Trendweight Creeping Gain

Options
I took a look at my Libra graph and it showed a creeping gain since August of about .25 lba week (excess of 150 calories per day it said). I have my calories set up for .5 loss per week (1320), so clearly something is not working. My average daily intake is 1700 to 1900 calories. I earn about 800 to 1000 a day in exercise so I have been eating some back.

Would the next step be to eat back less exercise calories? I am eating a bit over mainternance when I include so many exercise calories. Maintenance is appx. 1500 calories. I'm 5'3", 145 (ugh) aiming for 125. Highest weights was 208. Started on WW, came here when I hit 158. Btw, yes I am using my scales for everything not liquid. :)

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Are you measuring the liquids? It sounds like you're not burning as much as you think in exercise. What is giving you an 800-1000 calorie burn?

Measuring liquids with cups and tablespoons.

Cardio- boxing, walking, jogging, elliptical, sports and plyometrics drills. 7x a week for 90 minutes. Circuit training 3x a week for an hour, done on same days as cardio.

And over 20,000 steps per day. Dietitian is actually worried activity might be excessive.
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'd say you're overestimating your exercise calorie burn. Machines and Fitbits can be notoriously inaccurate. For an average person, running a 10k results in about 600-800 calories burnt. What exercises are you doing and how many hours to burn 800-1000 calories?

Cardio- boxing, walking, jogging, elliptical, sports and plyometrics drills. 7x a week for 90 minutes. Circuit training 3x a week for an hour, done on same days as cardio.

And over 20,000 steps per day. Dietitian is actually worried activity might be excessive.
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    1) It's okay to be 5'3" and 145, you don't have to apologize for it. :)
    2) However you're estimating exercise calorie burn might be off; exercising for weight loss often runs into this pitfall. On the elliptical I cut my estimated calorie burn by 1/2-1/3 what the machine tells me.
    3) Burning that many calories every single day through exercise is a lot; I'm not judging and I'm sure you're crushin it in the gym, but do you never take a day off? Do you never do a lower-intensity workout? How do you feel after your workouts? Aiming for 800 calories just so you can eat 800 more calories is the downfall of many a fit fat person; I'm guilty of this. I'm debating having a second bowl of cereal right now and then going to the gym for 2 hours... that's dumb I know.

One thing that helps (though it's not as accurate as Vo2 max for calorie burn estimation) is checking in with a tool like this to estimate calorie burn by heart rate: http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html. By this method my burn was much lower than I thought; it's not 100% but gave me a ballpark. [/quote

I recently started adding in lower intensity days and more stretching/ rehab exercise only days. My fibromyalgia said I needed to scale back. Most of all that is for stress relief, which unfortunately results in rungries at times. :/
    I'll check out that site though. Thanks!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Great answers! I have been suspicious of my Fit bit recently. Sometimes it gives me a 2500 daily expenditure at the end of the day and I'm just like huh? So definitely will factor in less exercise calorie usage.

In all honesty, 2500 for the type of activity level you describe doesn't sound high at all. I realize something is off if you are trending upwards.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Are you measuring the liquids? It sounds like you're not burning as much as you think in exercise. What is giving you an 800-1000 calorie burn?

Measuring liquids with cups and tablespoons.

90 minutes is probably giving you 400-500 calories, depending on the ratio of walking to other things. Circuit training-- so, strength training? Doesn't really burn calories.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I think your estimated calorie burn seems a little high (which is unrelated to whether or not you are doing too much). Maybe a lot high.
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    Have you taken a diet break at any point? You certainly seem active enough for your numbers but there may be other factors impacting at the moment if you've been in a continuous deficit for a long time.

No, I haven't taken a diet break in almost a year.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You're hormones might be out of whack. Do some low intensity workouts too. You might have high cortisol levels from intense exercise over a long period of time, so take a break and do some lower intensity workouts.
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    You're hormones might be out of whack. Do some low intensity workouts too. You might have high cortisol levels from intense exercise over a long period of time, so take a break and do some lower intensity workouts.

Mentally this sounds scary. But deep down it sounds like exactly what my body and metabolism need.

Thank you all. :)
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I took a look at my Libra graph and it showed a creeping gain since August of about .25 lba week (excess of 150 calories per day it said). I have my calories set up for .5 loss per week (1320), so clearly something is not working. My average daily intake is 1700 to 1900 calories. I earn about 800 to 1000 a day in exercise so I have been eating some back.

Would the next step be to eat back less exercise calories? I am eating a bit over mainternance when I include so many exercise calories. Maintenance is appx. 1500 calories. I'm 5'3", 145 (ugh) aiming for 125. Highest weights was 208. Started on WW, came here when I hit 158. Btw, yes I am using my scales for everything not liquid. :)

First and foremost, these calculators give you an estimate based on population statistics...these number you get for your calorie targets aren't some kind of gospel...they are simply a reasonably good estimate to get started. Secondly, there are inherent inaccuracies in logging and keeping a food diary...even dietitians have difficulty...it's not a super accurate process. Third, while not a total crap shoot, estimating energy expenditure from exercise and other general activity is very inexact...all of these devices are simply giving you an estimate based on whatever algorithm they're using.

What this ultimately means is that you need to take the numbers from the calculators and gadgets and whatnot and use them in conjunction with your actual results...your actual results will tell you if you need to adjust something. Basically you need to cut out a snack or two.

Agreed!

Thanks for the advice :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

First and foremost, these calculators give you an estimate based on population statistics...these number you get for your calorie targets aren't some kind of gospel...they are simply a reasonably good estimate to get started. Secondly, there are inherent inaccuracies in logging and keeping a food diary...even dietitians have difficulty...it's not a super accurate process. Third, while not a total crap shoot, estimating energy expenditure from exercise and other general activity is very inexact...all of these devices are simply giving you an estimate based on whatever algorithm they're using.

What this ultimately means is that you need to take the numbers from the calculators and gadgets and whatnot and use them in conjunction with your actual results...your actual results will tell you if you need to adjust something. Basically you need to cut out a snack or two.

In light of this comment (which I 100% endorse), you might find this article interesting/informative:

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, you might want to take a look at the "Of Refeeds and Diet Breaks" thread. This article was posted within (so much good stuff in that thread) and reading your post made me think of it. https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/
This discussion has been closed.