it gives you energy.

A cup before training gives you a lift.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Interesting read on caffeine....
    https://examine.com/nutrition/science-behind-caffeine/

Note if you are intending using it to boost your workout.....
    "How do you maximize the benefits of caffeine? Use less of it. Or to be more specific, use it less frequently. It may be difficult, but capping off your caffeine intake to once or twice a week is the best way to get more from each cup."
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Coffee and candy work for me
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I often have 20 oz of black coffee before using the StairMaster at the gym but can't say whether it provides me w/more energy compared w/days when I don't drink any coffee beforehand.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I worry about drinking coffee before the gym because I don't want it to cause me to poop!
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have 1 1/2 - 2 cups in the morning before I go for an hour walk. It gives me a boost.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Coffee for the win!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't want to work out on coffee tummy! I do drink tea before working out. Haven't noticed a boost.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can help but consuming it before your workout doesn't really do much. It's more effective to use it as a pick-me-up after you've been working out for a while.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I notice a big difference when I drink coffee before a run. Found out by accident - I had three double shot coffees one morning and promptly got a PB without trying. Now I'll always have a cup or two before and event or if I'm feeling lethargic before a training run.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    i always do. I get in a more productive and enjoyable workout with caffeine.