Fruit...yay or nay?

Options
13»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Definitely yay to fruit....... fibre, vitamins & deliciousness...... sugar doesn't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat, eating more calories than you expend does (lust for giggle google the twinkie diet) You may want to reconsider your zero fat yogurt though, it's not uncommon for manufacturers to sneak extra sugar into low / no fat products and you need fat in your diet.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The whole "sugar makes you fat" argument is geared more towards processed sugars since anything using them tends to have a really high sugar content. That half a mango only has 26g sugar (about the same as a small donut).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    The whole "sugar makes you fat" argument is geared more towards processed sugars since anything using them tends to have a really high sugar content. That half a mango only has 26g sugar (about the same as a small donut).

That's not really true.

Some add sugar to oatmeal (I don't but am aware of the custom), and often it's just a tsp -- way less than in a fruit or even the raspberries I might add.

I will add a bit of sugar to a rhubarb or cranberry sauce sometimes (or sugar equivalent, like honey), and it's less than would be in most fruit, even including the natural sugar.

I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe on the site that has about 200 calories per cookie, and 12 g of sugar, I think. That is more calories, but less sugar, than is in an average apple.

I am currently obsessed with this 88% Chocolove chocolate that has 6 g of sugar per serving. A Kind bar or something would also have less than 26 g, significantly so.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's not really true.

Some add sugar to oatmeal (I don't but am aware of the custom), and often it's just a tsp -- way less than in a fruit or even the raspberries I might add.

I will add a bit of sugar to a rhubarb or cranberry sauce sometimes (or sugar equivalent, like honey), and it's less than would be in most fruit, even including the natural sugar.

I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe on the site that has about 200 calories per cookie, and 12 g of sugar, I think. That is more calories, but less sugar, than is in an average apple.

I am currently obsessed with this 88% Chocolove chocolate that has 6 g of sugar per serving. A Kind bar or something would also have less than 26 g, significantly so.

Sorry, meant when it's added to things like pastries, since the OP was about fruit for breakfast. As for that chocolate, maybe I'll try some if I see it. The 90% Ghirardelli dark chocolate is the only one I can really enjoy atm (all the others are way too sweet).
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's not really true.

Chocolove high five! Their salted caramel bar has earned me many an extra hour on the treadmill. 13g sugar per serving, which is about the same as an apple.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Fruit is fine. It depends on your goals and preferences whether you "should" eat it. I don't eat a lot of carbs, and would generally prefer to spend them elsewhere, so I tend to keep the fruit to one serving a day, if that.
  • cheekyfilly
    cheekyfilly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I've taken your advice and opinions on board...not only did the mango and yogurt stay but I also add a banana and a cup of strawberries to it as well. When I started putting everything into MFP I could see just how little fruit (And therefore vitamins) I was getting. I was shocked how just having this for brealfast not only corrected that but as a result I have a lot more energy and my skin looks better too! Happy days!
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and fibre. Eat the fruit.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your daily macros go for it.