Cinnamon in the morning?

Options
Hello,

I'm a morning coffee lover and was thinking if it's a good idea to add a spoon of cinnamon to it?
I'm on a kcal deficit right now and imo it's a good way to resupply those missing nutrition. Any thoughts or ideas?
hc1mz5ew8pba.png

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Let's do some math:

1 teaspoon = approx. 5 g

that would be:
    12kcals
    21mg potassium (recommended daily dose is around 4000mg per day)
    2.65 g fiber
    5% Calcium
    3% Iron
    The rest in utterly negligible quantities.

If you like it, go ahead. But 1 teaspoon of cinnamon is a lot and the risk is that you end up grossed out by it. I often add a pinch (not more than 1/10 of a teaspoon full) to my black tea because I enjoy the taste.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For me, the good way is usually the easy way. A variety of real foods provides you with all the nutrition you need, even when reducing calorie intake to lose weight. You'd have to take in a lot of cinnamon to get any nutritional effect, and spices are usually taken in in small doses. If you like cinnamon in your coffee, enjoy.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Tsp is hardly anything. Its a spice, use it for flavor enhancing.

What are you missing nutritional wise you need replenishing? If your diet is balanced you can get all the nutrition you need through food alone and still lose weight.

The nutritional values posted on the image at 100g made me go wow.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I don't like cinnamon in my coffee but often put it on my toast
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    A whole spoon full in a cup would ruin it. I'd say a spoon full even in a whole pot of coffee would be borderline, taste-wise.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't like anything in my coffee, but there is a traditional cinnamon drink made here usually served when it's cold or after a woman gives birth. It's basically cinnamon tea (water and cinnamon sticks), simmered on low heat with sugar for 30 or so minutes and then each cup is topped with crushed walnuts (they just float on top). It's very aromatic and has a sharp distinctive and warming taste. You should try it sometime when it's cold and you have enough calories, but it's not for the faint of heart - VERY cinnamony.

cinnmaon-tea-with-walnut-2-edited-.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What nutrients are you lacking that you think a spoonful of cinnamon will help with? Why not just take a multivitamin instead of large amounts of cinnamon?
    If you can't get enough nutrients through food maybe your calorie deficit is too aggressive.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm with kommodevaran. Happy dieting. :smile:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Let's do some math:

1 teaspoon = approx. 5 g

that would be:
    12kcals
    21mg potassium (recommended daily dose is around 4000mg per day)
    2.65 g fiber
    5% Calcium
    3% Iron
    The rest in utterly negligible quantities.

If you like it, go ahead. But 1 teaspoon of cinnamon is a lot and the risk is that you end up grossed out by it. I often add a pinch (not more than 1/10 of a teaspoon full) to my black tea because I enjoy the taste.

It gets even worse. Cinnamon is fairly light, it doesn't weigh 5 grams per tsp. It's about half of that, so yes, it's even more negligible and would be a pain in coffee (doesn't dissolve).

If you want the flavor of cinnamon in coffee, though, leave a cinnamon stick in hot coffee for a few minutes. Does not ruin the coffee and you get the flavor you want.

I use so little cinnamon in my tea (open leaves with the cinnamon added into the filter) that I really have no idea how much that stuff weighs. But yeah, negligible is probably the best description.

The flavor is nice though, especially in winter.
    I don't like anything in my coffee, but there is a traditional cinnamon drink made here usually served when it's cold or after a woman gives birth. It's basically cinnamon tea (water and cinnamon sticks), simmered on low heat with sugar for 30 or so minutes and then each cup is topped with crushed walnuts (they just float on top). It's very aromatic and has a sharp distinctive and warming taste. You should try it sometime when it's cold and you have enough calories, but it's not for the faint of heart - VERY cinnamony.
    [snipped image]

I'll have to try this when it gets cold around here. Sounds like my cup of tea :smiley:

• Wscieklyvv
    Wscieklyvv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinion.

After getting into math with it, it's really better just go with multivitamins or find the other way to ressuply :)

Still gonna use it for the taste.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon to my cookie nicecream. Mmmm but not overly helpful nutrient wise as youve discovered :p
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,124 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I don't like cinnamon in my coffee but often put it on my toast

Butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon on toast is delicious!!! :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    100g of cinnamon will likely make you choke on your coffee!
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There has been some research into the efficacy of cinnamon for some conditions such as diabetes and high cholesterol, but at this point it does not seem to be conclusive. Here's a link:

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/cinnamon-and-benefits-for-diabetes