Sugar addiction!!!

Options
It's quite well known that sugar is addictive. Does anyone have any experience with overcoming it?

We got some halloween sweets in for the trick-or-treaters and my housemates have had like a chocolate bar and a bag of haribos each and I'm eating 20 bags of sweets because once I start I just can't stop. It tastes so good and I just think 'oh what the hell why hold back on enjoyment?' and then I eat so much I lose count and regret it. But do the same the next day. This ALWAYS happens around sweet things and with Christmas coming up I don't know what to do. I gained 8 lbs last Christmas. I don't want it to be a repeat!

How in the hell do you keep your inner sugar monster in check?!

Replies

• Jessicabm
    Jessicabm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to stay away from sugar this time a year. Especially with leftover Halloween candy. I think just knowing other people are also struggling helps. This time of year i start to lose my motivation, but with gaining weight recently, I don’t want to see the scale keep moving up! Hopefully reading these comments from you all more often will help.
  • hqy2010
    hqy2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m with you! I find it harder to stop than not to start eating the candies at all. So I saved up one piece on the kitchen counter and tossed the rest of my Halloween candies. And I challenge myself not to eat it - looks like a win at least for today!
  • Jessicabm
    Jessicabm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I didn’t do so well tonight. The candy won, but tomorrow is another day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't start, that's my only advice. You deny yourself the enjoyment of sugar so you can experience the enjoyment of a healthy happy weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    It's like alcoholic, just stay away from it don't even start
    Sugar is in vegetables and fruits. As well as carbs breaking down to simple sugar in your system. You CAN'T avoid sugar because lots of GOOD food get broken down into simple sugars in the digestion process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Here's a really good test to see if you're truly addicted to sugar:
    http://physiqonomics.com/sugar-addiction-test/

TL;DL - most people say "sugar" when they actually mean "chemically enhanced carbs+fat+salt"

So you if you can quite cheerfully eat several spoonfuls of the stuff, and used to get in trouble as a kid constantly for sneaking into the sugar box and downing large amounts of it, to the point of being often grounded, and failing school projects because you literally ate the glue coated sugarcubes that makeup your Mission walls, after spending hours building it?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    NadNight wrote: »
    It's quite well known that sugar is addictive. Does anyone have any experience with overcoming it?
    According to what source? If it's addictive, then why isn't it treated at addiction clinics and what would be the actual protocol since sugar is in foods like fruits and vegetables?
    We got some halloween sweets in for the trick-or-treaters and my housemates have had like a chocolate bar and a bag of haribos each and I'm eating 20 bags of sweets because once I start I just can't stop. It tastes so good and I just think 'oh what the hell why hold back on enjoyment?' and then I eat so much I lose count and regret it. But do the same the next day. This ALWAYS happens around sweet things and with Christmas coming up I don't know what to do. I gained 8 lbs last Christmas. I don't want it to be a repeat!

Sugar tastes good which is why just about everyone will eat it. Even animals around the world will indulge in it.
    Control is yours. There is no such thing as CAN'T stop, there is WILL NOT or REFUSE. So you just have to prioritize what's more important to you. Slamming down a bag of sweets or making sure you're not exceeding your calorie limit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

What exactly is your definition of addiction? I promise I'm not being snarky, seriously. I'm honestly curious what you consider to be an actual addiction, and if and why you might consider alchohol, heroin, cigarettes or video games to be "true" addictions vs sugar.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    fiona4879 wrote: »
    Kicking sugar is so worth it. The only way to reduce sugar cravings is to not eat it. It’s that simple.

I did this and it worked.
    Remove the temptations from the house.
    Don’t buy the sweets in the first place.
    Gradually replace processed sugars with fruit and all Whole Foods. It’s all sugar in the end, but fruit contains water and fiber, which will help you feel full. Then gradually reduce the amount of fruit per day.

I am constantly amazed at the obsession with making everything taste sweet. Cut out the artificial stuff and the processed stuff.
    I eat cake on special occasions. It looks so tempting but it now tastes sickly and I don’t enjoy it. Victory!

Why would you reduce fruit?
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »

If you find the cure, please let me know. I have even gone as far as to checking into hypnosis. The sugar crave is STRONG.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Have you tried portioning out your sweets? If I buy a chocolate bar I usually break it up into individual servings and put them in little baggies so I don't over indulge. Might help.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Here's a really good test to see if you're truly addicted to sugar:
    http://physiqonomics.com/sugar-addiction-test/

TL;DL - most people say "sugar" when they actually mean "chemically enhanced carbs+fat+salt"

So you if you can quite cheerfully eat several spoonfuls of the stuff, and used to get in trouble as a kid constantly for sneaking into the sugar box and downing large amounts of it, to the point of being often grounded, and failing school projects because you literally ate the glue coated sugarcubes that makeup your Mission walls, after spending hours building it?

If you legitimately were/are able to consume bowls full of pure sugar (passing over donuts/cookies/cake/ice cream/meat/eggs/fruit/vegetables/etc EXCLUSIVELY for sugar every time), have developed an unhealthy relationship with it to the point of detriment regardless of consequence, then you may be one of the rare people that are truly addicted to sugar.

People might develop a psychological addiction to it since there's no chemical reason why it should illicit a physiological addiction, but the reward center might be hypersensitive to stimulation. In any event, that is more of an 'eating' addiction instead of a pure sugar addiction, which might be possible, but not as common as people think.