Coffee before workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I drink a decent bit of coffee, but usually through the morning and rarely in the afternoon or evening.

There are quite a few studies that show that caffeine in certain doses can easily impact exercise performance, primarily through changes in hormone levels. Cortisol, adrenaline, and endorphin release thresholds are shown to be lowered with caffeine in your system. Some studies also suggest that substrate partitioning can be impacted, and that in certain cases caffeine become glycogen sparing, thus burning more fat as fuel as well as preserving glycogen for the high intensity portions of endurance training.

I never really notice any impact it has, but studies show that in most cases it does have impact depending on what type of workout you are doing.

sardelsa wrote: »
    Coffee and candy work for me

If you ever get low on candy just flag me down...

free-candy.jpg
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I notice a big difference when I drink coffee before a run. Found out by accident - I had three double shot coffees one morning and promptly got a PB without trying. Now I'll always have a cup or two before and event or if I'm feeling lethargic before a training run.

Same here. I do find a cup of coffee helps me, more with cardio than weights. So I make sure to have a cup on run days. Anecdotal I know.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I work out first thing in the morning. I need some coffee first, just to get me going, but that's a morning thing - not an exercise thing.

This is me too. The coffee itself doesn't give me much of a boost though, but if I wait I end up with a headache
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I go to the gym in the afternoons. Some days I can feel myself sagging and getting sleepy in the afternoon. The first thought is to blow off the gym that day. So I have a cup of coffee. Unless I am genuinely tired, it really helps.
  • takinchi
    takinchi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks to y'all for replying, so in conclusion it depends:it is beneficial for some people and with no effects for others.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    just to add a different perspective, I used to either drink coffee or take a caffeine pill before a workout in order to get that 'boost' (caffeine doesn't give you energy, just the illusion of it), BUT, since losing weight I've become more and more sensitive to it, and having caffeine now is really dangerous as it sends my heart rate through the roof when exercising, to the point where I nearly pass out. So if you want to start using it I'd recommend starting on really small amounts, especially if you already get a noticeable buzz from coffee
  • FooleryTim
    FooleryTim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee while I workout. I just bring my travel mug into the gym and sip between sets. I don't know if it helps, I just like drinking coffee.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Anything before a workout gives me heartburn...which makes afternoon sessions miserable!
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Only if I planning on taking a poop 10 minutes in.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    When I time my caffeine 30 minutes before my runs, I definitely notice the difference mentally. I feel less sluggish and more engaged.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am and have started drinking a monster. Has really made a difference.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I drink half a sugar free red bull before I take my 5-7 mile walk. It makes a big difference in my pace and stamina.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee as I don't like the taste. However, when I've tried other forms of caffeine it's usually given me a boost