Is it true that eating late at night is bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Extremely rare that I have dinner before 6. Did not stop me losing weight
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Nope I eat 2000-2300 of my calories after 9pm and have been doing it for years. I lost doing so and am maintaining doing so.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of rubbish advice came about, because slimming clubs, slimming "experts" and the like, love to make rules and so justify their high fees. The latest I heard on TV was, never eat carbs after 6pm..... ??!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Just don't eat after midnight. Or get wet.

bad things happen then. bad bad things.
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    witcherkar wrote: »
    My weight loss doctor has me on a diet of having a protein shake for breakfast and dinner and a meal for lunch. He told me to have it for lunch and not dinner because you move around more during the day and are more likely to burn off some of the calories than later at night. Makes sense to me.

@witcherkar

I do hope you aren't paying good money for such poor advice?
    It actually makes no sense at all. Why does it matter if you burn off calories you just ate, or ate yesterday, or weeks ago?

Please do think ahead to when you get to goal weight, building sustainable habits during your weight loss phase really does help the transition. Having two protein shakes instead of meals (they aren't designed as meal replacements anyway...) isn't, I assume, how you intend to eat for life?

Never trust anything a doctor says about nutrition unless they are specialized. They know less than most of the posters on here. We get 1 week of nutrition in medical school and basically all it says is "2000 diet, limit carbs, fat" which is wrong lol. I can't believe yours is specialized and still has no clue. There are too many doctors who aren't up to date with the literature and just say many myths that have perpetuated throughout society over the years because thats what they were once told years ago. We now know all of that isn't true.

He is a bariatric doctor and i also see his nutritionist. My insurance pays 100% lol. This diet is just for preop. Once i lose a certain amount of weight then after surgery i go to having 3 meals a day the healthy way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've started eating dinner at like 10 pm cause ya girl is busy. so I'm just wondering if this is bad for someone who wants to lose weight. Whoops lol. I've always heard eating later than 6 is bad

Think about this...logically...like really think about whether or not that actually makes sense.

I'll give you a hint...millions of years of evolution did not leave us having to stop eating after some arbitrary time of day...
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Very enlightening discussion!