Feeling TOO tired

Options
Hello all,

I feel EXTREMELY tired all the time!
I am a 33 year old female with certain health challenges (arthritis, hypothyroid). I am 180 lbs (with an on and off relationship with MFP (need serious motivation)). Even though at times I have gone to gym 4-5 times a week (for an hour or so every day), cleaned up my diet, I feel very very tired all the times, and its not helping me attain my physical goals. I have recently gotten my yearly examination done (followed up by blood work), in the hopes of finding the underlying reason behind the tiredness. I am wondering if you guys had any tips/suggestions to deal with it in the meantime till I wait for my results.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. would also appreciate any pearls of wisdom in staying consistent and motivated.

Replies

• OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would get very tired and fatigued after almost every single meal - I can't digest grains particularly "healthy whole grains" - they really make me sick. Not that grain is your issue, just saying it could be a 'healthy' food you have adopted.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit with sleep tracking so now I know I go into deep sleep between 11 pm and 1am. If I go to bed outside of that window, I’m tired all day the next day.
    Tl;dr - Improving your sleep hygiene might help.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Going another way, sleep apnea is really common especially in over-weight people. Maybe you should be tested.
  • sarahann104
    sarahann104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have taken my calories up to maintenance for this month, I have a feeling I was working out too much and not eating enough in the last month, I was eating about 1900 a day but I was exhausted, I also got blood work done, I get the results Monday. But in saying that, as soon as I started eating maintenance or close too I have been feeling much better.
    I also took most of the week off from the gym to give myself a little more of a rest and repair week. Mentally and Physically :)
    I hope you figure it out soon, It's hard being tired all the time.
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Could be something as little as needing more water. If your pee is dark, you’re not drinking enough, it makes you tired and lose weight slower.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fatigue is one of the prime symptoms of hypothyroid. You may need to have your medication adjusted. Studies have shown that weight loss can affect how well your hormone replacement works.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, I worked with a 53yo lady who was 5'3" @ 200lbs that was eating 700 calories a day, not drinking any water (but lots and lots of 'energy drinks') and had absolutely no energy at all. Now, she did not have any medical conditions. So, please consider this response with a grain of salt.....

Here is what we did:

1. Increased her calories each week for six weeks. I went slowly with her because she got the first increase and had a hard time 'eating all this food'.
    2. Started drinking water....we started at three glasses of water a day and each week increased it by one glass. There comes a point in time - and it will be different for everyone - when you think that you just can not do that 'one more glass of water'. So, when that time comes - and it will - just stick with the current number and work in the "+1" as you can.
    3. Increased NEAT (take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk to the store that is 1/4 mile down the road instead of drive, etc).
    4. Don't worry about macros at this point. But, if you want to, concentrate on protein intake.
    5. Weened her off of the energy drinks. As in - no more, ever.
    6. Looked for positive, attractive substitutes (she was pretty much all carbs)

We did not work together after six weeks but in that time frame she actually lost several pounds and her energy level was through the roof.

So, notwithstanding medical conditions, the above really worked well for her.

We were going to start working on the macro breakdown but did not make it that far. Exercise (as in 'training') would have followed.

Hope that this helps and wish you really good luck | hard work with this....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I feel EXTREMELY tired all the time!
    I am a 33 year old female with certain health challenges (arthritis, hypothyroid). I am 180 lbs (with an on and off relationship with MFP (need serious motivation)). Even though at times I have gone to gym 4-5 times a week (for an hour or so every day), cleaned up my diet, I feel very very tired all the times, and its not helping me attain my physical goals. I have recently gotten my yearly examination done (followed up by blood work), in the hopes of finding the underlying reason behind the tiredness. I am wondering if you guys had any tips/suggestions to deal with it in the meantime till I wait for my results.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. would also appreciate any pearls of wisdom in staying consistent and motivated.

Do you cut carbs when you 'clean up' your diet?

what are your stats and current calorie goal?
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It can be a lot of reasons honestly like others have pointed out. I also have arthritis along with other chronic illnesses and find that I'm always exhausted. If I have a day off, I'm usually sleeping most of the day. My rheumatologist said it's very common. Here's an article that better explains how inflammatory diseases/disorders cause fatigue. I hope you get some answers soon!

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/pain-management/fatigue/fatigue-and-arthritis-pain.php
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly from your thyroid, I know some one whose thyroid is sluggish and she's always tired! But try all the tips above and let's see how your blood tests come out.
  • khalikhoopri
    khalikhoopri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You said you have "cleaned up your diet"...how many calories are you eating in a normal day? Average?

Have you "given" up caffeine lately?

I've been tired lately, but it's TOM and it's been rainy and gray as all get out. Do you think it might be a seasonal thing? I'm sure if it's some imbalance your tests will tell you.

Thanks for your input. Cleaned up my diet means, under 1200 cal and mostly taking fruits and veggies.
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Well, in the absence of information.....
    • Are you eating enough? If you are not eating the minimum or eating back your exercise calories, you can simply run out of energy.
    • Chronic pain/arthritis can tire you out
    • Thyroid imbalance can tire you out
    • Not getting enough sleep can tire you out. If you have undiagnosed sleep apnea you can be tired even if you are sleeping eight hours a night
    • Low iron can tire you out

Thanks for your response. Below are replies to your queries:

- I think I am eating enough. It is true that sometimes I try to eat the lower end of calorie intake and exercise, but that is due to the fact that if I don't go lower on the calories, I don't see ANY difference in my weight
    - I do have arthritis - any suggestions there?
    - I am trying to restore my thyroid with meds.
    - Going in for a sleep apnea test next week :)
    - Found in my yearly that I have a low iron, and started taking supplements

Hopefully all these changes would help out.

Thanks for your help.
  • khalikhoopri
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sometimes the answer is quite simple...

You might be tired because you are overweight and not moving enough...I found before I got healthy and lost the weight etc I was tired all the time...no reason other than I was a sloth.

Once I started losing I moved more and wow energy ensued...it's been great.

Don't get me wrong I still get tired but it's a real tired...from moving a lot.

That is true, very true.

I also think that I used to be VERY physically active (running almost every day + swimming + gym), but I have had certain surgeries refraining me from running hence my activity level is gone way low (I do at least 11k steps (have a fitbit)) but I don't think it makes any difference at all (since my body was used to vigorous exercise earlier). But reading your post inspired me and I think I will start HIIT workouts at home...will likely "shock" my body in a good way :)
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    I would get very tired and fatigued after almost every single meal - I can't digest grains particularly "healthy whole grains" - they really make me sick. Not that grain is your issue, just saying it could be a 'healthy' food you have adopted.

interesting ...surely something to think about
  • khalikhoopri
    Options
    I have a Fitbit with sleep tracking so now I know I go into deep sleep between 11 pm and 1am. If I go to bed outside of that window, I’m tired all day the next day.
    Tl;dr - Improving your sleep hygiene might help.

Funny you say that, I have improved my sleep cycle (with fitbit) and doing much better :)