Keto food ideas?

Options
Hey everyone! Im just starting out keto and trying to stay under 25 net carbs a day. I’m eating eggs, chicken, cheese, green veg, chia seeds, flaxseeds, and walnuts. Do you suggest adding or taking out anything to the list? I would love some new ideas to mix it up as well. Also, if anyone else is doing keto please feel free to add me!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Salmon, other seafood, other meats, avo, a mixture of nuts, olive/plant based oil
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Just starting?
    Powerade Zero to avoid keto flu - one a day for the first week, can't recommend it enough.
    Pepperoni for snacks.
    Avocado/guacamole.
    All the spices.
    Butter.
    Good luck!
  • crackillsketo
    crackillsketo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I see a glaring omission of red meat so I'll assume thats by choice. Pork? I love spinach/cheese stuffed pork loin.

Mixed grean salads with high fat dressing.

Chicken/tuna/egg salad

Unwhitches (use romaine leafs to make deli meat sandwiches)

Chicken cutlets baked with tomato sause and mozzarella cheese. To expand on this, and hear me out, a mixture of crushed pork rinds and parm cheese (60/40) makes a perfect bread crum sub... perfect. People cannot tell the difference. The sauce should be no sugar added, Ive found expensive stuff and cheap stuff both around 4net per 1/2c (pizza sause servings are 1/4c). I make my meatballs and meatloaf with the same substitutes.

Deli sliced pepperoini in muffin pan, with mozzarella cheese, topped with another pepperoni slice. Add italin seasoning and bake till melted, dip in the no sugar added sauce. Pizza craving killer right here.

There's probably a million cheese sauses or gravies you coukd make keto and use to spice up meals. I sometimes roast bonless chicken thighs then make a chicken gravy with the dripping+bullion. The gravy is good on everything (big hit at bbqs) and after the first meal Ill usually dice up the thighs add them to the gravy and the next day Ill eat that over riced cauliflower or broccoli.

I make a keto sausage stuffing thats pretty good. I use ground sage sausage, spinach and riced cauliflower (bacon too if I have it) seasoned with garlic/salt/pepper. Its good to stuff a chicken or just eat as a side. I stuff my pork loins with it too.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for more ideas. There is usually at least one food or recipe thread going at any given time.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Look up headbangers kitchen on YouTube! He's given me so many ideas and quick recipes, it's saved my life :)
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Try ruled.me or tastaholics. Tons of recipes on both.
    Look up headbangers kitchen on YouTube! He's given me so many ideas and quick recipes, it's saved my life :)

That guy is awesome. Horns up!
  • g_poleman
    g_poleman Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Chili dog casserole!!
  • healthycanadian95
    healthycanadian95 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I’ll try out all your suggestions ❤️❤️
  • SoFloGuy78
    SoFloGuy78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you're eating nuts, try to stay away from Cashews, and peanuts. In keto watching net carbs are good but don't forget the sugars. Cashews have a high sugar count. Sugars will cause you to make more Insulin and kick you out of keto faster then carbs. Make sure you fat % is higher then your protein. If you have too much protein in your body you will start making more Insulin then needed causing your blood sugar to rise (kicking you out of Keto). 4-6oz of protein with your meal is what you should hit for, Unless you are working out more. But 4-6oz is a good rule of thumb to start with.

Drink water with a lemon slice in it, to keep your electrolytes balance.
    if you feel the "keto Flu" coming on, this is mostly caused by a lack of potassium in the body. Drinking water with some ACV and Himalayan Pink Salt, in the morning and/or at night, it helps keep your Potassium up, and help you gut bacteria. (veggies give you potassium so if you not eating enough of them your potassium drops and you feel sluggish). bananas are good in potassium but high in sugar, it might kick you out of keto. If you do feel the keto Flu coming on, drink 8oz of water with a "dash" of cream of tarter, ( Himalayan Pink Salt can be added but not needed) this will give you a boot of potassium killing the flu and giving you back energy with in 15 minutes.

Just remember keto is not just about eating no / less carbs. it is about keeping your Insulin levels from spiking causing your blood sugar to rise. low insulin levels will cause your liver to make ketone bodies for your primary fuel source and only use glucose if available but not require it.

(watch out for artificial sweeteners, in some cases it can trick the body in thinking you eaten sugar and can cause your body to start making more Insulin and will kick you out of keto. Personally I use Stevia and have no issues, some people used splenda and stay in keto. just keep that in mind, and keep the artificial sweeteners to a minim.

Good luck,
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you're eating nuts, try to stay away from Cashews, and peanuts. In keto watching net carbs are good but don't forget the sugars. Cashews have a high sugar count. Sugars will cause you to make more Insulin and kick you out of keto faster then carbs. Make sure you fat % is higher then your protein. If you have too much protein in your body you will start making more Insulin then needed causing your blood sugar to rise (kicking you out of Keto). 4-6oz of protein with your meal is what you should hit for, Unless you are working out more. But 4-6oz is a good rule of thumb to start with.

Drink water with a lemon slice in it, to keep your electrolytes balance.
    if you feel the "keto Flu" coming on, this is mostly caused by a lack of potassium in the body. Drinking water with some ACV and Himalayan Pink Salt, in the morning and/or at night, it helps keep your Potassium up, and help you gut bacteria. (veggies give you potassium so if you not eating enough of them your potassium drops and you feel sluggish). bananas are good in potassium but high in sugar, it might kick you out of keto. If you do feel the keto Flu coming on, drink 8oz of water with a "dash" of cream of tarter, ( Himalayan Pink Salt can be added but not needed) this will give you a boot of potassium killing the flu and giving you back energy with in 15 minutes.

Just remember keto is not just about eating no / less carbs. it is about keeping your Insulin levels from spiking causing your blood sugar to rise. low insulin levels will cause your liver to make ketone bodies for your primary fuel source and only use glucose if available but not require it.

(watch out for artificial sweeteners, in some cases it can trick the body in thinking you eaten sugar and can cause your body to start making more Insulin and will kick you out of keto. Personally I use Stevia and have no issues, some people used splenda and stay in keto. just keep that in mind, and keep the artificial sweeteners to a minim.

Good luck,

@jcwilson4th78
    Keto flu is usually from a lack of sodium replacement after losing water and electrolytes in the early days of the diet. If sodium is not supplemented, then potassium and magnesium, and possibly calcium, can start to get low because it is used in an effort to replace lost electrolytes.

You seem to have insulin's role in the body mixed up a bit. Insulin lowers blood glucose by removing it from the blood stream. If insulin rises or spikes, blood glucose will fall.

Protein will indeed raise insulin, about half as much as carbs, but it does not turn protein into lots of sugar/glucose - just what is needed Unless one is following a traditional/medically prescribed ketogenic diet, high protein is generally not a problem. Once you get well over 200g of protein, it may lower your ketone levels, but unless you want ketones for a medical reason, it is not an issue.