How many times to lift

Options
Hi
I'm back to the healthy lifestyle after having my second baby and I have around 40lbs to lose! I have cut my calories to 1350cals a day and trying to be very strict. I have a busy life and job, hardly get time to go 3times to weight train. I had cut calories only but I only started losing once i started gym and exercising.

I'm doing stronglifts twice a week and focusing on compound lifts but I feel like its not enough to get cut since its a 3xweekly plan.....

Can anyone advise best 2xweekly lifting plan for optimum gains if its possible and what to focus on

btw I'm 5'2 and 178lbs

Replies

• FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    2x a week is better than nothing, but you're not going to get "cut". Full body twice a week is the way to go.

EDIT: Changed my answer because it was stupid. :coffeeforme:
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'll stick with what I'm doing for a few months then see the results. I'll try sneek in a third lift during work hours if I could and if I wont get in trouble with my boss :smiley:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts has more volume than necessary for a novice program. Drop it down to three sets per and you now have time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Getting cut will be a result of your calorie deficit, and lifting will help retain the muscle. If you can only workout twice a week, keep up with a full body program like Strong Lifts as you are doing... At least you will be hitting muscle groups twice per week which is better than once or none at all.

This! ^
    (S, I'm just following you around this morning agreeing with you! LOL)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Getting cut will be a result of your calorie deficit, and lifting will help retain the muscle. If you can only workout twice a week, keep up with a full body program like Strong Lifts as you are doing... At least you will be hitting muscle groups twice per week which is better than once or none at all.

Since this says it all and can't be said enough.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Many women who post here after giving birth are breastfeeding. If that's the case for you, I'd encourage you to take a look at your calories. 1350 might not be enough. You generally need to add 300-500 to support the milk supply. If it doesn't apply, ignore.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts is a well designed program. It's three mostly rotating exercises per session. It works.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you're doing Stronglifts you really need to try and find time for that 3rd day so that you can go A-B-A and B-A-B over the course of two weeks and keep everything balanced.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This post outlines how to set up a 2 day a week program. I think it gives a little more balance than doing Stronglifts twice a week. If you did stronglifts twice a week, you are only hitting quads once a week, etc. This one will hit each group twice, which is idea.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/373801/two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine/p1

It's what my current routine is based off of.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyRaeNOTBusty/view/current-lifting-routine-939307
  • Joel_518
    Joel_518 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Yup, this. I only hit SLs twice a week. Hell, sometimes it's all we got, right?. I go heavy and then spend my days off in recovery. Maybe I'm getting old but I rather feel good and not beat down 'most' of the week. 2 solid days are plenty....IMHO
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Stronglifts has more volume than necessary for a novice program. Drop it down to three sets per and you now have time.

Not sure I agree completely as the program is designed for beginners and progression is more geared to beginners than intermediate lifters.

All of that said, think in a calorie deficit it (5x5) is too much volume and feel that starting strength or doing 3x5 or 4x5 (instead of 5x5) will make it easier to keep progressing, and is easier to recover from (which is needed when you are at a deficit of calories)
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Not sure I agree completely as the program is designed for beginners and progression is more geared to beginners than intermediate lifters.

All of that said, think in a calorie deficit it (5x5) is too much volume and feel that starting strength or doing 3x5 or 4x5 (instead of 5x5) will make it easier to keep progressing, and is easier to recover from (which is needed when you are at a deficit of calories)

Not sure what your argument is. 5x5 is too much volume for a novice & three sets would be better is what I said.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with 2 good, heavy, full body lifting sessions per week. I drop from 3 to 2x/week every year during skating season, and am always pleasantly surprised at the gains I continue to make during that time.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Technically, with a typical upper/lower split you are working out upper body only twice/week and lower body only twice/week. So it seems like going twice/week is just fine as there are many solid upper/lower plans out there. You would just be doing full body twice/week instead.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Not sure what your argument is. 5x5 is too much volume for a novice & three sets would be better is what I said.

My argument is that it isn't too much, unless you are in a deficit, the 5x5 is intended for novice, but not novice lifters while dieting (calorie deficit)
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If I only had two days a week to lift, I'd probably do something like this:

Day 1:

Squat 3x5
    Bench 4x8-10
    Stifflegged DL 3x10 (Probably alternate with block/rack pulls, hesitated DL, or deficit DL)
    OHP 3x5
    Lat pulldown or pull-ups 4x8-10

Day 2:

Conventional DL 3x5
    Close Grip Bench 4x8-10
    Zercher/Front Squat 3x10 (or some other accessory squat)
    Incline Bench 3x5 (barbbell or dumbbell)
    Barbbell Row 4x8-10 (Alternating between Pendlay/Dead Row and an Ed Coan type row)

But I'm not a noob...
  • Chieflrg
    edited October 2017
    Options

My argument is that it isn't too much, unless you are in a deficit, the 5x5 is intended for novice, but not novice lifters while dieting (calorie deficit)
    Absolutely agree that it's intended for lifters not in a caloric deficit. Yet we both know that strength is the primary focus with SL program. Recovery from 45 reps is much easier to recover from than 75 reps and applies enough stress.

Data shows three sets of five are sufficient for stress & adaptation for a novice. Hence one reason starting strength is more effient for strength if possible.

When you factor in the OP is only lifting twice per week because of time constraints...even more reason to work three sets and lift three days until intermediate level is achieved which eccentially is my recommendation. Two days per week are tough to make steady progress in that program, even a novice.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This post outlines how to set up a 2 day a week program. I think it gives a little more balance than doing Stronglifts twice a week. If you did stronglifts twice a week, you are only hitting quads once a week, etc. This one will hit each group twice, which is idea.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/373801/two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine/p1

It's what my current routine is based off of.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyRaeNOTBusty/view/current-lifting-routine-939307

I am hitting the quads and all body parts twice weekly not once if ur familiar with the program its a full body workout but thanks I'll look into other and see what I can incorporate extra.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    SL 2xweek has worked for me. Instead of doing A-B workouts, just do all five lifts both days.