5lb (water) weight gain from a cold??

Options
2»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A sore throat or a stuffy nose during a cold is usually because of inflammation in the nasal and throat passages. Inflammation is just a different form of water retention in those tissues. The water in those tissues has weight which will show on the scale. You aren't gaining weight "at random." Your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to do while fighting off a bug. If your body's natural reactions to stimuli "drive you nuts" then you may have to accept that there are deeper issues at play. Let your body do its thing instead of fighting it just because of a number on a scale while it is trying to heal.

I already know about those issues. I come here for other experiences people have had and reassurance because of those issues. People can be upset for the way I think all they want but in the past, years ago when my ED was bad, I went 10 days with no food and 5 days with no food no water no sleep. I say eating 1400 calories per day with a sore throat and forcing myself to eat even when I dont want to so I wont get weaker is a good step forward. And if I need to come on here to ask for reassurance or if other people think its water I think thats better than starving myself. Thank you though for the first part, it makes sense. I figured inflammation = retention but again I just kind of needed a second view on it (or third etc). Its not against MFP for me to have an ED Im not promoting one so I have a right to be here and ask questions about water retention without being psychoanalyzed. -_- (and not by you but a comment or two prior were a bit too hostile for my blood... obviously Im not comfortable discussing my "issues" that in depth with strangers so I think they should lay off) I do appreciate the support I get here and MFP keeps me ON track not off. Being told its normal or could be helps me keep myself from losing it... even if I logically should know it myself well I need to hear it elsewhere. Just like when people post photos saying do I really look smaller - logic says yes but we all need reassurance and second opinions sometimes.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The swollen ankles are a sure sign of water retention. You really need to stop walking so much if possible (unless it's just part of your getting to/from where you need to go every day) and just focus on recovery and getting in a few more calories! Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:

It is :( No car. I mean sometimes I catch a bus but like the other day I missed it so I walked 6.3 miles home plus I walk between classes (in college) and its a decent sized campus so I get in 1-3 miles just for that. I also walk my daughter to school (about .8 miles total there and back together) and other things... plus I have 3 kids and the younger 2 have delays/disabilities. So Im pretty busy even on slow days. I just read ibuprofen might cause retention and I have been taking that a lot so I wonder if that's contributing. Guess Ill try to lay off of it and see if it helps because I feel so "full" too. I actually feel swollen all over lol but 5lbs? It just seems so excessive... I gained 11 in water once but I was pregnant LOL

I retain water like crazy from iboprofen and it can take a week to go away.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The swollen ankles are a sure sign of water retention. You really need to stop walking so much if possible (unless it's just part of your getting to/from where you need to go every day) and just focus on recovery and getting in a few more calories! Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:

It is :( No car. I mean sometimes I catch a bus but like the other day I missed it so I walked 6.3 miles home plus I walk between classes (in college) and its a decent sized campus so I get in 1-3 miles just for that. I also walk my daughter to school (about .8 miles total there and back together) and other things... plus I have 3 kids and the younger 2 have delays/disabilities. So Im pretty busy even on slow days. I just read ibuprofen might cause retention and I have been taking that a lot so I wonder if that's contributing. Guess Ill try to lay off of it and see if it helps because I feel so "full" too. I actually feel swollen all over lol but 5lbs? It just seems so excessive... I gained 11 in water once but I was pregnant LOL

I retain water like crazy from iboprofen and it can take a week to go away.

That is a while. Geeze. lol. I have taken it often too so that kind of sucks but thank you for letting me know! :) At least I have an explanation besides "I'm a medical anomaly" lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    5 lbs will make your Halloween costume not fit?
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options
    5 lbs will make your Halloween costume not fit?

Maybe maybe not. Not relevant.

"Can a cold or ibuprofen lead to water retention and has it happened to anyone?"

Please, if anyone has any other questions or analyzations to give me that are not related to that Q please dont bother. I already know I have issues with food and weight and I have my entire life, part of why I seek this outside experience and reassurance because it keeps me from falling back into patterns of my ED and starving myself or gorging on food. So these issues won't be going away and it's not relevant to the question. Please refrain from butting into my personal issues. Thank you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ok so I keep gaining water (I would assume?) weight at random its driving me nuts!!! I can barely eat with this sore throat. Ive been walking an average of 7 miles per day. Eating 1000-1400 (depending on what I can make myself eat because its painful). And Im up 5 lbs? wth? Can being sick cause water weight? On top of it my bad ankle hurts (8 screws a plate and a wire in it) and feels swollen. Could water retention cause that too?

You initial questions regarding your cold, water retention, and swollen feet, didn't include ibuprofen, or has this happened to anyone else.

Most are trying to help with your initial post, not what has been added and then surmised in your 2:54pm post.

People are trying to help.
    ie: If your costume won't fit is a reasonable question as we could have said up your water and drop your carbs for a few days, if you are feeling better, to get you into it.

You have been here a long time you know how things work- hang tight you still have time to feel better for Halloween.

Cheers, h.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Any chance it's not just a cold? A sore throat can also be caused by a bacterial infection, in which case some antibiotics might get you up and running. Might be worth a doctor's visit to make sure, if you haven't been already.

If you're still feeling puffy by Halloween, the right undergarments can make a difference. There's a reason stars swear by Spanx on the red carpet.

Hope you have a great Halloween!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Ok so I keep gaining water (I would assume?) weight at random its driving me nuts!!! I can barely eat with this sore throat. Ive been walking an average of 7 miles per day. Eating 1000-1400 (depending on what I can make myself eat because its painful). And Im up 5 lbs? wth? Can being sick cause water weight? On top of it my bad ankle hurts (8 screws a plate and a wire in it) and feels swollen. Could water retention cause that too?

You initial questions regarding your cold, water retention, and swollen feet, didn't include ibuprofen, or has this happened to anyone else.

Most are trying to help with your initial post, not what has been added and then surmised in your 2:54pm post.

People are trying to help.
    ie: If your costume won't fit is a reasonable question as we could have said up your water and drop your carbs for a few days, if you are feeling better, to get you into it.

You have been here a long time you know how things work- hang tight you still have time to feel better for Halloween.

Cheers, h.

The point is I dont have a logical train of thought on this topic so I dont ever know how things work truly. I come here for support. And again even if my initial Q didnt include that it also didnt include "Can you also critic my way of thinking and tell me I need to see a therapist? Thanks :)" Because really its not their place and its in the MFP rules that you shouldnt be doing it.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Any chance it's not just a cold? A sore throat can also be caused by a bacterial infection, in which case some antibiotics might get you up and running. Might be worth a doctor's visit to make sure, if you haven't been already.

If you're still feeling puffy by Halloween, the right undergarments can make a difference. There's a reason stars swear by Spanx on the red carpet.

Hope you have a great Halloween!

Totally possible. :/ My kids have it so I truly hope its a cold or something... I think it's a respiratory infection actually or a sinus one to be honest but Im so busy I hate making Dr appointments unless 100% necessary. Thanks for the tip. I will probably see a dr if Im not better by Sunday.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Support doesn't always mean positive reinforcement. The truth might not be what you want to hear but the IS supportive because it's offering up reality not sunshine and rainbows for the sake of blowing smoke up your *kitten* so you don't feel bad.

1000-1400 calories, is that just what you're eating while you're sick? Because with that and all the walking you're doing your body has nothing to run on never mind heal and that will only prolong the healing period. It will also increase cortisol from the stress on your body and the stress you are putting on yourself panicking over 5lbs of water. It's all counterproductive.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    try cutting processed sugar out and stick to fruit and honey. is it possible to take a day off and not go to class so you can stay in your pjs and rest?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    try cutting processed sugar out and stick to fruit and honey. is it possible to take a day off and not go to class so you can stay in your pjs and rest?

Sugar is sugar, in fruit or honey.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Too true! However, a teaspoon of honey feels really good on a sore throat and has natural antibacterial properties. It's as good as a throat lozenge!
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Too true! However, a teaspoon of honey feels really good on a sore throat and has natural antibacterial properties. It's as good as a throat lozenge!

Isn't only manuka honey that has the anti-bacterial properties? Hence it being eye wateringly expensive. And I'll take the numbing lozenge over the honey but honey is delicious.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Support doesn't always mean positive reinforcement. The truth might not be what you want to hear but the IS supportive because it's offering up reality not sunshine and rainbows for the sake of blowing smoke up your *kitten* so you don't feel bad.

1000-1400 calories, is that just what you're eating while you're sick? Because with that and all the walking you're doing your body has nothing to run on never mind heal and that will only prolong the healing period. It will also increase cortisol from the stress on your body and the stress you are putting on yourself panicking over 5lbs of water. It's all counterproductive.

Yes when not sick I eat 1500-1600. :P and it doesnt matter. I didnt ask for any reinforcement. First of all, by reassuring or hearing familiar stories it HELPS me not end up undereating or binging although right now I couldnt binge anyway. lol. Too much pain. But the point is it helps and sitting there analyzing me makes it worse and tbh pushes me and many people with an ED back to it. It's rude and this website specifically says you're not a dr don't judge, diagnose, give medical advice, etc. I didnt ask for advice on that topic or to be told I have "issues" which really we all do and it's not the point of this post.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options

I actually dont eat much sugar of any kind :/ unless it's in my carbs... Today I had one fiber bar (lemon flavor) and it has been sitting in my fridge for like a month or two lol because I just dont eat sugar much. Im more of a salt fiend. And I strongly dislike most fresh fruit. I know, some vegetarian I am. Lol.

That's also true.

I do like honey in tea but Im not sure I have any and my bank account is kind of empty lol

Isn't only manuka honey that has the anti-bacterial properties? Hence it being eye wateringly expensive. And I'll take the numbing lozenge over the honey but honey is delicious.

I want honey and tea now. :/ oh but I think I have lozenges! I forgot I had them...