What's your favorite alternative to popcorn?

Just looking for some new ideas :) Thanks and good luck to you all!

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as an alternative to popcorn? LOL!

I was just gonna say! But more incredulously. :)
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    haha, yes, I know...it's a tough one! I love my popcorn and can't stop eating it. I try portion control, package it up, etc..but I always seem to find the second container...or third. :)
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Popcorn is low calorie. You can air pop it and spray some I can't believe its not butter spray or get some 100 calorie microwave bags
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I refuse to give up popcorn. It's my favorite food! It's a whole grain anyway, high in fiber and whatnot. I just get the Orville Redenbacher Naturals Light - Simply Salted or Sea Salt & Butter; an entire bag is about 288 kcal, so I save room for it in my daily calorie allotment.

On the days I do reeeeeally long runs and burn like 1000+ kcal, I make the Tiny but Mighty Ancient Heirloom Popcorn in my popcorn machine, and I season it with real butter and salt. It's heavenly.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    I pop it on the stove top w/a tiny amount of coconut oil. I'm popcorn obsessed and I don't think there's an alternative.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If you’re looking for prepackaged popcorn, I like Smartfood Delight. The caramel flavor is pretty good. But I really don’t think it beats freshly popped popcorn.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Good Thins crackers - dill flavour. About 80 calories for 15 crackers. Satisfied need for something salty and crisp. I still eat popcorn though!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    If calories are an issue, Pop Weaver's Light Butter Microwave Popcorn is only 220 calories per popped bag.
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    Thanks all... I try not to eat any "light" food. Only full fat, non-artificial, but I appreciate all the ideas. I also have this issue with cashews :) Why are some foods so extra addicting!? Maybe I should've titled this how to stop me from busting into pre-packaged portions that are supposed to be saved for another day. It's my biggest issue, portion control... If you all have any thoughts on that, too, please bring it on. Thank you! :)
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    You also get some tasty flavor sprinkles for popcorn that are low calorie e.g. white cheddar. Good substitute for sour cream and onion potato chips.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    hughjazz74 wrote: »
    Thanks all... I try not to eat any "light" food. Only full fat, non-artificial, but I appreciate all the ideas. I also have this issue with cashews :) Why are some foods so extra addicting!? Maybe I should've titled this how to stop me from busting into pre-packaged portions that are supposed to be saved for another day. It's my biggest issue, portion control... If you all have any thoughts on that, too, please bring it on. Thank you! :)

Can't help you there .. Unless you can find a nearby bodega that sells the 100-calorie bags individually.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin wrote: »

Can't help you there .. Unless you can find a nearby bodega that sells the 100-calorie bags individually.

or a time-locked lockbox?
  • ritzvin

or a time-locked lockbox?

bwahaha- https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Safe-Locking-Container-Height/dp/B00E92JXHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509048315&sr=8-1&keywords=timer+lock (I knew someone somewhere had to make 1 and market it as a diet tool).
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    I have an air popper. That way we can make it how we want it each time. I buy those popcorn flavor powders for the kids. It will last a few days in baggies, if you want.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    My "favorite" alternative to popcorn is Cheetos, but I sense that's not what you're looking for.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I just air pop it every time, and I adjust the toppings according to my calorie and sodium goals that day. Today it was a little butter, a packet of true lime, and hot sauce.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Check out popped sorghum - it's like super tiny popcorn, LOL. Seriously tastes about the same, but smaller and cuter, you can purchase whole grain sorghum online and you just pop it like popcorn. Different nutrients in it.