So disheartened

Options
I just need to vent and get this out before I go to sleep this morning.

I'm frustrated with my lack of progress. I've slowly gained back all the weight I lost over the past 4 years. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been - 221 lbs. And over the past several months when I've really dug down and really monitored my calories and exercise, I've only lost and gained the same 3-5 lbs. I'm not trying to over restrict my calorie intake, most days it's a struggle for me to eat more than 1200 in a day. I'm working with a personal trainer twice a week and have been for over a year now. I'm now adding cardio and lap swimming on some of my off days to bolster my activity level. And still. Nothing to show for it on the scale. I only weigh in once a week at a weight loss support group. I'm just at a loss. I'm so upset with myself for gaining all the weight back and now when I'm really really trying to do something about it, nothing's coming from it. I don't want to give up. I don't want to be like this for the rest of my life. I don't want to hate myself anymore than I already do. I'm tired off not seeing any progress for all I've been doing. I'm just at a loss.

Sorry for the post. I just needed to get this out there in the open to be more honest with myself.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When you say you've really monitored your calories, how have you been doing this? Do you use a food scale for solids and measure all liquids? Or are you guesstimating/scanning/measuring everything?
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public so we can help you?

You can't out-exercise a poor diet. You have to eat fewer calories than you burn in order to lose weight. You won't know if you're eating at a deficit unless you're carefully weighing/measuring and logging ALL your food.

If you are logging everything (and you're sure about the correct calorie counts & measurements), and still not losing weight, maybe you need to consult a doctor. There can be medical reasons why your body retains weight.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    This right- you can hardly manage to consume 1200 with an aggressive exercise program?

If you don't have a medical issue, you're eating too much. Makes me wonder if you are crunching the numbers right. Are you doing WW?
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing what you say, at 1200 calories and working out you should see results. But then again if you don't have the energy to put enough effort out there you might not be getting the results you want.

How are you measuring your food? Are you counting every morsel that enters your body? Are you eating back exercise calories? Etc.
  • sereynolds10
    sereynolds10 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I measure out what I eat with measuring cups and/or scales. I guess that only thing that's hard or I haven't thought of is weighing fruit or veggies - in that regard, I am guessing some of the time (I measure out lettuce and most veggies I've cut up). I haven't noticed any changes in clothes. And as for me struggling to eat, I have no appetite most days. That's what I mean by having difficulty getting to 1200 calories. I generally do not eat the extra calories that I burn off with exercise. All my recipes come from a blog (Skinnytaste) and I import the recipes and alter them as I need to (with changes to ingredients or what not). So, I'll be more diligent with weighing and measuring fruits and vege
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I measure out what I eat with measuring cups and/or scales. I guess that only thing that's hard or I haven't thought of is weighing fruit or veggies - in that regard, I am guessing some of the time (I measure out lettuce and most veggies I've cut up). I haven't noticed any changes in clothes. And as for me struggling to eat, I have no appetite most days. That's what I mean by having difficulty getting to 1200 calories. I generally do not eat the extra calories that I burn off with exercise. All my recipes come from a blog (Skinnytaste) and I import the recipes and alter them as I need to (with changes to ingredients or what not). So, I'll be more diligent with weighing and measuring fruits and vege

can you open your diary?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Have you been to the doctor lately? Our usually advice is to tighten up logging. However, your lack of appetite may possibly be a symptom of another problem.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the right foods? Maybe heavy carbs foods even if within/under your total calories? Just things to look at.

why would that matter?

Retaining water maybe? But I can't see it lasting for several months.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the right foods? Maybe heavy carbs foods even if within/under your total calories? Just things to look at.

why would that matter?

Retaining water maybe? But I can't see it lasting for several months.

:huh: i dont think so.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    It is almost like they want the woo to be true...