Need some help to fix an unhealthy mindset

Options

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have frozen dinners on the rare occasion but really don't like the taste of them much. If they work for you and keep you in a calorie deficit then that is different. Just be mindful that most a very high in sodium which can cause fluid retention and mask weight loss.
    I remember the days of catering for an allergic child. Thank God she has grown out of her milk allergy and I now only have to worry about peanuts. One thing you can do to avoid frozen meals and not having to cook too much is to double recipes and freeze half. This can be special meals for yourself, your fussy toddler, or your child with allergies. A bit of work to begin with but it saves a lot of time once you have multiple meals in the freezer. Just having meals with your standard meat and veg works well too. For a while I was dealing with a vegetarian. Pasta worked well. I'd cook the mince in one saucepan, a vege sauce in the other and then just combine the 2, leaving a serving of the sauce behind for the vegetarian. You would just have to be mindful that a serving of pasta is actually quite small meaning you should have a bowl which has a lot more sauce than pasta. There are other meals I adapt which means slight changes caters for all.
  • teags84mfp
    teags84mfp Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I have frozen dinners on the rare occasion but really don't like the taste of them much. If they work for you and keep you in a calorie deficit then that is different. Just be mindful that most a very high in sodium which can cause fluid retention and mask weight loss.
    I remember the days of catering for an allergic child. Thank God she has grown out of her milk allergy and I now only have to worry about peanuts. One thing you can do to avoid frozen meals and not having to cook too much is to double recipes and freeze half. This can be special meals for yourself, your fussy toddler, or your child with allergies. A bit of work to begin with but it saves a lot of time once you have multiple meals in the freezer. Just having meals with your standard meat and veg works well too. For a while I was dealing with a vegetarian. Pasta worked well. I'd cook the mince in one saucepan, a vege sauce in the other and then just combine the 2, leaving a serving of the sauce behind for the vegetarian. You would just have to be mindful that a serving of pasta is actually quite small meaning you should have a bowl which has a lot more sauce than pasta. There are other meals I adapt which means slight changes caters for all.

Wow Lillymoo, my daughter has the milk and peanut allergy as well as egg whites. Its comforting to know others are in the same boat, but I sure am glad your daughter has outgrown the dairy one. Fingers crossed for my daughter too.

To be totally honest, I am having uneasy feelings about dinner in general, that is why I am gravitating to a ready made meal. I can eat healthy and know exact cals for breakfast, lunch and snacks, I can control it somewhat. I have no idea what is healthy anymore and the things I cook for dinner for the kids are carb rich, things I have tried to steer away from.

I still can't get the fear out of my head about eating a bowl of bolognaise for example, crazy I know. There is this irrational fear that I won't lose weight eating what the family eats for dinner. Sigh.......
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    teags84mfp wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Wow Lillymoo, my daughter has the milk and peanut allergy as well as egg whites. Its comforting to know others are in the same boat, but I sure am glad your daughter has outgrown the dairy one. Fingers crossed for my daughter too.

To be totally honest, I am having uneasy feelings about dinner in general, that is why I am gravitating to a ready made meal. I can eat healthy and know exact cals for breakfast, lunch and snacks, I can control it somewhat. I have no idea what is healthy anymore and the things I cook for dinner for the kids are carb rich, things I have tried to steer away from.

I still can't get the fear out of my head about eating a bowl of bolognaise for example, crazy I know. There is this irrational fear that I won't lose weight eating what the family eats for dinner. Sigh.......

I had that mindset with bolognaise as well. Too much fear put into us about carbs, which are actually not evil. These days I have more vegetable in the sauce than I do meat and the servings of pasta are much smaller. I use the recipe builder for accurate measurements of calories. Add each ingredient then once cooked (in this case minus the pasta) I weigh the pot (I have a word document now with all pot weights), the pot and the food then deduct the two. I divide that number by 100 and have each serve at 100 grams. Pasta would then be added separating. Added bonus is all my favourite recipes are now here so I don't have to search recipe books and the internet all the time for them.
  • teags84mfp
    Options
    When I find myself getting a bit too obsessive for my norm I set my calories to maintenance, then try to eat reasonable. No restrictions, just eating without overeating and making sensible choices. Whatever calories that ends up bringing me at the end of the day it's all well and good as long as I'm not above maintenance. I don't try to hit a certain restricted calorie goal, I just try not to go over maintenance. This results in a comfortable deficit on most days ranging between 1 and 800 calories but I find myself averaging a deficit of about 300 without excessive effort put into it. The loss may not be predictable, but would be focusing and working on your eating habits instead of focusing on exact calories. I'm not sure how well this would work for you as I already have a certain understanding of my eating habits and what is sensible and what is not (I don't restrict much when I diet so the way I eat while dieting is not very different from how I eat in maintenance), but it's worth a try. Even if it doesn't produce any loss at first, at least you will learn more about yourself and your habits and see in what minor ways you could change your diet without making radical and stressful changes that would backfire - away from the restriction and diet mentality and closer to how you see yourself living after you've lost the weight. Like training wheels for maintenance, if you will.

Fantastic and insightful advice thank you. Yes when I do "diet" I go very hard at it indeed. That is why i have never maintained my weight, I just deprive myself way too much when losing and dont think of what will happen when I reach my goal. In fact I have never really eaten normally or intuitively since hitting puberty. I will take your advice on board and aim for small sustainable changes!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    OP-I want to complement you on coming back with an open mindset. You'll be fine, just wait and see. It takes awhile to find that "sweet spot" where you're losing, but still have energy and are satisfied. It does exist, just try some of the suggestions given until you find it. I wish you all the best.
  • teags84mfp
    Options
    OP-I want to complement you on coming back with an open mindset. You'll be fine, just wait and see. It takes awhile to find that "sweet spot" where you're losing, but still have energy and are satisfied. It does exist, just try some of the suggestions given until you find it. I wish you all the best.

Thank you snowflake, you are so kind. Thank you everyone for all the love and support. So nice to have people cheering me on!
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Regarding the bolognaise...I am the same height as you, 15 years older, and less active by the sounds of it. I am losing a pound a week on average eating spag bol and lasagne regularly. I like to add lots of vegies to mine, plus kidney or canellini beans. I used to grate the vegies but now my kids are teenagers they don't care if they have chunks of vegies in there. :)

I've lost 8kg so far (18 pounds I think) & I have starchy carbs with pretty much every meal.

It's interesting that carbs are now demonized. For my generation, fat was the baddie. I still have a bit of that "all fats are bad" thinking pop into my mind sometimes.

ETA: Just read your last post. You are a fellow Aussie...I don't need to talk in pounds for you lol! And yes, time for sleep. :)
  • teags84mfp
    Options
    Regarding the bolognaise...I am the same height as you, 15 years older, and less active by the sounds of it. I am losing a pound a week on average eating spag bol and lasagne regularly. I like to add lots of vegies to mine, plus kidney or canellini beans. I used to grate the vegies but now my kids are teenagers they don't care if they have chunks of vegies in there. :)

I've lost 8kg so far (18 pounds I think) & I have starchy carbs with pretty much every meal.

It's interesting that carbs are now demonized. For my generation, fat was the baddie. I still have a bit of that "all fats are bad" thinking pop into my mind sometimes.

ETA: Just read your last post. You are a fellow Aussie...I don't need to talk in pounds for you lol! And yes, time for sleep. :)

Haha yes Jo, G'day mate! Lovely, a fellow Aussie yay! Yes we can speak in kgs and centimetres lol. I just put my stats in pounds to be courteous to our American friends on here
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Haha yes Jo, G'day mate! Lovely, a fellow Aussie yay! Yes we can speak in kgs and centimetres lol. I just put my stats in pounds to be courteous to our American friends on here
    I'm Norwegian, so I use kilos and centimetres. Just don't talk to me about kilojoules :#
  • teags84mfp
    Options

I'm Norwegian, so I use kilos and centimetres. Just don't talk to me about kilojoules :#

Haha good to know thank you! You have been very kind and helpful to me. I would love to visit your country one day!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It is night time here in Australia, however starting tomorrow morning, I am going to have a bowl of porridge with milk and a banana because I love oats, and I no longer need to fear carbs. This is truly freeing. xxx

this part is very satisfying to read. reminded me of one of those exorcism movies lol. good job OP.

Indian here, and same.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This is the coolest thread I have read on here in a while. Thanks for posting. There are so many people in your same position that can draw inspiration from all that's been written here.

Please pop back in and keep us posted on how things are going.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have no control around food anymore. I had so much willpower last year and now its gone. I want to be healthier and within a healthy BMI. I can go 1 week eating really well, then gorge on food. I don't feel sad or bored really, I have no idea why I am eating like this. I feel really lost and want to heal from this. I feel incredibly ashamed when people see me now, having seen me looking so thin and healthy, to now. Its very embarrasing as it means people can see I have no control.
    I think that you eat because you like food, and you have been thinking that food is the enemy. This creates an inner conflict, and you eat when you can't handle the pressure anymore, and overeat because you feel that you gave in and lost control. We can do a lot of hard and painful and even dangerous things for a while, but sooner or later, that has to stop. I also think that your perception of being and looking healthy and eating well, may be a bit skewed - if you lost weight by starving yourself, you weren't healthy, you were just thin, and if you end up gorging, the diet you are aiming for, can't be good for you. You can't rely on willpower for such a basic need as eating.
    For me, I cannot figure out if having small treats within calorie allowance is the best way, or simply abstaining from them all together. I have never felt satisfied eating a small chocolate, it just gives me a taste and desire for more.
    The reason you don't feel satisfied by a small amount, may be that you think that you shouldn't even eat any of it in the first place. This will lead to building up a great, but unrealistic expectation, and not paying attention when you do eat it, and eating more to try to get the pleasure you were expecting, and working hard to forget it afterwards. If you allow yourself to enjoy the treat, for real, not just let yourself eat it because you can't resist anymore, the experience will be totally different. This takes time and practice. When it comes to the foods you have trouble resisting now, it can be a good idea to abstain totally for a while, but only if you're clear that this is only temporarily. If you as much as try to tell yourself you'll never have them again, you're going to intensify the cravings.
    For me, losing weight and hunger has always come hand in hand.
    This tells me that you haven't just cut out treats, you have undereaten. You have to nourish yourself, sufficiently, regularly and reliably, or else that rebound hunger will bite you in the behind.
    Trying to restrict treats and carbs completely has created huge cravings.
    Yes. That is a completely normal reaction. Just having this understanding, means that you are on your way to solving the problem.
    You haven't come up with this idea by yourself, this is indoctrination from the diet industry. Most of us have fallen for it. If we weren't so scared and impatient, we would be able to see how normal weight people eat and move, and trust that we are able to do the same and have the same results. Instead, we're led on a wild hunt for our own tails.

Oh my. Wow. I have read your post 5 times. It's like you know whats going on inside my brain. I can't thank you enough for breaking all of this down for me to see it clearly for what it is. What you wrote resonated so strongly with me that I am on the brink of tears.

Yes, that was so well spoken and true when you mentioned my perception of what healthy looks like. Getting to a healthy weight in an unhealthy manner was so so bad. I was literally starving. And I knew it. Seeing my beautiful thick hair in clumps falling out in the sink was devastating for me. Seeing a pale complexion and dark circles under eyes from lack of sleep because I was so hungry was unhealthy. It was far more dangerous than I realised, and I was damaging my body.

And gosh yes, I look at people around me that are of a normal healthy weight, happy around food, exercise for the joy of it, I look at them and try to envison myself like that. A relaxed attitude around food and enjoying from all food groups is the way forward for me. Thank you again for your insight, it has made me really look deep within myself and excited about making changes towards better health.

It is night time here in Australia, however starting tomorrow morning, I am going to have a bowl of porridge with milk and a banana because I love oats, and I no longer need to fear carbs. This is truly freeing. xxx

I agree. Her posts are great and insightful. I enjoy reading them.