Is running making me fat?

Options

Replies

• azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Is running making me fat? . . .

No. Taking in more calories than you're using is the issue. Cut your calorie intake.

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Are you maintaining a caloric deficit?

If yes, then no.

If no, then no.

The only thing making you fat is an excess of calories.
  • wildshrubbery
    wildshrubbery Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Consuming more calories than you burn is what causes fat gain/weight gain. You said weight has been all over the place, does this mean you lose gain the same weight over and over gain? This sounds like maintaining weight with normal daily fluctuations.

Have you tracked your calorie intake here or else where?

I edited the OP to include diet info. I JUST started using this to track as accurately as possible instead of keeping a running tab of estimates in my head (and I'm well aware of the pitfalls of guesstimating, so I'm not inclined to guess that a 350 calorie muffin is 150 calories).

But I am certain I was eating more last year. I used to bring 900 calories worth of 'Sunrise Energy Bars' in a ziplock bag to eat at my desk before lunch, eat what was usually a potato/rice-based lunch leftover from my potato/rice-based dinner, And eat some other recklessly calorie-laden dinner.

Now I'm counting and restricting and stressing and getting fat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm losing my mind. I feel like it's obviously a vicious cycle of too intense of cardio somehow exacerbating body fat increases,

Simply eating too much is the most obvious cause.

You'd think right. But I was eating more when I was skinnier than I wanted to be. My overall suspicion is that my blood-sugar is a little on the volatile side (I might be borderline diabetic as I had gestational diabetes with one of my three pregnancies)

I've read that intense cardio burns up all your blood sugar causing insulin spikes that block bodyfat metabolism and trigger your body to store fat as much as possible.

"High Insulin Levels Stop Fat Loss and Cause Weight Gain. It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time"

Are you logging accurately and consistently now? Were you logging accurately and consistently then? Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Get a food scale and use it while focusing on getting your food log as accurately as possible for at least 2-3 weeks. Double check that you are using correct entries in the database (many are user entered and wrong). If you are eating back all your exercise calories, it's possible they are overestimated.

It sounds like you have been stressing over this for awhile. It might not be a bad idea to first take a couple of weeks, eat maintenance calories and dial back the exercise. Just take it easy for a couple of weeks and don't think about your weight. You ARE eating too much - calories determine weight gain and loss. Insulin spikes don't trigger fat storage if you are eating in a deficit, your body can't store energy it doesn't have. Hang in there, and good luck!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    So you're getting Rungry, and overeating and not logging.

Copy all.

Track your intake and you'll go right back down.

I feel like this post was directed at me :laugh:

Runger is real. :s So real.

2 half marathons this year have proved that the runger is real!

not as real as swimger...just saying!

That alone I think would keep me from a tri. Holy cow. I would eat my own limbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm losing my mind. I feel like it's obviously a vicious cycle of too intense of cardio somehow exacerbating body fat increases,

Simply eating too much is the most obvious cause.

You'd think right. But I was eating more when I was skinnier than I wanted to be. My overall suspicion is that my blood-sugar is a little on the volatile side (I might be borderline diabetic as I had gestational diabetes with one of my three pregnancies)

I've read that intense cardio burns up all your blood sugar causing insulin spikes that block bodyfat metabolism and trigger your body to store fat as much as possible.

"High Insulin Levels Stop Fat Loss and Cause Weight Gain. It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time"

I have exercise induced hyperglycemia (blood sugar levels well over 200, sometimes 300 during long runs). My levels are all otherwise normal (and return to normal after I stop exercising). I just trained for and ran a 17 mile race. I lost weight when I ate less than my TDEE, I gained when I ate more. The runger is real-and especially pronounced when my long runs hit the 10-12 mile range. Beyond that, I was eating 6,000+ calories on long run days and was still hungry. If you weren’t tracking your intake before you are going entirely on perception. My perception is that my 6,000+ days were maybe 3500. Thankfully, I was tracking and I ended up banking some calories during the week so my higher intake days didn’t leave me in a calorie surplus because the hunger was out of control. Go get your blood sugar checked and what not, but I’m thinking getting your intake levels in check will solve your issues.

Yep, 10 miles plus is my trigger point for crazy runger too!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple(I've only read the OP) but running has increased your appetite far more than lifting did and is causing you to over eat and gain weight. That's common for lots of people. I'm actually the opposite, hard lifting makes me ravenous, lots of running kills my appetite.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Your net cals seem low in your edit, I'm going to lead with that because you need to adequately fuel your body while remaining in deficit (20% deficit is the HIGHEST you should be going). It's a delicate balance, for sure.

A possible answer to your question actually jumped out at me here:
    Also I think it's ironic that this calorie tracker gives literally zero points for weight training, only cardio. Like they could at least give a low-ball estimate, Can I have *15* calorie points for my squats?

Sorry if this was already addressed, but are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP is notorious for way out-of-whack burn numbers for cardio exercises. We're talking hundreds of calories off. Are you using TDEE?
  • srslybritt
    Options
    So you're getting Rungry, and overeating and not logging.

Copy all.

Track your intake and you'll go right back down.

I feel like this post was directed at me :laugh:

Runger is real. :s So real.

2 half marathons this year have proved that the runger is real!

not as real as swimger...just saying!

That alone I think would keep me from a tri. Holy cow. I would eat my own limbs.

Think of that as free weight loss!
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Also this: "being anxious about the fat, it's nearly impossible for me to bring myself to do anything OTHER than run when I get to the gym." doesn't sound particularly healthy. Gaining a little bit of fat, whatever the reason, isn't that big of a deal. Nothing to get overly anxious about.

This. A lot of women experience weight fluctuations based on the time of the month, so you need to look at the broader picture. Focus on trends, not the day-to-day.

• wildshrubbery
    wildshrubbery Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Your net cals seem low in your edit, I'm going to lead with that because you need to adequately fuel your body while remaining in deficit (20% deficit is the HIGHEST you should be going). It's a delicate balance, for sure.

A possible answer to your question actually jumped out at me here:
    Also I think it's ironic that this calorie tracker gives literally zero points for weight training, only cardio. Like they could at least give a low-ball estimate, Can I have *15* calorie points for my squats?

Sorry if this was already addressed, but are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP is notorious for way out-of-whack burn numbers for cardio exercises. We're talking hundreds of calories off. Are you using TDEE?

I've noticed that it overestimates output. When I took a class that used a heart rate monitor, I noticed that the calories burned based on heart rate was already lower than what the machine read, this thing is much higher than the machine readings, but I allow it since it doesn't give me any extra points for the hills.

I also learned from the class that used a heart rate monitor that I wasn't really working as hard as I thought. It wasn't until I got myself into an I-think-I-might-drop-dead-right here level of exertion that I got into that sweet spot with my heart rate.

I have no idea what TDEE is, this is the only tracker I've ever used and I've used it for 3 days because I got fed up