How do you Runners do it?

Options
Hello Everyone,

I had a question for the daily runners, the hardcore 5k, etc Runners.......

I love running, especially in the summer my choice would be taking a jog at the park, and just being free, staying in the Zone and have no thoughts or worries, BUT!, every summer I start suffering from Shin Splints :frown: so I'll have to switch up and do Yoga at home, because my legs hurt too much to jog....I hate working out at home or working out at the gym, especially on beautiful hot summer days. I always say I'll just go to the park and walk since my legs hurt, but somehow I always start jogging and say Ehhh I can get past this pain, and there I am free again!:bigsmile: then the next day I'm hurting! Ouch! So how do you runners do it?! I've bought running shoes from Nike, and they are awesome, but I still get the pains after running for a week straight....Should I just keep switching it up and finding other activities to do while I heal from this? Thanks a bunches!

-Jess

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Better shoes might help, insoles maybe. Make sure you are hydrating and that you aren't pushing yourself too hard too fast. :flowerforyou:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    "People with flat feet are especially prone to shin splints. Bio-mechanically, over-pronation is the common cause for medial tibial stress syndrome. It involves excessive inward rolling that causes tibial twisting and overstretching of the lower extremity muscles. Having poor form, such as leaning forward or backward too much, as well as landing on the balls of your feet and running with toes pointing outwards all contribute to the causation of shin splints."

Did you go to a running store and get "fitted" for those Nikes? It's very possible that the wrong shoes are causing those shin splints. If you have any of the above problems, the right shoes should help to correct them.

I have flat feet and had shin splints constantly when I did gymnastics years ago. Running with the right shoes I don't have problems with them at all.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    #1 is stretching. I do it before every workout. I have trouble with my right calf, but an exercise that works for that and shin splints is to stand on a step with the balls of your feet and drop your heels. Lifing up to tiptoes after will strengthen the muscles and tendons that contribute to shin splints.

I also try not to run on consecutive days, though I do it a lot more lately, and I mix up my workouts. Long, slow runs, short fast ones. (long being 6-8 miles @ a 10 minute pace and short being 5k@ a 7-8 min pace). If you stick with it, the problem will cure itself in most cases.
  • Brandi424
    Brandi424 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should be running every other day instead of every day and you should take your shoes to a running store and make sure that they are the right shoes for you running style.
  • sociable15
    Options
    Shin splints are usually caused by upping the training too much too quickly and running in bad shoes. Not even old shoes, but shoes not working with your gait and pronation. Go to a running specialty store and have them study your gait. If you increase your mileage or speed too much too fast, or increase both at the same time, you'll get shin splints as well.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    In addition to having your shoes and form checked, on rare occasion, you can get shin splints from tying your laces too tight.

Strange but true.....
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I had horrible shin splints all my life... until I started running, go figure! I credit this to several things. 1. Good shoes, I went to a running store, had a gait evaluation and bought $90 shoes 2. Working on calf and shin muscle strength. I put a stability ball against the wall and lay on my back, I do "gas" pedal pushes with my feet against the ball, also walking on my heels and toes a few minutes each day. 3. Stretching after runs and weekly yoga. 4. At the first hint of any pain ICE ICE ICE.

Hope you get some relief!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I run almost everyday... with no shin splints... stretching... good shoes... good insoles... I got "fitted" at a running store for my shoes and insoles, then got some other insoles from my hospital pharmacy... they are Green Super Feet... and they are just as good as the $70 insoles I got from the running store if not better!!!!

Running shouldn't be hurting you!!!!

L
  • ericadesiree
    Options
    dealing with shin splints right now!! i hate them!!! many people have told me to look into new sneakers and to stretch!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing too much too fast! Running is an addictive sport and leaves one wanting more, that is a problem when your body isn't ready for the more! Your muscles and bones need time to heal in between runs, and you should increase your disntance slowly. Running with proper footwear is also VITAL. If you are serious about getting into running I would go to a running store (Like Roadrunner sports) and get fit for a shoe. Try to find one that will put you on the treadmill to look at you run. I just want to put a warning out there to NOT ignore the pain. A little pain can easily turn in to a stress fracture! Good luck!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Running on softer surfaces can help as well.

But shin splints are injuries that should get a little better as you warm up into your run.

I've never personally needed to take off of running to get rid of shin splints. I've just stretched, iced, used compression socks, sometimes changed up my terrain and backed off a little and they've usually gone away.
  • egam
    egam Posts: 127
    Options
    Get your shoes checked out and stretch your calves ALOT, like more than you think is necessary, more than you think is even reasonable.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention whether or not you went to a specialty running store to get fitted for your shoes. I would highly reccomend it. Also, make sure you are hydrating well, not only with water, but with electrolytes, as well. I use NUUN. Research both of these topics. Good luck! :smile:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure to google "run stride video." A lot of shin splints are caused by people "heel striking" instead of landing on the middle of their foot.

Here's one: http://www.damienhowellpt.com/ma_video_analysis.html

Here's a good article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was wearing Nike Vomero 5s, they seemed quite comfortable and cushy but I had shin pain almost constantly especially when I started running outside. Because the tread was wearing off far too quickly I returned them to Nike and went to that sporting goods store ( the one with the same name as the shortened version of the name Richard since MFP thinks it should be censored - REALLY MFP - smarten up) ****s and bought Brooks Ravenna 2s, they were super comfortable and the shin pain was reduced but the left one rubbed the skin off my heel, after trying a few things to fix that problem I ended up taking them back, After my heel healed I went to a running store, he watched me walk and measured my foot, I was wearing a half size bigger than I should have been wearing. He gave me 5 pairs (different brands) to try on and I selected Saucony Ride 4s, They are absolutely fantastic and my shin pain is gone. You may be wearing the wrong shoes. I can't wear my Nike shox for running because they aren't ventilated enough and they also cause shin pain. You can also try compression socks or compression calf sleeves, they helped with the Vomeros to a certain extent but couldn't overcome the fact that I was wearing the wrong size.
    Also, ice your shins after each run.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had horrible shin splints all my life... until I started running, go figure! I credit this to several things. 1. Good shoes, I went to a running store, had a gait evaluation and bought $90 shoes 2. Working on calf and shin muscle strength. I put a stability ball against the wall and lay on my back, I do "gas" pedal pushes with my feet against the ball, also walking on my heels and toes a few minutes each day. 3. Stretching after runs and weekly yoga. 4. At the first hint of any pain ICE ICE ICE.

Hope you get some relief!

GAIT Evaluation?? Whats that? I would definitly do any kind of evaluation as long as they can help me get rid of this pain lol
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I found Asics helped with my feet and shin soreness better than any other shoe as they are designed for running. Also when I get bad shin splints I take several days off to heal and start again. :-)
  • audradanielle
    Options
    Go to a running store to get fitted for shoes!!!!
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough potassium
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints really badly. Things that help...

Good shoes, replaced regularly!!!

Warm up, warm down +Lots of stretching.

You can try "Chi Running" (I read the book, apparently the DVD is better) - I find elements of this excellent in preventing injury. The style of the book annoyed me though - get to the details - I don't need your life story!!!

I'm told that the ice thing + hot baths (obviously sequential, not simultaneous) help, but not tried them myself.