CrossFit or MMA

Options
CrossFit or MMA, what’s your take on one or the other or both!

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Judging by the performance Colin McGreggor put on against Mayweather, I’d say that MMA fighters could probably stand to do some more Crossfit style conditioning
  • g_poleman
    g_poleman Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MMA - I do that. Not actual fighting but I workout with trainer who does. We do a lot of hitting and kicking into bags. Best workouts ever.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Judging by the performance Colin McGreggor put on against Mayweather, I’d say that MMA fighters could probably stand to do some more Crossfit style conditioning

Oh my gosh I'm so offended on behalf of Conor McGregor

somebody forgot to tell the poor kid that real boxing matches last longer than 3 rounds.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    That's a weird question. Those are completely different things. Might as well have asked "cycling or bungee Jumping?"

Do which you enjoy more.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    CrossFit wins out on almost everything almost every time for me. I love the mix of weights, cardio, gymnastics.
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you like hitting things, MMA will be a much more fun workout.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

So you're saying that Crossfit would have made Conor more competitive in the fight against Mayweather, do I have that right?

And side note, how drunk were you when you made this post?

It was just a stupid joke about Conor looking like he’d just run a marathon 3 rounds into the fight.

The only thing that could have actually helped him would have been 5 or 10 years as a professional boxer before stepping in the ring. Amateurs rarely fair well against professionals, he put up a respectable fight all things considered.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

So you're saying that Crossfit would have made Conor more competitive in the fight against Mayweather, do I have that right?

And side note, how drunk were you when you made this post?

It was just a stupid joke about Conor looking like he’d just run a marathon 3 rounds into the fight.

The only thing that could have actually helped him would have been 5 or 10 years as a professional boxer before stepping in the ring. Amateurs rarely fair well against professionals, he put up a respectable fight all things considered.

Ok ok that is totally fair

He certainly has that dip in fights. He will figure it out.

I hope he continues professional boxing. He has more talent than he knows what to do with, and he could be really great one day. I'd definitely be interested in seeing him in future fights.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I hope he sticks to MMA I’m a huge fan of the sport and in my opinion boxing is less entertaining and less exciting. I’m sure I’ll be persecuted for that opinion but I’ll stick by it. Just feels like more talent is involved in the sport itself.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Do the workouts have to be mutually exclusive? Do some of each if you enjoy both.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    MMA-is a combat sport
    Crossfit-is a religious cult

Since I'm never going to get in a ring, and I already go to church, I do other things, AMOK combatives and Kettlebell/bodyweight training.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Both are diverse enough that you'd get a great workout combining the two.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    OP: if you live in an area that features ClassPass, I would suggest checking that out.

ClassPass lets you buy classes at boutique fitness clubs - Barre, yoga, Crossfit, MMA studios, boxing, Spin studios, etc., without having to pay for expensive membership fees to belong to any specific one.

A quick search in my Boston neighborhood of Southie showed:
    - Boxing Gym
    - MMA Studio
    - 2 Yoga Studios
    - 2 Barre Studios
    - 1 Spin Studio
    - My CrossFit Box (Bootcamp only)
    - 2 Misc Fitness (BodyPump, etc)
    - 1 Karate Dojo
    - 1 Rock Climbing Gym

You pay by the class, so you could buy a pack of classes, check out a bunch of places, and see what you loved!
  • jdlobb
    Options
    MilesAddie wrote: »
    OP: if you live in an area that features ClassPass, I would suggest checking that out.

ClassPass lets you buy classes at boutique fitness clubs - Barre, yoga, Crossfit, MMA studios, boxing, Spin studios, etc., without having to pay for expensive membership fees to belong to any specific one.

A quick search in my Boston neighborhood of Southie showed:
    - Boxing Gym
    - MMA Studio
    - 2 Yoga Studios
    - 2 Barre Studios
    - 1 Spin Studio
    - My CrossFit Box (Bootcamp only)
    - 2 Misc Fitness (BodyPump, etc)
    - 1 Karate Dojo
    - 1 Rock Climbing Gym

You pay by the class, so you could buy a pack of classes, check out a bunch of places, and see what you loved!

second recommendation for ClassPass. I use it when I travel for work.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    MMA is more useful in life.