Can you still lose weight by eating McDonalds occasionally?

Options
124»

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can but for me, personally, I have never found McDonalds filling which puts me off.
  • tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you like, but I did discover the when attempting to lose weight I was eating too little. I went from trying to eat 1200-1300 calories a day to 1900, and I am losing 2 plus pounds a week. Because it is totally doable, I stick to it perfectly...11 weeks. 32 pounds. Eating fast food, drinking beer...as long as it fits!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sure you can eat McDonald's and lose weight if it's within your calories. Fast food tends to be high in calories and low in satiation, but you can eat anything you want within your calories and lose weight.

Speaking for myself, I don't find McDonald's good enough to be worth fitting it into my calories. But I do eat Five Guys about once every two weeks. I have a bacon cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce (which Five Guys is happy to do!) plus a quarter of a small fries. Because I'm diabetic and have to limit carbs per meal, getting the lettuce wrap instead of the bun, and drinking unsweetened tea instead of a sweet drink, saves me enough carbs for the fries. I also make room for a few peanuts!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    ST94NO wrote: »
    Food that allows for 6000 calories to be consumed in a matter of a few minutes are a recipe for disaster. Almost regardless, but expecially if one has a troubling relationship with food, one should abstain from all this *kitten* completely.

Say what now?

My "big" McDonalds meal - which I can eat for lunch then happily not eat anything for the rest of the day - comes to just over 1600 calories. It's a triple cheeseburger, single cheeseburger, and two large fries, with a diet coke. And that's filling. Some days I struggle to finish my fries. I feel sick at the very thought of trying to eat 6000 calories from McDonalds in a few minutes.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Food that allows for 6000 calories to be consumed in a matter of a few minutes are a recipe for disaster. Almost regardless, but expecially if one has a troubling relationship with food, one should abstain from all this *kitten* completely.

I'm going to assume you were being overly dramatic to be funny?

I mean, fast food can be calorie dense, but you don't just hang out in front of a never ending trough of food, nor can you accidentally order 6000 cals worth. I could order 1000 cals and eat it in one sitting, but I'd also be stuffed for the rest of the day.

As others have said, I can do FAR more damage at the holiday table, where someone's mom has cooked enough yummy snacks, dinner, and dessert for a small army. Plus I'll end up going home with equally sinful amounts of leftovers. Way more dangerous than a fast food joint!

Similar to other(s) you didn't grasp my point. In my first sentence I stated that it's a recipe to disaster to consume food which is engineered to be mass consumed (nutritionally), and when it's also calory dense one doesn't need a particularly large time frame. I ate approx 6000 calories when late night trips to Mc'd happened, and the sense of feeling full is absent. In my next sentence I stated that whether or not one should abstain from it completely is different from person to person.

So the point you were trying to make is that it's a recipe for disaster for you because it causes problems with impulse control for you, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everybody. Got it.

I occasionally eat at McDonalds (and Jack in the Box, Wendy's, Carl's Jr., Roberto's, etc.) and have never once consumed 6000 calories in one sitting. I've also lost over 70 pounds while still thoroughly enjoying occasional fast food indulgences.

Basically I wrote that it's not good when it's possible to consume a large amount of calories in a short time. That's a recipe for failure, particularly for some. It's not a matter of impulse control. It's just an objective factual statement. Hardly isolated to myself when for example over 70% of the US population is overweight.

I never feel full after eating meat on its own without a starch even with lots of vegetables. Yesterday I had a McDonald's burger for lunch and it was bigger than I was expecting and it kept me so full the whole day that I found myself skipping dinner and being under my calories for the day when I was expecting to be over. Does that mean everyone should stop eating meat without starches because that's what causes me to overeat? 70% are overweight because they eat too much and move too little in general, not because of McDonald's. Food, all food, is easily accessible and relatively cheap, and you can find it everywhere. Taking one single fast food chain and pinning the whole obesity issue on it just because one person finds they need to eat 10 burger (not the norm) is shortsighted.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    neely47 wrote: »
    Like once every week or 2 weeks as long as my daily caloric intake is lower then my body maintenance, and if I exercise 3x/week? Surely, a quarter pounder burger & fries once in a while won't make much difference?

Or do you completely avoid fast food altogether?

I ate at McDonald's almost every day during my recent week-long vacation having a double-quarter-pounder with cheese, a large coffee with 4 half&half creamers plus a large red delicious apple I brought with me and still lost 2 lbs that week. I did do some walking too so I'm sure that helped with the weight loss but I was pleasantly surprised to see that my weight loss rate basically remained about the same (approx 1.5 lbs/week) since I pre-planned my meals to be within my target calories (2300-2400) each day and that included an afternoon stop at McDonald's as there just wasn't another option along my route that was desirable to me. I really thought my weight loss would stall that week due to eating "junk food" every day but since I was on vacation, I really didn't concern myself with it and tried not to go "overboard" with eating by sticking to my daily target calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Like once every week or 2 weeks as long as my daily caloric intake is lower then my body maintenance, and if I exercise 3x/week? Surely, a quarter pounder burger & fries once in a while won't make much difference?

I ate at McDonald's almost every day during my recent week-long vacation having a double-quarter-pounder with cheese, a large coffee with 4 half&half creamers plus a large red delicious apple I brought with me and still lost 2 lbs that week. I did do some walking too so I'm sure that helped with the weight loss but I was pleasantly surprised to see that my weight loss rate basically remained about the same (approx 1.5 lbs/week) since I pre-planned my meals to be within my target calories (2300-2400) each day and that included an afternoon stop at McDonald's as there just wasn't another option along my route that was desirable to me. I really thought my weight loss would stall that week due to eating "junk food" every day but since I was on vacation, I really didn't concern myself with it and tried not to go "overboard" with eating by sticking to my daily target calories.

Isn't it enlightening to have that realization - that you can eat this sort of food, and still reach your weight loss goals?

Not sure about eating McDonalds every day on vacation - when I go on holiday I want to try as many places as I can that I can't get anywhere else - but when we spent a month in Florence a few years ago I took the kids a couple times and I did enjoy getting McDs more than I thought I would - especially at breakfast!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Isn't it enlightening to have that realization - that you can eat this sort of food, and still reach your weight loss goals?

Not sure about eating McDonalds every day on vacation - when I go on holiday I want to try as many places as I can that I can't get anywhere else - but when we spent a month in Florence a few years ago I took the kids a couple times and I did enjoy getting McDs more than I thought I would - especially at breakfast!

Yes it is!...and good to know for future reference without thinking I'm "blowing" my diet and should just say "screw it".

The "fast food" places were along my driving route every day (around early afternoon) & were my only choices and that double-quarter-pounder-with-cheese sandwich at McDonald's is my favorite of all the fast food places. Mornings & evenings I'm at a hotel in a town/city where there are way more choices for decent places to get a good meal that I might not find back home.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    orders 10 big macs or 6000 calories worth of equivalent food and blames McDonalds?? Im sorry but i cant help but laugh at this.

Ignoring the fact that ordering food is an active conscious action, and that one could simply and logically see that they've eaten more than one order, this not the only thing I would never catch myself doing. Paying more than 50 at a fast food restaurant for one meal is not something I would ever do. If I'm paying that much, it better be something great.

I hadn't even thought of the money.

What he's describing isn't like being sat down in front of a free buffet where nothing is portioned out and you don't know what added butter, oil, sugar etc. the food contains and you could lose track. First you have to ask a person for an insane amout of food that's already arranged into somewhat reasonable, although high-calorie portions if you go the combo route. Then you have to PAY for all that nonsense. On a heavy eating day, I might max out at $10 at McD's or Wendy's. Seeing such a massive chunk of my paycheck disappear because of a meal for one would be a punch in the face.

And nevermind the plumbing bills afterward.