Sugar: The Bitter Truth

1235»

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I see what you're saying. I've mainly been avoiding just HFCS. But I think I better watch this video and maybe rethink it. I'm going to look at the ingredient list of my bread when I get home.

This video doesn't really address sugar in bread. The closest guideline he gives is "have your sugar with fiber". The idea being that fruit has fructose but it also has fiber which works as the "antidote" to the problems of fructose. His focus is on the problems that come when we drink the sugar and we don't get the fiber. Presumably, a high fiber bread wouldn't be as much of a problem as soda or juice, but he doesn't really address it.
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    thanks
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    is there any good yogurt out there that is 'diet' friendly? Aside from plain yogurt?....I'm running out of breakfast ideas....

I have Stonyfield Organics YoKids. No HFCS or fructose or anything else nasty.

thanks
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    is there any good yogurt out there that is 'diet' friendly? Aside from plain yogurt?....I'm running out of breakfast ideas....

I have Stonyfield Organics YoKids. No HFCS or fructose or anything else nasty.

thanks

As a point of clarification, the second ingredient in those yogurts is "organically milled sugar" which is sucrose (glucose and fructose). But again, this video wasn't saying you can never eat sucrose. It's found in fruits and vegetables. His point was that you should eat it with fiber.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump:wink:
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    bump
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Just a fyi... the Bible tells us to do/eat/drink all things in moderation. Granted, a lot of our food has been altered, and we need to avoid those things as much as possible. However, honey is a natural product from nature and doesn't require any kind of processing (gotta know where your honey is coming from and raw is best!). There have been numerous studies on it and it has properties that are very helpful to our bodies--IN MODERATION. That said, honey is a natural preservative, and it also feeds the yeast in the bread creating a light loaf. I used to make whole grain bread every day, freshly grinding the wheat, making my own yogurt to add to it (or my own buttermilk). I have a theory about gluten-intoleration now, since there are so many people with gluten allergies theses days.

Anyways, processed anything is not good for our bodies, and can, in fact, be very harmful. Ergo, we should avoid these things as much as is reasonably possible, making the bulk of our diet fresh, natural, organic, raw foods, leaving consumption of processed foods of all kinds to a bare minimum in our diet.

Healthy, happy life to you all!!!

:-)
  • SusieSonshine
    WOW!!! O_O I eat Yoplait yogurt EVERY morning...it never occured to me to turn the container around and look at the ingredients....and plain as day a few ingredients in....HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP....*sigh*....is there any good yogurt out there that is 'diet' friendly? Aside from plain yogurt?....I'm running out of breakfast ideas....

I use plain greek yogurt and add berries to it along with some flax seed meal. Maybe I add a little organic raw blue agave syrup, like about a teaspoon if I am craving something sweet. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and other markets that cater to natural, organic foods are your best bet, however, I have found items that I can buy in some supermarkets such as Albertson's, Von's, etc.
  • SusieSonshine
    Bump