• cottoncandyclover
    cottoncandyclover Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If I didn't already have a plan for this week's lunch (collard green and black eyed pea soup http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/collard_green_black_eyed_pea_soup.html sans bread, on top of polenta), I would recreate the salad I just ate for lunch today in a jar.

From the bottom up, it would be:
    -1 tbsp olive oil (or flax seed oil)
    -1 tbsp lime juice
    -1/4 c reduced sugar craisins
    -1/2 c cooked brown rice (the one I ate for lunch today had 100 grams. I weighed but suspect this weight is closer to 1 c)
    -3 cups baby arugula
    -20 hazelnuts
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I went with a taco salad.

tsiaj.jpg

Lot of work not to eat a serving afterward. Can't wait to try it out for lunch tomorrow.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    These are fun ideas! I'm such a pig when it comes to the greens part of salads (like I use the normal amounts of all the other stuff but 2 or 3 times as much green stuff), that I would need an embarrassingly HUGE jar to fit mine! :# I guess I could get a small jar for dressings and toppings, and bring my lettuce and other greens in a big bag or tupperware container separately and dump them all together when it's time to mix? Maybe that defeats the whole purpose of the salad in a jar. I guess it's back to finding an enormous jar to accommodate my greens. I'm good at complicating things...
  • Tassiemum_3
    Tassiemum_3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you not a huge lettuce fan will try on Monday after grocery shop.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The taco salad jars where quite good. The corn chips absorbed some moisture and went soggy but the greens held up well and it was better cold than I anticipated.

Went with a more traditional garden style salad with canned chicken this week. Didn't jar the dressings so I could follow my whims each day. Today's was Raspberry vinaigrette. 440 calories total.
    2n89xpf2juqg.jpg5pknb9tikjt7.png

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Here is an idea to keep your dressing and toppings separate until ready to eat. Use re-cycled fruit cups or applesauce cups. Dole, Mott's and Musselmans fit a wide mouth jar. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/masonables.html

Mason%2BJar%2BSalad.jpgCalifornia%2BSushi%2BMasonable3.jpg

Or check out this Kickstarter page Mason to Go. They are going to produce a lid that joins a standard mouth jar to a wide mouth jar so you can do the same thing without plastics. https://kickstarter.com/projects/kentuckyhome/mason-to-go-masonables-easy-mason-jar-lunchables

b5766a32eb894a0fa62ab4e416272dcd_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1481555087&auto=format&q=92&s=65cec15f96e822967d0ec74994a08fad
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. How about a glass Pyrex storage bowl?
    Can someone post their fork? I don't have a fork in my house that wouldn't require me to put half my hand in the jar to get out the last of that salad. Sounds like a gimmick for regular salad, but if it helps you eat a great lunch, that's fantastic. They look yummy, just challenging for people like me to eat :blush:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    hmrambling wrote: »
    m9wnm0.jpg

5xpd2f.jpg

juephv.jpg

Ohhhhh!!!! Wait, you dump it out?? Jeez. I must be too literal! Now they're ALL making sense!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    Options
    Sooooo excited to see this thread continue!

@U2R2 I bet your taco salads were exciting to think about! It's really hard when you make a good one to not eat it right away for sure! I felt that strongly about the chicken-mango-almond. Since then our household has switched over to just fish (pescitarian), and I have learned about the joys of frozen mango. I'm excited to try out a vegihooligan version of that one!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 HA! :smile:

There were quite a few days when I worked on the crisis team that I ended up eating straight out of the jar. Once with a spoon (very challenging). If I were going to do it again, I would pack a collapsible bowl in my lunch bag now that I know they exist.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    Options
    @dklibert Thanks for the posh upcycle idea on how to keep crunchy bits from getting too much moisture with the reuse of fruit cup. Genius!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @jenilla1

No excuses! They come in up to gallon sizes!

30253413173_e420bedb30.jpg

These are "vintage" small mouth sizes. Wide-mouth 64 oz (half gallons) are totally a thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen some 1.5 quart sized ones kicking around at a hardware store, too.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Burrito in a Mason jar :)

74uehcv6na8s.jpg

kqr7fnyshst6.jpg

d9qj502kf6bk.jpg