Overweight kids

Options

Replies

• jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would take her in for a "check up" they automatically weigh them and get their height. Don't tell her she is being taken in for her weight. As a kid who was put on diets it is the worst feeling. Keep as much junk food as possible out of the house. I understand if she takes her lunch to school to have a treat just make sure they are kept in a place that she isn't eating them after school as a snack. Set aside a evening or weekend date with her for a movie night and give her a little something sweet for your date night. Taking everything away is not going to work, I would go to my friend's house and just go to town on their snacks.

I am sure at this point she may have been teased about her weight. It only gets worse the older they get. Middle School was the worse, kids lived to make my day hell. I am glad you're tackling this issue now. But like I said don't let her know she is on a diet. Just shop smarter.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Keep junk food out of the house and only buy things in single servings (like one ice cream cone) as a treat after a busy day. Don't talk about diets, just change what you're all eating. Tons of yummy slow cooker recipes and kids will never overeat on veggies or rice. Don't make it seem like a diet.

No pop tarts, no sodas, little juice, NO cereals, nothing sugary. It will help if you all do it together and call it something fun, like a challenge. Who can skip the fastest, who can do more skips than the other, who can jog the fastest to the tree, that sort of thing.

Also, don't be afraid of the scale. My daughter uses mine and I use it only to make sure she's gaining enough weight. It's only used for positive reinforcement - ie "wow look at you, you're growing! 38lbs way to go!".
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do it for both kids! She'll definitely notice if she's the only one asked to go on walks, or who has to limit the junk food.

Talk to both of them about:
    • healthy, not "thin".
    • nutrients and energy, not calories.
    • the importance of not over eating,
    • don't eat when bored, or sad,
    • stop eating before you are stuffed,
    • don't stuff yourself because a food is good, you can always have more later,
    • "Treat" foods are "sometimes" foods. We don't have them every day, and we don't have them multiple times a day, but "sometimes" is fine.

Increase her activity. Sign them up for sports, get them roller skates, bikes, etc. Increase activity as a family, walks, bike rides, hikes. Limit sedentary time.

And don't worry about her "losing weight". She's still growing. We want her to "grow into" her weight, not lose weight.

This is great advice. My 12 year old is allergic to nuts both eaten and airborne dust from any nut. We decided as a family we will all be nut free.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also need to learn to tell her NO when she wants junk food.

I think this is important whether a child is overweight or not. When I was child back in the days when it was extremely rare for children to be overweight and ever rare to see one who was obese, I didn't know one single child whose parents gave them free access to food. Especially junk food (candy, chips, baked goods) but really any food other than wild fruits we picked for ourselves. We were never allowed to just go get food without asking and when we asked the answer was not always yes. When did parents stop controlling their children's diet?

Exactly. Perfect example.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Do not have "junk food" in the house is the best. Go to the doctor have them recommend a nutritionist. I was a fat kid and I do have a complex still today about secret eating my mother from an early age put me on every diet imaginable.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    I just want to echo what a few others have said. Please, do not tell her you are putting her on a diet. My mom did this to me when I was 5 years old and that set me up for a childhood filled with shame and self-esteem issues. Lead by example. She is only 8 so now is the perfect time to intervene because you can pretty much control what she eats. I wish my mom had done this rather than putting me on the same crash diets she went on. Make healthy foods the only option at home. Junk food should be a treat, not a staple.

I understand this completely.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    I just want to echo what a few others have said. Please, do not tell her you are putting her on a diet. My mom did this to me when I was 5 years old and that set me up for a childhood filled with shame and self-esteem issues. Lead by example. She is only 8 so now is the perfect time to intervene because you can pretty much control what she eats. I wish my mom had done this rather than putting me on the same crash diets she went on. Make healthy foods the only option at home. Junk food should be a treat, not a staple.

Ok but guess what... my parents did nothing about my weight. I still grew up with a childhood of shame and self-esteem issues because I was fat.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For my 12th birthday my mom bought me an exercise ball. It still stings to this day. Make better choices yourself and your children will follow. If you make it known to her that changes are being made on her behalf it will effect her more mentally than physically.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Keep junk food out of the house and only buy things in single servings (like one ice cream cone) as a treat after a busy day. Don't talk about diets, just change what you're all eating. Tons of yummy slow cooker recipes and kids will never overeat on veggies or rice. Don't make it seem like a diet.

No pop tarts, no sodas, little juice, NO cereals, nothing sugary. It will help if you all do it together and call it something fun, like a challenge. Who can skip the fastest, who can do more skips than the other, who can jog the fastest to the tree, that sort of thing.

Also, don't be afraid of the scale. My daughter uses mine and I use it only to make sure she's gaining enough weight. It's only used for positive reinforcement - ie "wow look at you, you're growing! 38lbs way to go!".

what a sad life that would be for a child!! and that would definitely make it feel like a punishment/diet. as others said, much better to focus on the positives (exercise, sports) and moderation with food - not altogether banishing all "junk".

I agree you can't cut all of that out just make it a treat or an everything other thing. The only way to teach them moderation is to allow by in smaller amount. When my nieces and nephews come over, I buy cereal and we have it as part of our brunch. It isn't the main item just a side.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    edited to delete
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think making certain foods out as 'treats' isn't the best thing. You're making it seem like this special, rare food and that just makes you want it more. Plus surely associating certain foods with celebrations or reward is the start of an emotional bond with food?

I was lucky in that I did sport from a very young age so I was taught about nutrition as part of that. Getting involved in sport is probably the best thing- it will keep your kids active, it can help their social life, it develops all manner of skills and often involves learning about how to fuel your body (depending on if you're doing casual sport or they join a club)

I'd say teach your kids about nutrition. Not in the sense of some foods make you fat and some foods are off limits, or calories. Tell them about the nutrients they can get from fruit and veg and how that helps them function well,encourage 'good looking' meals with a rainbow of colours, tell them how protein can make their muscles stronger and oats can fuel them for hours, for example. But also tell them how too much sugar can make you feel poorly. So rather than saying something is off limits or simply saying 'no', give them a reason. Try and make foods like fruit and veg more desirable.