Need to get kids on board

Options
Hey all!
Looking to make dietary changes for a more healthy lifestyle. In the past, when I've tried to do this, the kids mutiny or I end up making two different meals for the adults and kids. Making big changes, so why add more stress?!

Anyone done this before who has any practical tips and advice for getting kids on board? Or success stories about how you changed your eating habits and how you managed that with kids? Like doing Whole 30 with the whole family type of change? Or going vegetarian? Big changes?

I have two boys, 13 and 10. They are not what I would call picky, but they are resistant to change and aren't eager to try new things. I tend to be an "eat or starve" kind of parent, but try to make sure every meal has something they like, but want to make things easier for myself and get them building better nutrition habits as well.

TIA!

Replies

• chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My kids are more willing to try things when they've helped grow it or cook it. Your boys are old enough to be in the kitchen with you making dinner.
    My daughter also likes to play the game where we blindfold her and give her foods to try and she tries to identify them (my very picky eater son will not try this game though).
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    start by asking them to make a list of what veggies/fruits they like best, then maybe try one new thing per week (in addition to the things they already like?)
    A couple of things I read when my kids were younger- when hungry, they will eat the largest amount of the first item you give them- so sometimes I start with a veggie plate "appetizer" or apple slices or whatever. I shoot for half the plate with fruit/veg, then 1/4 protien and 1/4 starch.
    Second, it takes 8-10 tries for kids to accept "new foods" so keep trying.
    also, meatloaf/spaghetti sauce: I chop zucchini or spinach up super fine in the food processor and add it in. they never know.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I have been a kid and I have changed my eating habits. (Those changes were pretty drastic, but I eat very normal now - it was the eating habits I changed from, that were extreme.)

My top tips:
    Eat family meals, only one meal at the time, which everybdy is supposed to eat.
    Avoid mixing things too much, let everyone pick what they like.
    Have theme nights through the week - for instance Italian, Mexican, Pizza night, slowcooker, Sunday roast - or different meats, vegs, starches - this creates predictability as well as opens up for more variety.
    Let each person choose a dinner per week.
    Involve the kids into some of the process, at least shopping and cooking and cleaning up; you'll be able to sneak in meal planning, nutrition and value for money, too, all age appropriately, of course.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    These are good tips, for sure. But I don't think I phrased my question well. They already eat okay, and eat what I feed them, but I'm thinking of trying a meal plan--one like Whole 30 or a couple of others I'm researching that have recipes and whatnot that may be a bit harder for them to get used to or have big adjustments. I'm wondering if anyone has done something like that with kids?
    It may just be that I follow the plan and just make the dinner options and put it in front of them! They'll eat if they are hungry enough!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When you say you've tried this in the past and end up making 2 different meals, (adult and kids) what exactly does that mean? Healthy for the adults and allowing the kids to eat whatever they want??

I have 3 grown daughters and 7 grand kids, so I have some experience. The kids were always told you can have the "snack" "candy bar" "pop tart" or whatever AFTER you eat something healthy.

I recall going out with another couple and their kids once, we said do you want to stop for pizza for lunch? The mom said she would prefer a diner so they could elect something healthier (this sounds good so far right?) well we went to a diner and everyone chose their own item, the (overweight) son chose grilled cheese and fries... then to my horror, I watched the mom (who had recommended the diner for the healthier option) put BUTTER on the kid's grilled cheese cause that's how he likes it!!!???

The adult parent needs to say what is acceptable and what isn't on a kids diet. If a kid is under the age of 12 and obese, I would say that is either a genetic issue or the parent's fault 100%

Kids don't know anything about nutrition. The parent's just have to know that buttered noodles, grilled cheese and fries, McDonalds, Burger King, etc are not something your kids should be eating often!

Stick to your rule, eat what I gave you or starve, and try to accommodate them to a degree (If they don't like sweet potatoes, don't give them sweet potatoes, skip the potato) But that doesn't mean you can't make a sweet potato for the rest of the family. If one kids doesn't like carrots, make them big is a stew or salad so they can pick them out. Stuff like that but try to make sure they eat balanced and try not to buy them too many sugary items to keep in the house. They don't need cookies every week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    Hey all!
    Looking to make dietary changes for a more healthy lifestyle. In the past, when I've tried to do this, the kids mutiny or I end up making two different meals for the adults and kids. Making big changes, so why add more stress?!

Anyone done this before who has any practical tips and advice for getting kids on board? Or success stories about how you changed your eating habits and how you managed that with kids? Like doing Whole 30 with the whole family type of change? Or going vegetarian? Big changes?

I have two boys, 13 and 10. They are not what I would call picky, but they are resistant to change and aren't eager to try new things. I tend to be an "eat or starve" kind of parent, but try to make sure every meal has something they like, but want to make things easier for myself and get them building better nutrition habits as well.

TIA!

Include them, don't just tell them.
    They are old enough to learn about nutrition, discuss food choices and make decisions on what to put in their bodies.
    They are old enough to help with meal planning and cooking. They are old enough to make a sandwich or get a bowl of cereal if they don't like what you make.
    Compromise and try new food once a week to start instead of trying to change everything at once.
  • JennyRATL
    Options
    No, not adults eat healthy and kids eat crap or what ever they want. More like, if we are having bean bowls for dinner, I might do white rice for them, and quinoa or brown rice for us, because they prefer white.
    I'm not interested in a "fad" diet, but as an example, if I'm following a whole food or healthier meal plan that has a dinner of fish with bok choy one night as part of my plan, do I skip it or make two dinners, because my kids wouldn't touch it? Don't make it at all? Fix them something else? Let's say I want a grilled chicken breast with roasted sweet potatoes for dinner one night. My kids don't eat sweet potatoes, so skip them and just feed them grilled chicken? Make them another side? I see so many recipes that are healthful and look good, but stop short because I think "there is no way they'll eat that"

We don't currently have terrible diets or eat poorly, but I'd like to make some changes and I'm just curious if anyone had done something similar with their kids. I just want to know what may have been successful for others who have made changes.
  • JennyRATL
    Options
    And again, this is not "how do I feed my kids better" but rather "how did you go about making changes with kids?"

And by diet, I don't mean "I'm going on a diet and am making them suffer too" but rather, "I'd like to make some improvements and changes that I think my kids might resist but I don't want them eating a bowl of cereal every time I make something they don't like"

I must be terrible at conveying what I mean! :D
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've aimed at this for years with some success. First thing I do is increase veggie portions of the veg they really like. Even if that means serving a lot more sweet corn, carrots and peas, or salads based around iceberg and cucumber - it all helps instill in them an understanding that we need lots of fresh stuff as fuel.

Next I hid a lot of veg in food they liked. So I'd make burgers with pureed spinach, red onion and fennel stirred in with the beef. Amazingly they didn't notice. I kept experimenting with healthier versions of foods they loved (mac n cheese made with quark not white sauce etc) and build it up that way.

I also talked to them a lot about nutrition and asked them which healthy choices they were going to make. It's a slow process...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Not sure what type of changes you are making but if they are drastic I'd suggest easing into it. Children don't always handle big changes well. Eating healthier isn't something you have to do overnight. Just continually make small changes until you get to a happy place.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What my mom used to do was make one meal for everyone; if I wasn't all that keen on a part of it I had to at least eat a bit. If I didn't eat it all I wouldn't be allowed dessert. I'd maybe aim for more than one vegetable with each meal - something the kids will eat and something for them to try?

I just looked at Whole 30... No way. I think I'd have to change every one of my go to meals to do that! That's crazy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do Whole 30 with kids. Actually I wouldn't do Whole 30 at all. Just cook good wholesome meals. Always include a vegetable with dinner. Eat smaller portions or skip the carb-side.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't accidentally, and with the best intentions, get sucked into a fad diet - nobody calls their diet "faddy", but "whole food or healthier meal plan" can be just as overambitious. Normal foods are good enough - just aim for variety. You can combine any protein with any starch with any veg - as fitoverfortymom showed you. Some compromise is necessary, like Lounmoun said - and some degree of choice can make your kids feel more relaxed, and it's important to feel that their voices are heard - don't try to accomodate to every whim, but be flexible - sometimes make brown and white rice, sometimes make bok choy and green beans. Have you tried different preparations? I, for instance, dislike sweet potatoes in all other forms than mashed, but that is something I love. If you always have bread in the house, that's an emergency item that can be eaten with anything.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm having a little trouble trouble getting your meaning but after your last comment I think maybe you're just looking for ways to get your kids to try new things that you might like to try out. It doesn't have to do with eating better or anything drastic, just different which kids can be resistant to.

If that's what you mean I totally get that it can be tricky. I'm thinking that since your kids are older maybe you can include them in the choices of new things to try. Like maybe you can talk to them about the big picture of what you're wanting to do and get their input into how you might all be able to do it. If you come to then with the idea of what you want to do and ask them to help you figure out how to get it done, you might be able to get more buy in. At least to the idea. You all can work together to figure out the details.

I always try to think about what I ultimately want to accomplish when I'm making changes within our family life. When I find myself stuck in a dilemma like this, I'll just ask everyone what they think and will they help me figure it out. This would also require you to be more open to doing it a little different than you might want to, but it turns it from something you want to do to something we're all doing together.

In my opinion it's ok to tell them that we're going to make some changes and you want their input if they'd like to get it, but if they don't then that's ok too, but we're still going to do it. This is so they can understand that what's on the table is how to make the changes not whether or not changes are going happen.

This seems a little rambling and may not be at all the advice you're looking for, but I'm just trying to spitball some ideas based on my possibly incorrect assumptions.

Good luck.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Do your kids have weight issues? Do they eat a balanced diet already? Are they active? Do they really need to "get on board" for their health?

You are the parent and control the finances and food that comes into the home. If you are cooking, you have control over meal planning.

I'm an "eat what I made" or "eat what you make" kind on parent. If the kids don't like your dinner, there is no reason that a 10 and 13 year old can't make their own dinners. Provide healthy options, like nut butters, fruit, veggies, cheese...and they can figure out something to eat...or eat the dinner you make.

ETA: I just saw your last post. Don't want them to eat cereal for dinner? Don't buy it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Big change- my parent had a heart bypass and stayed with us several weeks while recovering. Had to start a low sodium diet immediately for shared meals at least. This was a change that meant the health of a family member not trying a fad diet or something we could ease into.
    I got some complaints that things were different. I tried to find low sodium recipes that were tasty, used more herbs, let people add salt to their individual dish. We didn't stick with it after my parent went home but still use some low sodium recipes and I use less salt than I used to. It would have been easier to start with one day a week with different foods and changing more slowly. If you don't have to make a drastic change to your whole family's diet then don't. Make small changes.
    If you'd like to try some big change for yourself then suck it up and make your food separately unless the rest want to try it too.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes i do this but to make it easier on everyone i tend to make one meal 5 nights that we all eat. 2 nights i just feed the kids an easy unhealthy dinner (chicken nuggets & fries, mac cheese etc) and hubby and i will have a nicer meal just the two of us of something i know the kids wouldn't really eat. (spicy, curry etc) or like you said on those nights ill have sweet potato or seafood...