Weight Loss and Dating

Options
I was recently brutally dumped so I am back on the market and looking for someone awesome to share my life with. I hate being alone :'( . Anyway, on Sunday night I had a first date with a really handsome ex coworker. He seemed to be really into me. :) The date went well.

Anyway, here is the horrible part. He decided a good first date would be Cheesecake Factory. Now, dudes like their girls to eat but they like them to be skinny so I was not about to make a super anal order and interrogate the waitress about how everything is made because it's a first date!!! And it's not like I'm skinny yet so he can be like "oh, that's why" NO. I'm still chubs as hell so me doing that would have looked ridiculous.

So, I ordered what seemed to be the healthiest thing on the menu. A salad with a bunch of greens, beets, pecans, and vinegarette. So, I had that and water with lemon thinking there is no way I went over 400 calories. I had 425 left for the day, and to my chagrin, I get home to log that **** and it says I ate 1047 calories!!!!! WTF?!

My question is, what do I do with weight loss and dating? I don't want to seem high maintenance because really I'm not. I'm a very chilly and down to earth person and I don't want to ridicule myself on a first date. But I don't want to sabotage my weight loss as a result. I've done so well so far and to have another incident like this would be awful.

What have you guys done? And guys; would you be like "OMG, this hoe is putting on show for me like she's a super model and she's totally not" or would you be supportive sweeties???

How soon is too soon to discuss my special diet needs?

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mendogirl
    Options
    as far as going on dates and ordering.. i would just not eat the whole entire thing. eat only half of it and ask for the other half to go and have it for lunch the day. i don't know what to do about discussing it with someone else, because i am in a relationship and its very out there that i am trying to lose weight lol
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Read, Read, and more reading..... (nutrition data that is) of possible places you might go.

Usually the guy let's you suggest where you want to go, and that's your key to point out a "safe" place.

There are limited places to go around here, so it's prolly a little easier then where you live, but it's been done.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Eat half of everything, that's really the only thing you can do. Even salads at restaurants are ridiculous. It's probably the pecans. If they are candied, they'll be higher in calories but nuts are already pretty high calorie and usually it's for 1/4 cup serving not 1 cup like it probably was in the salad. Make good choices like you did, but eat half. Don't eat bread, try to look up your options if he tells you where you're going beforehand... or be sneaky and use your MFP app to look up stuff (if you have a phone that has one!).
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I'm married but if I were in your shoes I would select the venue and invite them.... >.> That way I can control what I eat :)

Also, if the restaurant if expensive, I would offer to pay for the meal. It's modern times, I don't mind paying for dinner :)
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I would try to look up the menu and nutrition facts on line before you go on the date. Did he tell you where you were going ahead of time?
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    First of all you had me rollin on the "Hoe" part! bahahaa! :laugh:

and I think that if he asked you out on a date it's because he likes you and is interested to get to know you, so maybe that's a conversation you guys should have and tell him your not trying to sound snobby or high maintenance, it's just that your working really hard to get healthy, and making better food choices for yourself, IF HE LIKES YOU i'm sure he'll completely understand! So be honest :) good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • ritaraffai
    Options
    Hey! Well, I think it is OK, I mean you still can go to the gym the next day and work out a little bit more;) and you do not eat much every day so I am 100% sure you will be fine and from time to time eat well with ur date.... PS I loove cheescake!! lol
    xoxoxo
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I was recently brutally dumped so I am back on the market and looking for someone awesome to share my life with. I hate being alone :'( . Anyway, on Sunday night I had a first date with a really handsome ex coworker. He seemed to be really into me. :) The date went well.

Anyway, here is the horrible part. He decided a good first date would be Cheesecake Factory. Now, dudes like their girls to eat but they like them to be skinny so I was not about to make a super anal order and interrogate the waitress about how everything is made because it's a first date!!! And it's not like I'm skinny yet so he can be like "oh, that's why" NO. I'm still chubs as hell so me doing that would have looked ridiculous.

So, I ordered what seemed to be the healthiest thing on the menu. A salad with a bunch of greens, beets, pecans, and vinegarette. So, I had that and water with lemon thinking there is no way I went over 400 calories. I had 425 left for the day, and to my chagrin, I get home to log that **** and it says I ate 1047 calories!!!!! WTF?!

My question is, what do I do with weight loss and dating? I don't want to seem high maintenance because really I'm not. I'm a very chilly and down to earth person and I don't want to ridicule myself on a first date. But I don't want to sabotage my weight loss as a result. I've done so well so far and to have another incident like this would be awful.

What have you guys done? And guys; would you be like "OMG, this hoe is putting on show for me like she's a super model and she's totally not" or would you be supportive sweeties???

Eat healthy!! Never let the fear of what someone thinks about you keep you from being healthy. You'd be surprised a lot of guys think it's sexy when a girl takes care of herself and her body by watching what she eats! I agree a first date would be challenging, I allow myseld one "cheat day" per week so make that your date night! I will eat healthy throughout the day and then for dinner I will have pizza or mexican food and I just don't worry about how many calories I eat. I have not gained a single pound by having this cheat day for almost a year :)
  • Doubleube68
    Options
    Yummm....Cheesecake Factory! Good stuff! :)

You never know with salads because the dressing could be so high in fat and/or calories. You could just ask for a low cal dressing (or the dressing on the side and use it as a dip...you don't eat as much that way), I don't think that is being too high maintenence. Also, almost every restaurant has some kind of baked chicken dish and if you order it with veggies only, rather than any pasta or potatoes, you should be fine.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    which salad did you get from there do you remember the name of it?
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Im married so I cant help you much on how to bring it up but we go out quite frequently with his guy friends. They are all military and is stupidly great shape so I always look up the menu to where we're going before hand so I can pick the right thing. I'm not willing to have all the boys know im on a diet just yet. Honestly I havent told many people I'm dieting...

I'd say wait until you feel comfortable talking to him about it. there's no schedule on relationships so just do your best to keep it in track and then bring it up later...maybe invite him over and make him a super healthy yummy dinner!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you know where you're going in advance, problem solved :) So shoot for that and pre-plan.

Or, say "I'm really not an anal retentive ho (unless you're into that), but I'm watching what I shove in my man pleaser these days."

I vote for option B, cause that's how I roll.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying so much about what the guy thinks. I know you are young, and we are programmed to think about what others think. But as a man, let me tell you there is nothing more attractive than confidence (well, maybe confidence + an awesome sense of humor). Seriously. I can see from your picture that you are certainly attractive enough to meet men. Yes, men can be shallow, and focused on looks. But we can also be appreciative of other things too. Smart, confident, funny, and good kisser are the top qualities I looked for when dating, and the main reasons I married my wife. I also find her sexy and beautiful, but that is extra. IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON THE DATE, the guy thinks you are attractive. Trust me.

As far as sticking to your food plan, do what I do and DO NOT GO OUT TO EAT HUNGRY. That might mean a Slim-Fast in the car, or a protein bar or snack a half hour before dinner. Whatever you need - something filling (but not feeling stuffed) before going out to the meal. Then, order whatever you want (within reason) and *IMMEDIATELY* ask the waiter to pack half to go. Do it right away so it won't be tempting. You can say you promised your roommate, want a snack for later, aren't that hungry, whatever.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    restaurant salads are rediculous with the calories. you are often better off ordering a burger. even a bacon burger with avocado, onion rings and BBQ sauce has less calories than that salad.

best bet is probably to get a salad with grilled chicken and no dressing. ask for oil & vinegar cruets so you can control the oil content. and don't eat the crutons.
  • tlahuiltzin
    tlahuiltzin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would try to look up the menu and nutrition facts on line before you go on the date. Did he tell you where you were going ahead of time?

I had like half hour notice where we were going because we couldn't decide on the city. He lives in Los Angeles, I live in the San Fernando Valley (35-45mins away) so we were trying to meet somewhere in the middle.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Missed that question in my original reply.

Honestly, it's none of his business unless you want to discuss it. And in my opinion, you don't need to frame it "special diet needs" but "healthy eating." I feel better when I eat healthy. Don't you? What is there left to discuss after that? It's only an "issue" if you make it an issue.
  • sjwarren66
    Options
    I'm not on the dating scene, but I do plan ahead for social occasions in which I know food and cocktails will be involved.

If you know ahead of time, research the menu options and make your decesion before you walk in the door. A lot of those chain restaurants have HIGH-cal items, even the ones you would think shouldn't be (like salads and wraps). Also, limit your calories for the day before hand - lighter breakfast, lighter lunch - and/or get your workout in before you go.

But most important, the pleasure you receive from enjoying each other's company is as much of a health benefit as monitoring your calories for the day. If you go over, don't beat yourself up over it. Good Luck!
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    I agree with all the suggestions so far. You could also try some date ideas that are not food related, like a museum trip or a visit to a local tourist attraction. And once you're comfortable with him you could even do active dates like hiking or a game of tennis. If he's into you, he'll also be into your active, healthy lifestyle. I don't think you need to make a big deal about your diet. If you feel the need to explain you can say you're making healthy choices.
  • tlahuiltzin
    tlahuiltzin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    restaurant salads are rediculous with the calories. you are often better off ordering a burger. even a bacon burger with avocado, onion rings and BBQ sauce has less calories than that salad.

best bet is probably to get a salad with grilled chicken and no dressing. ask for oil & vinegar cruets so you can control the oil content. and don't eat the crutons.

Seriously!! Makes me wish I had that pepperoni pizza for just about the same calories. Shiiiiii.