How to go on a low carb high protein diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Jay9201 wrote: »
    I've done low carb the wrong way before I was always starving. I love carbs I could eat carbs all day long. But I also struggle with it. I don't understand how to eat healthy and lose weight consistently.

You might be trying to do too much at once.

Eating "healthy", while a goal we should all strive for, isn't necessary to achieve weight loss. Most health markers improve simply with a reduction in weight.

You can take baby steps towards making dietary changes while you address your problems with over-consumption rather than trying to make sweeping changes. This kind of approach is much more likely to be sustainable.

The first and most important thing for you to get a handle of is your calorie consumption.

Start logging your current diet the way you eat now. Don't worry about weight loss yet. Then look at places where you're eating extra calories in foods that are tasty, but you can cut back on a bit. Ten cookies? Try three. 2 tablespoons of oil? Try a couple of teaspoons. 1/4 cup salad dressing? Try a tablespoon. Switch to leaner cuts of meat. Add more vegetables. Leave in the potato at dinner, but maybe cut the dinner roll.

Keep making small changes like this with an eye towards eventually having a diet rich in lean proteins, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, legumes, tubers, low-fat dairy, and some treats in proper proportions fitting your calorie goals.

My dietitian said I eat healthy and I should take t easy but I can't see any non scale victories nor on the scale so I thought look at my nutrition again.

I'll try low carb high fat moderate protein and see if that helps. :)

Have you been eating the right amount of calories? Have you been logging?
  • Jay9201
    Jay9201 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I've done low carb the wrong way before I was always starving. I love carbs I could eat carbs all day long. But I also struggle with it. I don't understand how to eat healthy and lose weight consistently.

You might be trying to do too much at once.

Eating "healthy", while a goal we should all strive for, isn't necessary to achieve weight loss. Most health markers improve simply with a reduction in weight.

You can take baby steps towards making dietary changes while you address your problems with over-consumption rather than trying to make sweeping changes. This kind of approach is much more likely to be sustainable.

The first and most important thing for you to get a handle of is your calorie consumption.

Start logging your current diet the way you eat now. Don't worry about weight loss yet. Then look at places where you're eating extra calories in foods that are tasty, but you can cut back on a bit. Ten cookies? Try three. 2 tablespoons of oil? Try a couple of teaspoons. 1/4 cup salad dressing? Try a tablespoon. Switch to leaner cuts of meat. Add more vegetables. Leave in the potato at dinner, but maybe cut the dinner roll.

Keep making small changes like this with an eye towards eventually having a diet rich in lean proteins, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, legumes, tubers, low-fat dairy, and some treats in proper proportions fitting your calorie goals.

My dietitian said I eat healthy and I should take t easy but I can't see any non scale victories nor on the scale so I thought look at my nutrition again.

I'll try low carb high fat moderate protein and see if that helps. :)

Have you been eating the right amount of calories? Have you been logging?

Yes I log I eat approx 1,300 -1,400 calories a day and my TDEE is around 2,000. I'm rounding up I can't remember my exact macros from iifym. I'm watching my macros closely and I've noticed 50% of what I eat daily is mostly carbs which I want to work on. I want to reduce that and up my fats and protein.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    hesterific wrote: »
    LCHF has shown to reduce visceral fat tremendously. Include IF or extended fasting once your body is fat adapted for those last stubborn lbs and watch it literally melt away. Mother Nature isn't stupid, we were svelt and strong before grain farming, winter storage foods and sugar. This calories in, calories out is a new way of thinking (relatively speaking) and has been proven wrong 100 times over. Not every calorie is created equal, some have a hormonal response.

Could you point us to some peer reviewed studies showing that LCHF reduces visceral fat specifically? And where CICO has been proven wrong? Please and thank you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    LCHF has shown to reduce visceral fat tremendously. Include IF or extended fasting once your body is fat adapted for those last stubborn lbs and watch it literally melt away. Mother Nature isn't stupid, we were svelt and strong before grain farming, winter storage foods and sugar. This calories in, calories out is a new way of thinking (relatively speaking) and has been proven wrong 100 times over. Not every calorie is created equal, some have a hormonal response.

Could you point us to some peer reviewed studies showing that LCHF reduces visceral fat specifically? And where CICO has been proven wrong? Please and thank you.

This^^ Please support these claims.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

Except there are thousands of studies that support energy balance, while there are only blogs to argue against it. I have worked with a lot of low carbers who hace gained weight or struggle to lose weight. And its ironic because the longest living and healthiest people in the world are 70% carbals... mainly from grains.. sooo...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

LOL, care to debate what people were eating prior to the Neolithic Revolution with an archaeologist?
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I tried that diet 20 years ago when I read a book called "Protein Power". Sounded good at the time, but didn't work for me. Here is what Mayo Clinic has to say https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/high-protein-diets/faq-20058207
    Whatever works as long as it is healthy.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Higher protein levels help with several things. It increass the satisfaction/fulness feeling and helps reduce cravings - making it easier to keepo a diet going. High protein levels helps with reducing the amount of muscle wastage from dieting as well.

You will still need carbs and fats - but adjusting the macro settings and using the nutrition tracking for foods helps.

Im on a high protein diet.
    My go to meals are

lean steak/chicken breast/turkey/white fish/lean pork
    Plenty of fat free dairy - Fage/skyr/fat free cottage cheese/fat free fromage freis/quark.

plenty of vegies for vitamins.
    I base my meals around the protein content and add vegies to bulk up.
    Fruit for snacks.