Intermittent Fasting Question

Can anybody suggest or advise if doing intermittent fasting is good and why? If not why not? I really want to loose more pounds at the end of the year and I've seen this come up a lot from all sorts of workout programs and nutritionist. I am considering doing this but I am scare I'll loose the momentum I've picked from my routinely workouts and healthy eating habits. Any input might help.
Thank you all

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    If you already have healthy eating habits, my opinion would be to stick to them. Have you been losing weight? If so, I would just continue in your healthy routine. If you're just starting, I would consider just cutting your portions rather than disrupting your schedule. Just my two cents :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I havent been lately iv been overly hungry but i find i like to eat late at night, And once i start to eat i am hungrier. So i live off coffee and lots of water for as long as possible mornings. Doesnt work so well with my job sadly right now i loved it. For a few months i literally wouldnt eat until 3-5 pm then id feast happily until bed was wonderful lol. I slept alot beter then with a nice full tummy
  • Fit_FrankM
    Fit_FrankM Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. I will definitely going to give a try and see how it affects my body and weight loss.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Fit_FrankM wrote: »
    Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. I will definitely going to give a try and see how it affects my body and weight loss.

Its honestly only worth doing if you find it semi effortless. If you prefer eating at a certain time of day, Do it. Or eating all day. Do it. Its seriously not magical, Just works for some people. Alot like me simply prefer night eating and am not hungry mornings so theres no need to force feed self, Just as theres no reason to starve if it doesnt work for you.
  • Fit_FrankM
    Fit_FrankM Posts: 4 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Fit_FrankM wrote: »

Its honestly only worth doing if you find it semi effortless. If you prefer eating at a certain time of day, Do it. Or eating all day. Do it. Its seriously not magical, Just works for some people. Alot like me simply prefer night eating and am not hungry mornings so theres no need to force feed self, Just as theres no reason to starve if it doesnt work for you.

You’re definitely right @JaydedMiss I will just give whirl and see how it works out if I don’t like it I’ll go back to my regular routine.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    honie99 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat. If you succeed doing it, then it's good.

That's only partly correct. There does seem to be a fair bit of science that suggests the IF regime increases metabolism, lowers insulin levels, increases HGH and so on - all of which can assist in weight loss. If you're interested, there is plenty of reputable studies into this type of activity - when compared to some of the 'fad' type diets that have sprouted over the years.

If you’re going to provide the information, it’s courtesy to link to the studies as well. But IME, I lost exactly the same doing IF than not.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Like another poster, I was also doing IF before I knew it was a thing. i just did the "gremlin diet" which was no eating after dark as I only tended to eat junky stuff then. I've changed it to a 6-2 window during the day but not much else has changed. As many point out, it will help you develop will power and understand your cravings. For it to be "effortless" you just need to figure out your natural eating times and see if you can develop a window around it.

I would have still lost the weight otherwise as when I started this, I also started exercising and eating healthy. I tracked my calories for the last few months but at this point, I know what I can eat and how much to maintain weight.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    honie99 wrote: »
    It's just a tool to help you create a calorie deficit by limiting the amount of time you eat. If you succeed doing it, then it's good.

That's only partly correct. There does seem to be a fair bit of science that suggests the IF regime increases metabolism, lowers insulin levels, increases HGH and so on - all of which can assist in weight loss. If you're interested, there is plenty of reputable studies into this type of activity - when compared to some of the 'fad' type diets that have sprouted over the years.

If you’re going to provide the information, it’s courtesy to link to the studies as well. But IME, I lost exactly the same doing IF than not.

The poster may have other studies in mind but I recently came across this one:
    http://m.pnas.org/content/111/47/16647.abstract

The PDF of the full details can be accessed from that page.
  • sarcasticarse
    sarcasticarse Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Fit_FrankM , We have an active group if you have some more group specific questions:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Come join :)
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    I did it for the last two months and lost 12 pounds which is more than I lost the last few times I just counted calories. There is some evidence that giving yourself a longer period of time without any calories, encourages your body to go to fat stores for energy. My plan is the 6/18 thing. I stop eating at 6 every evening and don't eat again until noon the next day. Just water and black coffee.

Where this has really helped me is actually the mental rest. I know that after dinner the agonizing over food choices is done and although I'm slightly hungry in the evening it isn't anything too distracting. I just tell myself "The kitchen is closed."

Note: People on certain medications can't follow this plan at all and others get headaches. Only experimentation will tell.

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member

Note: People on certain medications can't follow this plan at all and others get headaches. Only experimentation will tell.

Medications aside - I just wanted to say to anyone experiencing headaches or dizziness or whatever to give yourself a little time before deciding it won't work. I had pretty severe hypoglycemia before starting : headaches , severe irritation, black outs, light headedness, shakiness etc. I had to do the fasting for a number of weeks before these symptoms stopped. Now I don't get them at all (some studies have evidence to show that IF regulates hormones including insulin , which would contribute to that). I can't say it will work for everyone, but it does also take some time to adjust to this new pattern.
  • gita9999
    gita9999 Posts: 8 Member
    I prefer to stick to meals without snacks in between. That way I can lower circulating insulin between meals. Skipping a meal just makes me hangry
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @gita9999 - what is wrong with hangry? LOL!

Everyone is different. This whole topic is just another perfect example of that concept. There are few 'hard and fast rules' here. One of them is Caloric Input excees Caloric Output and you gain weight (and vice versa).

What I find interesting is the mindset of people. It seems to me - and this is my experience - that most people want "just tell me what to do".....I am a huge concept person so feed me the concepts and let me play with them, as I deem appropriate, to see what works for me.

Maybe I am just being a grumpy old man today, but people need to understand that everyone is different and that what works for me may or may not work for you (and, @gita9999 - not directed at you specifically). I think that critical thinking is somehow dormant......

Anyway, I would encourage everyone to play with nutrition....whatever that all might mean.....and find out what works for you. Not for me....not for him....not for her.....but for you. I have been doing this the last three months and I would LOVE to share with everyone that it was a ton of fun. I mean, one week I played with eating 4000 calories a day (a little bit plus, a little bit minus). That was a glorious week!

I am doing IF and enjoy this. 30 years ago I just simply could not eat after 6PM. That was just how I was. Pretty sure that 30 years ago the concept of Intermittent Fasting was not a concept yet. Anyway, it seems to work well for me.

I am also confused (and pretty much likely due to my ignorance) but I did not know that Intermittent Fasting was a way to loose weight by skipping a meal. @malibu927 - am I reading something into your post? And, not being creepy with this - if you do live in Malibu, is Gladstones for Fish (the restaurant) still around? I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE that place. The 'doggie bags' were totally awesome. The things that you can do with aluminium foil....
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    It works for me because I don't get terribly hungry in the morning and I prefer having a large, filling dinner. So I save most of my calories for the evening.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @Jigglypuff9363 - you do nerdfitness, too? Great web site. Great book. If your post was directed at me, Thank you. I think that I have a pretty good understanding of what IF is and why it works and how it works....but, I can never be 100% about anything.

I am confused in that I see a lot of people suggesting that IF works because "they skip a meal". To me, it has NOTHING to do with skipping meals.....it has EVERYTHING to do with the period of time in which you do eat. And, more to the point, in which you do NOT eat. Maybe I am missing the point, but that has nothing to do with skipping meals, per se. But I have been eating four - six smaller meals for the last 12 months of so....and do not eat "breakfast", "lunch" or "dinner", per se.

Anyway, I will look more into this. I will get some other links and post them. Not to prove "who is right and who is wrong" but more to add clarity (for my sake!) to this topic. You know how you get something stuck in your head sometimes and - for you - that is just how it is! I am a big concept person....want to make sure that the concept is clear. More to follow! :blush: