Calories - Do you eat back your burned exercise calories?

Options
I know this has been debated before but I can't remember what people said since I've been M.I.A. from MFP for way too long. Trying to get back on the wagon and trying to restart on the right foot. Thank you.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    are you using MFP calorie calculator? if yes, then you should eat back at least a portion of exercise calories
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    IIRC, My Fitness Pal uses an algorithm that does not take activities beyond your initial setting "sedentary, light ect." into account. There's probably a much better explanation in the sticky section. So it gives you back the exercise calories expecting you to eat them and still have yourself at a deficit where you will lose weight. I ate back my exercise calories for years, and saw results.

I recently switched to a TDEE calculation, and now I do NOT eat back those calories because those calories are factored in to the original number. Two different ways to crack a nut, you still get the nut.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    are you using MFP calorie calculator? if yes, then you should eat back at least a portion of exercise calories

Yes. I am using the MFP calorie calculator. Thank you.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    IIRC, My Fitness Pal uses an algorithm that does not take activities beyond your initial setting "sedentary, light ect." into account. There's probably a much better explanation in the sticky section. So it gives you back the exercise calories expecting you to eat them and still have yourself at a deficit where you will lose weight. I ate back my exercise calories for years, and saw results.

I recently switched to a TDEE calculation, and now I do NOT eat back those calories because those calories are factored in to the original number. Two different ways to crack a nut, you still get the nut.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to see how it goes for the next couple of weeks. I won't purposely eat back my calories burned but I will do my best not to try to go over either. I have yet to figure out the TDEE but will be doing my research on that. Thanks so much!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    deniseg31 wrote: »

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to see how it goes for the next couple of weeks. I won't purposely eat back my calories burned but I will do my best not to try to go over either. I have yet to figure out the TDEE but will be doing my research on that. Thanks so much!

if you are using a TDEE calculator then it factors in workouts, MFP does not - pick whichever method you are going to use and stick to it
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i usually eat back some of them.

i like food.
  • hunterc47
    hunterc47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Determining the true caloric burn via deliberate exercise is difficult. Trackers and online calculators provide wildly differing estimates for the same activity.

There are studies that show net caloric burn for running is approximately .63lbs X weight in pounds X miles .... or .3 X weight in pounds X miles for walking. Cycling with a power meter provides a fairly accurate caloric burn estimate by measuring power produced. Anaerobic activities like weight lifting are problematic for caloric burn estimates.

If you use TDEE or MFP's methodology, track what you should lose based on the estimates and your food intake .... compare that to your realized weight loss .... adjust accordingly to stay on a healthy glide path.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I always have eaten all of them.

Well, I say "all." I kept really good records of my food. The exercise calories were a bit of a crap shoot, as everyone exercises at slightly differing rates and abilities. So I just picked a number (in my case, 300 calories per hour of moderate exercise.) I used that number for a few months and I was having exactly the rate of weight loss tht was predicted, so I've always just used that number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP the way it is designed, then your exercise activity isn't accounted for in your activity level...it is additional activity...more activity increases calorie requirements...to account for that, you log your exercise and get additional calories.

The TDEE method includes exercise in your activity level and thus you would get a higher calorie target to begin with...you wouldn't want to eat back calories in this case because they are already rolled up into your higher calorie target.

• Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am on a calorie deficit, and work out, mainly cardio. When I want to reach a goal, weight loss and low body fat percentage, I don't care about muscle mass, I don't eat back my exercise calories. I feel fine by it, but as you can read above, other people can have problems with it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    deniseg31 wrote: »

if you are using a TDEE calculator then it factors in workouts, MFP does not - pick whichever method you are going to use and stick to it

Yes, this. I use the TDEE method, so don't, but if I were using MFP to set a calorie goal I would. It works out to the same thing.
  • hunterc47
    hunterc47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on a calorie deficit, and work out, mainly cardio. When I want to reach a goal, weight loss and low body fat percentage, I don't care about muscle mass, I don't eat back my exercise calories. I feel fine by it, but as you can read above, other people can have problems with it.

Maintaining muscle mass is what drives your caloric burn at rest.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    As anothe rperson who has been too often MIA from MFP, I find if I don't eat them, I fall off the wagon but if I do, I stay on. How about you, OP?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

So you're all in a a lower BMR then?
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I eat back maybe half. I rarely exercise hard/long so I don't burn a lot of fuel. Since my main exercise is low intensity walking, and I know many calculators overestimate calories burned, I don't eat back much. I do eat some because extra exercise does make me hungrier.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would be hungry ALL THE TIME if I did not.