Water bottled or refillable bottle?

Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I buy water bottles at work (we get charged a quarter each), but use a refillable at home (filtered through the ice maker in the freezer)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Refillable. It's cheaper and I love ice in my water
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Refillable. I prefer not to do my part in killing the environment.

And this ^
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I primarily drink bottled water at work (recycle the bottles in our break room since we recycling trash cans for plastic & aluminum) & when I'm home it's either tap water or bottled water (recycle those bottles too).

The tap water is awful in the town that I work in (even when I added a water enhancer it still was nasty) & the workplace fridge is usually too crowded to place any refillable kind of water bottles.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Refillable, to me bottled water is such a waste unless your tap water is so bad you can't drink it filtered.

I just drink if I'm thirsty and my urine is the right color, so I don't really think about it. Between water, coffee, tea, soda, and soup I might actually get to a gallon, but I honestly don't know!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have personally seen plastic bottles floating in the ocean far from shore, while i was visiting Asia, so i try to stay away from disposable bottles whenever possible. I also like the taste of my water at home (i have a reverse osmosis system), so for those two reasons, i go with refillable.

I also bought a couple of disposable inline filters and installed them on the drinking fountains at work, which makes that water bearable when i forget to bring a bottle to work.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'll refill anything for water- soda bottles, milk jugs, muscle milk bottles, energy drink cans etc. At work, I have an actual re-usable glass bottle that I use. My work has a filtered system so no problems there.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I only drink to thirst, so it doesn't feel like a chore. But I hate the idea of paying for bottled water, so I'm always drinking either from a cup (at home, where I have a under-sink water filter) or a refillable bottle (at work).
    ritzvin wrote: »
    ditto.

More importantly, I'm also not willing to haul water home like I live in a 3rd world country or disaster area. The idea of doing that just seems so stupid to me when we have the convenience of indoor plumbing.

I'd rather use a Brita filter but my OH prefers his system of filling jugs from the place down the street where it is $0.25 per gallon, so that's what we do. @janejellyroll I could probably sell him on an under-sink water filter though - what kind do you use and do you remember what the cost was? @ritzvin couldn't tell from your post if you have an under-sink water filter too.

He refills regular gallon water jugs; I bought four HDPE Plastic Jugs for me after reading What You Need To Know Before You Reuse That Plastic Water Bottle (I was already uncomfortable about using regular water bottles over and over and over.

Mine is an on-tap filter (Brita).
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I know I drink more when I use my Contigo bottles (sippy type of straw) vs a regular type of bottle or a glass, especially when it's chilled/has ice.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    I know I drink more when I use my Contigo bottles (sippy type of straw) vs a regular type of bottle or a glass, especially when it's chilled/has ice.

OMG!!! I thought it was just me. I just bought a Contigo water bottle. I fill it with ice water. I was just thinking to myself "Why does this water taste so much more refreshing from this bottle than any other water bottle I had!!" LOL!

Like really it tastes colder and more refreshing. LOL!

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My coffee mug is empty and I don't want more coffee today, so I put water in it.

At home I use sodastream bottles and drink more fizzy water then plain.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I only drink to thirst, so it doesn't feel like a chore. But I hate the idea of paying for bottled water, so I'm always drinking either from a cup (at home, where I have a under-sink water filter) or a refillable bottle (at work).

ditto.

More importantly, I'm also not willing to haul water home like I live in a 3rd world country or disaster area. The idea of doing that just seems so stupid to me when we have the convenience of indoor plumbing.

Yes, laziness at carrying in groceries explains a *lot* of my purchasing decisions. They bring water right to my house with tubes, I'm not carrying in anything extra!
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use a refillable bottle. Really convenient
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We have a water cooler at the office of course and I've found a plastic tumbler to be the best choice for me. Something about a straw always makes me drink way faster and way more.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I stand at the sink and chug a glass at a time.

If I want portable water, refillable.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Refillable. I've found a cup that I really like, so drinking water in that cup with a straw works best for me. I hate the taste of bottled water, but we do have a Brita pitcher at home.
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    refillable!! i have a double walled insulated stainless steel water bottle with flip up straw. have had it for a few years now. i can fill it with ice & water in the morning and still have ice after i get home from work. also, to me, it seems like plastic or polycarbonate affect the taste of the water. maybe that's just my own idiosyncrasy but its why i prefer the stainless. i have my water bottle with me constantly. there is a filtered water bottle filling station at work, so i can refill as much as i want. i typically drink 80-120 ounces depending on weather and activity levels. oh, and we have well water. i cant stand the taste of city water.