High calorie target - will I lose weight?

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When you have a lot to lose, you need more calories than a person of a normal weight. When you’re more active, you need more calories. 1920 is very reasonable...I think when I started here about four years ago it gave me 2100 for a pound a week, and I was on lightly active and 13 pounds heavier.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    Keep in mind that there are 2 ways to use MFP.

1. Set your activity level to Sedentary and manually log exercise calories
    2. Set your activity level to your actual activity level (Lightly Active, Active, etc) and NOT log exercise calories

@toxikon

No that's completely wrong I'm afraid and not the way this tool works.
    Activity setting and exercise are completely separate.

Whatever is your true activity setting is that's what you set to account for your daily routine.
    My son is a builder so has an active setting to account for his job - when he exercises he needs more.

For me for example I recently retired from a sedentary job but with a very large exercise routine.
    Now I'm retired my activity setting would be lightly active as I'm moving much more during the day - but I still have the same large exercise routine.

You might notice above that @janejellyroll pointed out that some people who lead naturally active lives (like working on their feet all day) would want to input a higher activity level than Sedentary - which I agree with. I'm a Sedentary person so I forgot about that point - but it would still fall under "option 1" - just sub out Sedentary with whatever your non-exercise-routine activity level would be.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I have tried and failed MFP many times, and it has all been down to me trying to beat the system... under eating, over exercising and generally just hating it.

So, this time in an effort to actually make it work I have set my goal to losing 1lb per week and I have set myself a gym routine to ensure that I am working sensibly in the gym.

However, my calorie goal has come up at 1920 calories, and this seems like quite a lot to me when losing weight. However, I am determined to do this properly, so am trying to eat around that, and exercise on top.

I exercise 4/5 times a week. 2 weight sessions and 2/3 cardio depending on how I feel. I am normally pretty active day to day as well.

I don't think I will be eating back my exercise calories though , as I am going from about 1300 to 1900.

Could someone please reassure me that I will actually lose weight this way???? Obviously, I wouldn't be sad losing more than 1lb per week... but I need to start doing something that will work so if slow and steady is the key, than that is what I will try!

Can you not see that the two bold segments are in conflict?
    The tool works if done properly.

If you think "slow & steady" is the key to being successful this time then why are you trying to speed it up?

I think OP just means that when she did MFP before she tried to game the system in her favor instead of following what it told her. I can admit to doing that when I first started before getting serious but she can chime in and tell me if I'm wrong with my guess.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you don't like MFP and worrying about exercise calories, figure out your TDEE from http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ (I'd use lightly active for you) and just eat that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    However, my calorie goal has come up at 1920 calories, and this seems like quite a lot to me when losing weight. However, I am determined to do this properly, so am trying to eat around that, and exercise on top.

I'm maintaining my weight eating ~3,500 calories per day. 1,920 could be a lot or a little; it's not about the number it's about the person.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why do you think you don't need to eat back some of your exercise cals?? I suggest you try following the MFP system **as laid out ** for 2 months and see how it works. It seems that inventing your own variations has not worked well in the past.

It isn’t that I don’t think I should, it is that I do t think I can. I struggle to eat enough healthy food, most of my calories come from junk and booze. It is just too much.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you don't need to eat back some of your exercise cals?? I suggest you try following the MFP system **as laid out ** for 2 months and see how it works. It seems that inventing your own variations has not worked well in the past.

It isn’t that I don’t think I should, it is that I do t think I can. I struggle to eat enough healthy food, most of my calories come from junk and booze. It is just too much.

If you're struggling to eat enough "healthy food," it could be that you're trying to restrict too much from your diet.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Tacos are 1,700 to 2,000 calories of protein rich deliciousness. At least the way I make them.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Tacos are 1,700 to 2,000 calories of protein rich deliciousness. At least the way I make them.

Jesus H. Christ! What are you putting in these tacos?! Lol
  • rachaelgifford
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    Hi there!

I have tried and failed MFP many times, and it has all been down to me trying to beat the system... under eating, over exercising and generally just hating it.

So, this time in an effort to actually make it work I have set my goal to losing 1lb per week and I have set myself a gym routine to ensure that I am working sensibly in the gym.

I exercise 4/5 times a week. 2 weight sessions and 2/3 cardio depending on how I feel. I am normally pretty active day to day as well.

I don't think I will be eating back my exercise calories though , as I am going from about 1300 to 1900.

Could someone please reassure me that I will actually lose weight this way???? Obviously, I wouldn't be sad losing more than 1lb per week... but I need to start doing something that will work so if slow and steady is the key, than that is what I will try!

Can you not see that the two bold segments are in conflict?
    The tool works if done properly.

If you think "slow & steady" is the key to being successful this time then why are you trying to speed it up?

I think OP just means that when she did MFP before she tried to game the system in her favor instead of following what it told her. I can admit to doing that when I first started before getting serious but she can chime in and tell me if I'm wrong with my guess.

Exactly this. I just don’t have a huge appetite either, I just drink too much and eat fried food, crisps and chocolate!

I guess I just have to learn to eat more. Lol.
  • rachaelgifford
    Options

If you're struggling to eat enough "healthy food," it could be that you're trying to restrict too much from your diet.

I can see what you are saying, I eat most things, except my danger foods (pizza, chips, crisps, chocolate).

I guess eating more non calorie high food is just something I have to adapt to.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I can see what you are saying, I eat most things, except my danger foods (pizza, chips, crisps, chocolate).

I guess eating more non calorie high food is just something I have to adapt to.

If it's too difficult to eat more low calorie food, you can always try eating more calorie-dense foods that aren't hard for you to moderate.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »

Jesus H. Christ! What are you putting in these tacos?! Lol

Well that's for the whole meal, not per taco. :wink:
  • rachaelgifford
    Options

That’s probably my kind of taco
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What do you consider "junk" and what do you consider "healthy" food? Some people would say nonfat yogurt is healthy. I say it tastes gross with an awful mouth feel, and full fat yogurt keeps me full longer, so for me, full fat is a better option. Are you cutting out alcohol completely? Why? Unless you have a drinking problem there's no reason to do that. Think about adding nuts, seeds, full fat dairy, and an occasional pint to your diet, meet your calorie goals as outlined by MFP. If, after a month or 2, you aren't losing the lb a week you've set as your goal, look at your logs to see where your problem is. I think the error most of us make (over and over for some of us) is we see a diet as this restrictive thing to lose weight, rather than the food we eat every day for the rest of our lives.