Best 'milk' for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk because it is 13cal per 100mil. I like how it tastes too. I use Alpro an it's never been split.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have pointed out that there is no "best". It all comes down to what you like and what you can fit into your calorie budget. While expensive, I personally really like Shatto Milk Company for use with my whey and protein shakes. It's friggin outstanding. Though I use plain old Nestle Quik sometimes also, I just wish they had the vanilla version in powder form.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The only time I've seen almond milk separate is when I accidentally boiled it. I like Cashew milk myself, when I don't want to spend the calories on 1% cow milk. One thing to be careful about though is the large dose of calcium added to the nut milks. Too much calcium isn't good for you and can plug you up.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've found that some brands of almond milk taste much better than others. I've only tried the unsweetened varieties, but my favorite of the almond milk brands is Blue Diamond Almond Breeze in the refrigerated section.
    Some brands can be very bitter, I think.

I actually prefer the taste of soy milk, but I don't consume soy anymore.

BTW: I think that many of the responses you got were based on the title of your thread and not the content of your opening post.
  • jesheckah
    jesheckah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hate the way normal milk tastes, but I've found that I like the way rice milk taste.
  • pbbananacoffeechocolate
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, at 40 calories per cup, is my favorite. I've never had a curdled carton - you must have had a bad one! Yes, it's not a big source of protein, but 2 cups per day is only 80 calories, leaving plenty of calories available for me to get adequate protein from my food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you want something that tastes good, taste different varieties.

I like homemade cashew milk, but it includes cashews, so is NOT low cal, contrary to what some post here. (Store bought is often, not always, just flavored water, so is lower cal.)

Mostly I don't have any reason to use milk, so I don't. I like oatmeal (porridge) just made with water and then with either savory additions or fruit added. If I had it a lot, so for non savory versions (for savory I add egg), I'd want to add some fat, so would probably use the homemade cashew milk or whole milk (if you like it).

For baking, including rice pudding or custard, I would tend to use dairy, you can't just substitute. But I'm sure there are some good recipes for other versions with dairy alternatives if you want to try them. I suspect coconut milk would be tasty in that use.
  • lavenderbrowntwinkle
    Options
    I usually choose unsweetened almond milk. I am allergic to milk so I have tried everything! Coconut milk is too "thick" to my liking and I try to limit my intake of soy so almond milk is my go-to. I usually use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk for my smoothies.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened roasted almond milk. I like the taste but more importantly I have to keep it in the fridge at work (I breakfast at my desk) and no-one will steal almond milk.