Looking for Other Sugar, Flour and Wheat Abstinent friends

Options
Just wanted to shout out and find Sugar, Flour and Wheat Abstinent friends that could be my healthy weight loss buddy. Thanks

Replies

• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Is this a Celiac thing or a diet? I'm just curious. I love me some flour/wheat on occasion. ;)
  • Skyler_mama
    Skyler_mama Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is not a diet but a life time change, I am 36 days sugar, flour and wheat free. I abstain from all of it. I wish there was a plan to follow but I went cold turkey and feel good about myself. Check out Food Addicts anonymous or Food Addicts in Recovery, that is practically their plan. Thanks
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Until you can't anymore, and EAT ALL THE FOODS! Good luck.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    So what's left to eat?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    So what's left to eat?

meat, veg, peanut butter...
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Unless you are allergic to those things, seems very restrictive. Vegetables contain sugar too, do they not?
  • Skyler_mama
    Options
    There is a lot. Meat (all meat), unprocessed grains (brown rice), oatmeal. All Fruits (natural source of sugar). I am not legalistic as long as do not put artificial sweeteners or sugar in my mouth I am fine.
  • Skyler_mama
    Options
    Until you can't anymore, and EAT ALL THE FOODS! Good luck.

There is a lot. Meat (all meat), unprocessed grains (brown rice), oatmeal. All Fruits (natural source of sugar). I am not legalistic as long as do not put artificial sweeteners or sugar in my mouth I am fine.
  • Skyler_mama
    Options
    Unless you are allergic to those things, seems very restrictive. Vegetables contain sugar too, do they not?

There is a lot of healthy food. Meat (all meat), unprocessed grains (brown rice), oatmeal. All Fruits and vegetables (natural source of sugar). I am not legalistic as long as do not put artificial sweeteners or sugar in my mouth I am fine. All natural and unprocessed food.
  • Skyler_mama
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    So what's left to eat?

There is a lot of healthy food. Meat (all meat), unprocessed grains (brown rice), oatmeal. All Fruits and vegetables (natural source of sugar). I am not legalistic as long as do not put artificial sweeteners or sugar in my mouth I am fine. All natural and unprocessed food.
  • Skyler_mama
    Options
    The food plan is a way of eating that is free from eating sugar, flour and wheat. The food plan eliminates the basic components of our binge foods: sugar, flour, wheat and inordinate amounts of fat (sticky, greasy, pasty foods). This is not a reducing diet because it is not severely restricted in terms of basic food groups. However, it does reduce fat intake to an appropriate level.
  • Skyler_mama
    Options
    Grains
    amaranth grits
    barley millet
    brown rice oat bran*
    buckwheat oatmeal +
    Cereals: quinoa
    puffed brown rice 3 rice cakes
    =1 serving
    puffed corn cream of rye
    puffed millet rye
    *(½ cup raw = 1 cup cooked)
    +Non-wheat sugar-free, dry cereal
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you've been reading too many "Sugar/Wheat is evil" articles. But you can eat those things and still lose weight. All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. If you want to limit yourself this much to get there, that is up to you. Good luck!
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac and am 100% gluten free :) so no wheat rye or Barley. also in the last year I have started living the Keto life (part of that is no sugar) and it has made an amazing difference in how I feel day to day! no more cravings or snacking!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You may have some luck finding other users with similar eating styles in the following groups. Not an exact match, but there is some overlap on diet components.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group
  • Skyler_mama
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you've been reading too many "Sugar/Wheat is evil" articles. But you can eat those things and still lose weight. All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. If you want to limit yourself this much to get there, that is up to you. Good luck!

I have tried that for several years and here I am still the same. I am not obese either, I am overweight. I found my trigger foods. I am happy about what I am doing. Good luck to you as well!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think I see what you are trying to do, and you're almost there. Balancing your food intake, not eating too much overall, getting in more nutrient dense foods, more variety, reducing the amounts of junk food, all these things are good, smart, healthy, sustainable.

But the method you are using, is questionable. You are demonizing nutrients, nutrients that really aren't dangerous, but can be eaten in moderate amounts. There is sugar in fruit, you already know that. Adding sugar to certain foods is the only way to make it edible (have you tried to eat rhubarb on its own?). You can make bread and pasta with whole grain wheat flour. You can make flour from other grains than wheat. No matter how disgusting you try to make your favorite foods in your head, they will still be your favorite foods, in fact, you will crave them intensely when you deem them off limit, and you will overeat when you can't take it anymore. How I know this? This is what I did, this is what everybody did.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is the exact same as cane sugar. The only difference is your fruit has fiber to help process it in your body without having the same sugar spike.
  • ukrob76
    ukrob76 Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am four days into a primal diet. All going well, but effectively dropped bread, pasta, rice and most packaged foods. Never eaten so much veg. Motivations - I eat way too much rubbish and wish to move away from this and as a blood cancer survivor I want to give myself every chance not to have a relapse.
  • SoFloGuy78
    SoFloGuy78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    are you looking to do a Ketogenic Diet? if you cutting out sugar that is what most people do for that. there is a lot of good resources online about doing it, but the break down of what you want when cutting out sugar, is eating protein, good fats, and leafy green veggies. Your daily macro should be around (60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs). it is all about balancing your blood sugar. good fat will not spike your Blood sugar, too much protein will, and the veggie help regulate your blood sugar, and the fiber will slow the absorption of sugars with in veggies. if you going pure keto no or very little fruits, if you just trying not to gain weight, then fruits with meals are ok. One benefit of a Ketogenic Diet is once you been doing it for a week or so, it gets easy, and you loss the urge to snack.
    (each person is not the same that this is a very basic idea of how a Ketogenic diet works, if you are looking to do a keto diet I would read up and research a plan that works for you)