Running Camps Help!!!

Options
Recently I took up running and it's help me shed 30 lbs fast.
The problem is I get terrible cramps in my calf and feet!!

I am not the best water drinker, and I don't really stretch before a run like I should.
Other than doing those two things,(which I will start doing) is there anything else I can help to reduce the cramps?

Any vitamins, special shoes, certain stretches?

Any advise is appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get fit for shoes

Stretch after running, not before.
  • Kelsey214
    Kelsey214 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Get fit for shoes

Any particular brand you recommend?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of cushion so I would recommend Hokas
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've never bothered stretching before or after running, for what it's worth - and I've done some fairly long runs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kelsey214 wrote: »

The most appropriate shoe fit you is the one that suits your build, gait and running style. My preferred shoe might be completely inappropriate for you. Essentially go to a proper running shop and get some advice.

With respect to cramp, it may be dietary or it might be related to your gait. Difficult to tell, so the first thing to do is get the correct shoes.

As far as stretches are concerned, I never stretch before running and only bother afterwards if it's been an intense speed session.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Get fit for shoes

Nope, you have to get what is best for you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options
    Get fit for shoes

The brand that fleet feet decides is the best fit for me.

I've worn Brooks, NB, and Altras.

The first pair has ALWAYS been bought from Fleet feet. ALWAYS. It's worth the time, it's worth the money.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

The most airport shoe fit you is the one that suits your build, gait and running style. My preferred shoe might be completely inappropriate for you. Essentially go to a proper running shop and get some advice.

With respect to cramp, it may be dietary or it might be related to your gait. Difficult to tell, so the first thing to do is get the correct shoes.

As far as stretches are concerned, I never stretch before running and only bother afterwards if it's been an intense speed session.

Airport shoe fit?! :laugh:
  • GoodnightJulia
    GoodnightJulia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In addition to stretching and getting fit for shoes: I'd like to reiterate -- get professionally fit for shoes. Don't buy them yourself. Someone else's recommended brand will be almost worthless to you. A professional can watch you run and have you try on lots of shoes and you should select the one that feels best to you. Bring your current shoes to the shop so they can analyze the wear pattern on them.

As far as the cramping, also make sure you're getting enough electrolytes. Get some extra potassium. Don't limit your sodium intake (for some reason people still do this without any advice to do so from their doctor) -- if you run a lot you sweat a lot, you lose electrolytes, and that can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms not the least of which is muscle cramps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

The most airport shoe fit you is the one that suits your build, gait and running style. My preferred shoe might be completely inappropriate for you. Essentially go to a proper running shop and get some advice.

Airport shoe fit?! :laugh:

Good old automangling of one's speeling and grammer....
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Don't buy them yourself.

Fwiw I've never had a gait analysis, but I did do a lot of research on shoe design, gait, running style etc before buying.

I'm probably a bit of an edge case, as I recall going into a central London running shop about 18 months ago and asking for advice on something appropriate for a trail 50 miler. They couldn't help.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My sister has a Tri coach the told her to get some of those McDonald's salt packets and dump a packet in when cramping starts. She said it works.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are they cramps or shin splints/plantar fasciitis? Definitely try to get fitted for proper running shoes (they should be at least 1 whole size larger than your everyday shoes, too). Do not add too much mileage on a daily/weekly basis--most guidelines say 10% at a time. Stretch out well after running--learn to use a foam roller/myofascial release ball. If it is planter fasciitis--rolling a frozen water bottle or chilled aluminum soda can under your foot can feel fantastic.

I love running--it's been fantastic for weight loss for me, too. Consider adding yoga and some hip strength training to keep yourself un-injured.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I second the salt guy -- and fluids.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Generally cramps when running are a sign that you trying to do more than your current level of fitness allows. Since you just started running, you are probably trying to do too much too soon. Back off the mileage. Go easier. Run slower.

Definitely get proper shoes, but also let your muscles heal and don't push yourself as hard.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Here I thought there was a grown-up camp for runners. Super disappointed.

I've actually been to a triathlon camp - it included running. Much wine was drunk after dark.

I went on a wild running camp earlier this year. They do exist!!!

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I want to go to runner camp!