I lost 10 pounds in 1 day last week. Bashers, line up...

Options
Last week I had a scheduled check-in. I am not just doing MFP by the power of my own will, I have an accountability situation set up, with check-in's. Being sick for a week, then throwing out my back, I knew all month I would miss this one, and the stress was accumulating. By check in time, I was 9 pounds over. My plan was to put my hand on the bathroom sink and lift 9 pounds off the scale for my photo, i.e., cheat, but that put even more stress on me.

I searched for alternatives to cheating. Sure enough, Tim Ferriss lost over 30 pounds one day to qualify for a martial arts tournament. I studied his method and reasoned that I would do what he did, but with my own twist, and on a much lower level. I drank lemon juice, took dandelion root and planned a steam. I added magnesium citrate, my twist, for which I was sorry. Within 2 hours I was on the throne, but only once during the day. I kept up the lemon and dandelion with small amounts of water, and peed a lot. Later, I went to the steam bath. I took short trips in, then cooled off by the pool while taking small sips of water. Each time I came out I toweled all the sweat off. I did not get into the shower or any of the pools. After a few trips, water weight started coming off, and within 1.5 hours I was a pound below my goal. I weighed in, took my picture, and replenished. The laxative took effect late that night and turned out to be totally unnecessary.

Before you call this "dangerous" let me remind you that working outside on a hot day you will lose more water weight than I did. Dancing in a crowded club while drinking alcohol is more dangerous than this. Steam baths are good for cleansing your pores and detoxing. I know better, as should you, that this is not a long-term way to lose weight. At worse, I got a good cleansing and replaced my water immediately. The next morning, I was back up 6 pounds. That weight now gets lumped into my next check-in in January. If I regret anything it's that I didn't do the slow & steady work to make my easily-attainable goal. Otherwise, the steam was great, and the laxative unnecessary. You wouldn't believe how many youtube videos there are of people taking magnesium citrate for weight loss!

None of this matters if you don't have accountability, but I share it anyway. Most MFP'ers don't set goals with dates that must be kept. There are some contests I see but it's easy to fall out and "start again Monday." After 20 years of being fat this didn't work for me. I'm down 50 pounds this year so far and plan to lose another 20. I have quit many times, but my accountability situation forced me back in the game. Believe this, my January goal will be met the right way. Believe this too, water weight fluctuation is real, as is colon volume. If you wake up and you weight 1-2 pounds more, there's a 99% chance it's water or food in your system.

Replies

• bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm ??????
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    But didn't you say you gained some of the weight back? Or did I read that wrong?
    How are you accountable if all you lost was water weight not fat?
  • OpinionatedCyborg
    OpinionatedCyborg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

.... None of this matters if you don't have accountability, .....

Your gaming the system wasn't weight loss. You just lied at your check-in. If you call that accountability then good for you.

That's what I'm thinking. Cheating isn't accountability. It's kind of the exact opposite of accountability. Accountability would have been wearing the gain.

If so, then every fighter who cuts for a weigh-in is also cheating, and thanks for calling me a liar. I was accountable to my goal. =o]

Never called you a liar. I said you cheated.

Sorry! @Junedog1 did
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Now see, I'm in the opposite situation. The gym at work is running a "Maintain, Don't Gain" challenge through the holidays, where you weigh in in November and weigh out in January. You're eligible for a prize if you maintain or lose through the T-day, Xmas, and New Year holidays. It is therefore to my benefit to be as heavy as possible to weigh in this week. Not that I did it on purpose, but the mystery 5 lbs I added last week -- probably water weight related to my beginning weight training -- will come in handy here!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!