WHY DO I STILL FEEL FAT!!!!

Options
Hi. I started my journey April 28/17. I started at 222. Today I weigh 167. That’s 55lbs and only 17lbs to go until my goal. But I feel worse than I did. People say “you like ok great” or “you don’t need to lose anymore”. I’m not seeing what they are seeing. I know they see me in clothes which is basically a filter for life but when I go to get into the shower and see myself in the mirror I just want to cry. I say “oh my god you’re so fat and disgusting”. Why do I feel that way. I look at my before and after pics and intellectually I see the difference but I feel as fat as I always did. Does that feeling ever go away??

Replies

• alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly having to pull up my pants because of weight I lost during a cut and yet in my head, I have not lost anything and I look the same as I did before. Most of the time it's all mental.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How long did you spend overweight with that perception being all you knew? It will take time to feel how you look.
  • Danihoo8
    Danihoo8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and it never felt enough. I agree with the person that said that being overweight is a mentality and it doesn't go away that easy. It's separate to the physical change (obviously highly linked). I would do everyday positive affirmations of self confidence and feeling good the way you are, also challenging negative automatic thoughts with positive and reinforcing ones. And of course seeking help if it gets worse - you wouldn't want to develop an eating issue etc from this. You should be able to fee beautiful just the way you are -unique. My two cents..
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    In April I was 196. When I got down to 167 I still didn't feel as if I'd lost any weight (looked the same, still in the same size clothes).
    When I recently hit 159 my mind caught up with my body and now I can SEE the weight loss and had to finally go down a size
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!!! After having kids and losing weight being naked in the mirror can sometimes be dissappointing but Remember your goal. Your kids have a healthier mom who will live longer. I am sure once your skin has a chance to recover and you lose your last pounds you will see a diiference. And of course if you have always been over weight it might take awhile for the head to catch up with the body.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Self loathing is a bad habit. We all do it to a point, in the beginning the loathing and self criticism seems like a motivator. So, here now you are weighting less...but the habit of criticizing yourself continues. There is also the false perception that losing weight will give us a firm, fit body; the kind of body that lifting weights and resistance training bring.
    Why not take time each day to be grateful for how much you've achieved.. celebrate your accomplishment .. look at yourself and say and think some kind words about yourself. Break the habit of self loathing to loving yourself. Good luck.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some level of body dysmorphia.

I’ve been 25% bodyfat for a period of my life and dieted down to sub 12%. Although in the grand scheme of things, I went from obese to athlete lean, I never felt happy with how I looked.