Quit smoking

Options
Chakota17
Chakota17 Posts: 3,930 Member
Last year I lost 46 pounds. I was so proud of myself - I felt healthy, I was comfortable in my own skin, then it happened. I quit smoking. I maintained for a while and though that I could do it on my own. I quit logging my food and started late night binge eating instead. Guess what happened next. I gained 40 pounds back.. FOURTY pounds in 6 months!! I feel like crap, I'm not happy with myself and I need to get back into gear with my fitness and health.
Feel free to share your story and/or add me, I could use the motivation!!

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Physical fitness is four-fold: 1) BMI or %BF, 2) muscular strength, 3) cardio strength, and 4) flexibility

Work on all of them! Getting thin but still smoking is getting something done but you still won't be able to run or hike a mountain etc.

I quit smoking as a 16-yr old by running. Not very compatible with each other. I would recommend, every time someone wants to smoke to take a 5-min walk first. It will get a person thinking about how smoking is anti-cardio strength!

Find a diet that will work for you. If the small meals are hard, try IF and see if that will work (if you shorten your window enough, you can eat tell full and still not eat too many calories). You can do it! Good luck!
  • Caprilli
    Caprilli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear. I smoked a pack to a pack and a half since I was 16 and I quit this year in April, just before my 48th birthday. Unlike you I cheated and I do vape because I could not do completely without. Still I had gained 25 lbs in no time whats however.

My plan was to loose 2 lbs a week from July onwards. That did not quite work out either as we had visitors from Europe and then I went to visit Friends and Family for three weeks. The celebrations kept on coming BUT I still managed to take 10 lbs total weight off.

You will get there too. Maybe not from one day to the next but if you take it in small steps, it will last. It is tough to adjust the habits of a life time.
  • blambo61
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For those that smoke, just quit! It will be hell for a couple of weeks but you will get over it!
  • Caprilli
    Caprilli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Whilst I agree with you that quitting cold turkey is the best option, I consider my option better than not getting of the cigarettes at all! So does my Doctor. There is nothing like shutting down a conversation by not allowing individuality.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Caprilli wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with you that quitting cold turkey is the best option, I consider my option better than not getting of the cigarettes at all! So does my Doctor. There is nothing like shutting down a conversation by not allowing individuality.

I don't believe I ever said you can't try anything else. I just through out an option!
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking and on losing weight. They are both tough things to do, so you know you can do it again. I quit smoking in my 40's...about 20 years ago and after I quit couldn't figure out why it took me so long. I also started putting weight on in my 40's although I'm pretty sure I would have even if I'd never smoked and quit. I understand your frustration losing weight and putting it all back on. I did the same. Two years ago I lost 30 lbs. fairly quickly, but when I quit logging calories I went back to old habits of over-snacking and over the next year or so put it all back plus some extra. I'm now 45 days into a fresh start and already 14 pounds down. This time I plan on losing at least 50 and sticking to it even after I meet my goal.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good job for quitting smoking! I quit 15 years ago. Honestly, quitting smoking is way more important than a few pounds, so forgive yourself for not being able to quit smoking AND maintain your weight at the same time. Now back to work on your weight. You did it once, you can do it again. Feel free to add me if you would like. You've got this. Just think. 5 years from now, you could be a healthy weight, AND a former smoker with more than 5 years under your belt.