Carbs -- I just can't do it

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466

Maybe bcatt was an athlete and needs the carbs, not mention complex carbs in her system because they burn slower giving her extra energy.

Do I need to go on?

IMO, athletes are the only people that should be taking in large quantities of carbohydrates.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Grains are not as good for you as you might think. All carbs become sugar anyway no matter what.

Whole grains are very good for you! A recent study showed that women who get most of their fiber from whole grains lived longer, healthier (less disease) lives than women who got fiber from other sources.

Not always true. As a celiac I'll vouch that whole grains are killer for some of us. Also, a lot of research is being done into gluten and its purpose in the body, and a lot of people are seeing that we it too much of it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/AN00303

Point?
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    My first suggestion would be to cut back on the 500-700 empty calories in wine.
    Add those calories back in with a high fiber food and you should have no problem getting there.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

Maybe bcatt was an athlete and needs the carbs, not mention complex carbs in her system because they burn slower giving her extra energy.

Do I need to go on?

IMO, athletes are the only people that should be taking in large quantities of carbohydrates.

I'm not an athlete and I take in large quantities of carbs on certain days.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Do I need to go on?

I'm no athlete. I do one hour of aerobic - high impact 6 days a week (Zumba). And I do some resistance training for tone, but I don't log that so it wouldn't affect the settings. I start off with 168 carbs and it jump to 238 (I think) after I enter the exercise. Zumba is quite a calorie burner, I sweat like crazy, and MFP gives me 496 extra calories. But I don't run out of energy and if I get hungry I eat (always! hate to be hungry). I wonder if the setting is for total carbs but my entries are counting net carbs so it looks like I'm not eating enough. I'll have to try and track that I guess.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    I consume a very high carb diet. Not all of it is ideal. I do eat white rice, but that's only because my husband doesn't like brown (yet). Adding more fruit to your diet will get you more carbs. According to the data submitted to MFP, a banana has 27 grams. A nectarine has 20. Combine this with some legumes and whole grains and you are on your way to a high carb and healthy diet.
  • joejccva71
    Grains are not as good for you as you might think. All carbs become sugar anyway no matter what.

Whole grains are very good for you! A recent study showed that women who get most of their fiber from whole grains lived longer, healthier (less disease) lives than women who got fiber from other sources.

Not always true. As a celiac I'll vouch that whole grains are killer for some of us. Also, a lot of research is being done into gluten and its purpose in the body, and a lot of people are seeing that we it too much of it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/AN00303

Point?

Did you actually read the information on the site or are you just going to be a smartass? =)
  • bcattoes
    My first suggestion would be to cut back on the 500-700 empty calories in wine.
    Add those calories back in with a high fiber food and you should have no problem getting there.

Oh now you are just talking crazy!! :noway: No, no, no, not giving up the wine unless my doctor tells me it's affecting my health.
  • joejccva71
    Sparta.jpg
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Heck, I eat 200g of carbs per day on average and around 170g of protein and aroud 75g of fat. Carbs are easy to get:

Whole grain bread 18g per slice
    Potato: 64g
    Apple 25g
    Banana 51g

You can have two pieces of fruit and a sandwich in a day and get to 130g pretty easy.
  • bcattoes

Celiac disease is not caused by whole grains. That argument is like me saying protein is bad because I know someone with a protein allergy.
  • bcattoes
    Heck, I eat 200g of carbs per day on average and around 170g of protein and aroud 75g of fat. Carbs are easy to get:

Apple 25g
    Banana 51g

You can have two pieces of fruit and a sandwich in a day and get to 130g pretty easy.

Aaaggghhh!! The dreaded banana. Wish I could learn to like them. I hate the taste, smell, texture, everything.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    I think you should roll around in a tub full of beer and eat fried chocolate-covered donuts to help reach your fitness goals, that'll help for sure.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144

Apple 25g
    Banana 51g

Baby carrots!

I eat a pound a day and its 44g of carbs, so tasty.
  • bcattoes
    I think you should roll around in a tub full of beer and eat fried chocolate-covered donuts to help reach your fitness goals, that'll help for sure.

Would I get the same results if I rolled in the fried donuts and drank the beer? I don't eat a lot of sweets.
  • bcattoes
    Baby carrots!

I do love carrots. Let me ask you an off-topic question. Has your skin ever turned orange-ish? I told a co-worker once that I ate carrots at almost every meal (not now, but I did for a while when doing a restrictive diet) and she said my skin would turn orange but that it wasn't dangerous. I told her she was crazy, but another co-worker, this one a nurse, said it was true.
  • Rob82
    Rob82 Posts: 15

Would I get the same results if I rolled in the fried donuts and drank the beer? I don't eat a lot of sweets.

I get on board with any plan that involves drinking beer...lol.
    Seriously though I think you should just change your MFP goals to lower the crabs down to around 100g a day, and then it will be easy to reach.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    This is a fun thread. Ah, the holy war of carbs. It's just like mac vs pc, emacs vs vi, harley vs metric bike, tastes great vs less filling

OP - if you've had months of success staying below the MFP carb guideline, then i suggest changing your macronutrient ratios to be more inline with your actual intake, rather than trying to change your intake to match the suggested target. I think MFP defaults protein to 15% - you can change that to 30% and take away 15% from carbs...

And don't take these low-carb people too seriously. The lack of carbs makes them kind of grumpy. They can't really help it. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    I get on board with any plan that involves drinking beer...lol.
    Seriously though I think you should just change your MFP goals to lower the crabs down to around 100g a day, and then it will be easy to reach.

I guess my dilemma is whether I SHOULD adjust it to fit my diet, which I think is healthy. Or would it be even healthier if I tried to meet the MFP goals. I'll have to mull this over this evening I guess and decide. I do love mulled wine. :laugh:
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Baby carrots!

I do love carrots. Let me ask you an off-topic question. Has your skin ever turned orange-ish? I told a co-worker once that I ate carrots at almost every meal (not now, but I did for a while when doing a restrictive diet) and she said my skin would turn orange but that it wasn't dangerous. I told her she was crazy, but another co-worker, this one a nurse, said it was true.

Yes actually my hands and feet have taken on an orangeish hue, its probably not just the carrots, I eat a lot of colorful veggies now which will do that. But yes its quite true and not necessarily bad for you, it can as far as I've read make you a bit less sensitive to the sun.

But yes I have a definite orange tinge to my hands and feet now, it looks like a natural tan.
This discussion has been closed.