Keto Day 3 and way under macros and calories

Options

Hi all. I am on day 3 Keto and just not hungry. Below are my remaining macros (grams) and calories for today. Is it a bad idea not to eat? Don't really want to fast until I hit a plateau. I am 225lbs and wanting to loose maybe 50-60lbs

Carbs 13.
Fat 63.
Protein 56.
Calories 833

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • Sonrisayvives
    Sonrisayvives Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on what to eat post workout (hiit)?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You def need more protein than that in a caloric deficit. aim for 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. so if your goal is 160, that would be a min protein of 128 grams. not getting enough protein while in a deficit will lead to a larger % of your weight loss coming from lean muscle, not just the fat you want to lose.
  • simoniman
    simoniman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 4 months in on Keto and I started at 230. My experience was much like yours at the start. I was having trouble hitting my macros, consumed little calories, and lacked appetite, but I forced myself as I didn't want to be nutrient deficient either.

My suggestion is meal plan ahead of time and get a food scale to weigh your portions. Enter your meal into myfitnesspal ahead of time, you may discover that you actually can have a slightly bigger portion than you though. If you like to cook, there are several good Keto Cookbooks on the market and I have become more adventurous with what I try to expand my pallet, but also so that I don't get bored with the same bacon, eggs, and cheese everyday.

I detest avocados, but have forced myself to make them become a major staple of what I consume not only for the healthy fats but some fiber as well. I discovered that Macadamia nuts are full of fats and low in carbs and a good way boost my fat intake.

If I discover I am really low on my fat macros specifically, I look for stuff I can easily consume that will help boost my numbers at least closer to my daily fat goal.

Good luck and stick with it, it really works, don't get discouraged when the weight loss slows!
  • kierrakins
    kierrakins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    simoniman wrote: »
    My suggestion is meal plan ahead of time and get a food scale to weigh your portions. Enter your meal into myfitnesspal ahead of time, you may discover that you actually can have a slightly bigger portion than you though.

I detest avocados, but have forced myself to make them become a major staple of what I consume not only for the healthy fats but some fiber as well.

Entering my meals into MFP ahead of time is the only way I can make sure I am getting enough nutrients on keto. Maybe after more experience I won't have to, but this is a very good suggestion for beginners!

Also, I felt like I was the only one who detested avocados! It's the texture, they're just so terrible...haha
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    rlanicek1 wrote: »
    You need more fat, not more protein. Too much protein and your body will convert it to sugar to use as energy (gluconeogenesis), rather that burning fat, which is the point of ketosis.

In a deficit, nothing is converted to fat. Protein is needed to retain muscle and many find it helps with satiety.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You need more fat, not more protein. Too much protein and your body will convert it to sugar to use as energy (gluconeogenesis), rather that burning fat, which is the point of ketosis.

no - the OP needs more protein, not just fat (their fat is set to 120g a day) - at 80g protein a day, she is not getting enough to really prevent the loss of lean muscle mass (with 56g protein remaining, it means the OP has literally eaten 24g of protein for the day)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I missed that hte 56 grams of protein is left... not sure what the intake goal is but should be 100+
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee is your friend. I get about 40-50 grams of fat per cup. Butter, heavy cream (find one with no carbs and no carrageenan) and MCT or coconut oil. I have at least one a day. more if I find I'm low on fats. also ensure you are cooking your veggies with oils and/or butter, no need to skimp. A lot of people say to go easy on cheeses, but you can find low to no carb cheeses with a high fat count. Hope this helps.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I missed that hte 56 grams of protein is left... not sure what the intake goal is but should be 100+

intake goal is only 80g of protein...at 225lbs currently and a weight loss goal of 50lbs (end weight 175lbs) - then 100g at the minimum (140g would be .8g/overall final goal)
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A few things that work for me...

Fish has both protein and good healthy fat. I personally love salmon and grilled shrimp but there are so many options....easy to come by for home or restaurants. Each fish is different on the fat/protein content. I keep a cheat sheet so I can use it to tweak my macros. My LDL/HDL love me for it.

Cooking/baking is not for everyone but there is a low carb cheese cake, made with philly cream cheese that I love. Not bad on calories, high fat with some protein. I keep slices in freezer so I can grab one when my schedule affects my keto meal plan. About 16 servings from the one cake...and the freezer option is wonderful. I make it once a month...but I cant keep my families hands off them. You would never know it is low carb. If you have a mind to make one...email me. Will send it to you.

Another idea...Keto low carb pancakes with sugar free syrup. The fluffy recipe, not the flat cream cheese recipe. Love them and with real butter in them and on them, great on the fats but also contains some protein.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's normal to not be hungry when starting keto. Fasting or eating under your calorie goal once and a while won't hurt you. Just judge how you feel. If you feel weak, dizzy, nauseated, exhausted, etc. - force yourself to eat more. Nuts and nut butters are an easy way to boost calories.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    PS - normal macros for keto are around 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs. OP's protein goal is fine for keto purposes.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    BTW...depends on your location but if you have butcher shops...look at various sources of your meat. I actually eat bison, goat and lamb and get Reindeer sausage shipped in from Alaska. Really lean meats and they work great in almost any recipe that uses beef. Cant tell you how much I love bison steak but requires extra attention when cooking. Goat stew is so much better, to me, than venison. You may need to up your fat sources because they are lean...but think outside the box.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    We can tolerate a few days with little food, even fasting, if necessary. But restricting food intake for no good reason, unavoidably followed up by binging, is a bad idea. Aim to eat regularly and sticking to a somewhat consistent calorie intake. Also log correctly - if your logging is off, you might even not have a calorie deficit. It's smart to come up with a diet plan that ticks all these boxes:
    - an appropriate calorie goal for your height, weight, sex, age and activity level
    - balanced nutrition
    - food you like
    - easy to stick to
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Um, look at her diary.

94 g of fat today, 117 yesterday -- that's totally fine for keto at the calorie goal she has.

But 44 g of protein yesterday, 52 today -- TOO low. No risk of that pushing you out of keto, or any good goal for a deficit (.8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight, say) doing so, and at keto keeping protein up is even MORE important for preserving muscle. (Source for this are some studies discussed at the calorieproper site I have linked often.)

The way goal setting works with keto is keep carbs below a particular number (under 50 g is usually sufficient, so OP has tons of room to spare with 20), keeping protein at a good number to preserve muscle mass and help with satiety, and filling in the rest with fat. You use body fat to fill in the rest of the deficit (as with any diet), so at a deficit the overall percentage of fat from diet can be less anyway.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

In a deficit, nothing is converted to fat. Protein is needed to retain muscle and many find it helps with satiety.

And this.