• spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ok so for recipes...my go to's are:

Skinnytaste.com
    Slenderkitchen.com
    Emilybites.com
    Pinterest...I search low calorie meals and browse sites

These I rotate through frequently and cook most of my dinners from...they all have nutritional info listed to give you a ball park for each meal.

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    The way you eat is not sustainable over the long haul we call life. The mistake people always make is putting on weight over years and then expecting to find a way to have it melt off overnight.

The best way to lose weight is to eat a balanced nutritional diet combined with exercise. If you try to eat to little your not going to ever feel full and your body will simply start to eat itself to maintain life.

If you can start going to the gym and working out and start out slowly. building muscle will help burn calories, but you need to eat properly to build those muscles as well. Search videos and you will see guys who body build eat huge amounts of calories and why are they not fat? They burn them calories in the gym doing those muscle building workouts.

There is no easy way. there is no magic pill. there is only hard work and change in lifestyle that will work long term.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Like others say eat at least 1200 calories. My food diary is open if you want to see what I am having
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    Options
    Have you used a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculator to find you daily calorie allowance for your height, weight goal and age? It's a great tool if your losing weigh with CICO (calories in Calories Out). I don't put in my current weight in the calculator though, I would put in your goal weight, so that you start now eating as you would have to continue eating once you're at goal. I did that an reached goal the way and through intermittent fasting 16/8... meaning I'd eat my first meal between 11am-noon and stop eating by 7-8pm (fasting through the night and early morning hours).
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Under the advice of most people here, iv started eating under my limit, but alot more. So that I'm not starving as well. Thanks for your support and tough love. Much needed.

Everyone here wants you to succeed, and the way to do that to develop sustainable eating habits. I totally understand the desire to lose as much as possible as fast as possible - the problem with that is you'll almost certainly gain it all back when you start eating "normally" again. I've been down that road many times.

Aim to reach your calorie goal each day, the one that MFP generates for you when you enter your stats and select "Lose 2 lbs/week". I promise you will lose weight if you do that (unless there are underlying medical problems like hypothyroidism). You won't lose 50 lbs overnight (you didn't gain 50 lbs overnight, after all) but you will get there and you'll feel good in the process.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Unless you're also recommending that the OP seeks his doctor's care and supervision, don't you think it's a little irresponsible to suggest someone do without medical oversight something that you, yourself, have sought medical oversight for?

I agree that would be a good path for OP to pursue as he discovers what works best for him.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SLIMn2016 wrote: »
    Have you used a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculator to find you daily calorie allowance for your height, weight goal and age? It's a great tool if your losing weigh with CICO (calories in Calories Out). I don't put in my current weight in the calculator though, I would put in your goal weight, so that you start now eating as you would have to continue eating once you're at goal. I did that an reached goal the way and through intermittent fasting 16/8... meaning I'd eat my first meal between 11am-noon and stop eating by 7-8pm (fasting through the night and early morning hours).

BMR is what your body uses calorie wise just by being alive. he needs to find what his TDEE is and subtract from that. and eating what his goal weight is now could be too little of calories and the more active he becomes(if he does) the more calories his body will need.
  • ZeetaFit
    ZeetaFit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Austin, I like to toss cauliflower in the food processor and make cauli-rice. Then use it for any meal that you would have had real rice.

My favorite is getting Beef & Broccoli from the Chinese restaurant (large portion) adding 8oz of extra broccoli and 16oz of cauli-rice. I toss it all in a frying pan to heat and blend flavors. Then divide it into 4 portions and freeze the other 3 I am not eating right away. They are just as good out of the freezer and three less meals I have to cook :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JRSINAZ wrote: »
    Like others say eat at least 1200 calories. My food diary is open if you want to see what I am having

I don't think anyone's said at least 1200 for a man. Since min for men is 1500 and that's if they are short and sedentary

I am under a doctors care and prescription and what I am doing is working fine for me. Last week he told me to keep it up. Lots of layman's advice here MFP. Eat more fat to lose fat. haha

OMG...is this the Dude???? (avatar pic)

Anyway...actually, that's true. You can eat more fat *to feel fuller* and more sated. Not necessarily to lose fat in any sort of direct way, per se - like, if you eat the same amount of calories you ate before and were gaining on, then added a lump of lard on per day to that, you wouldn't suddenly lose weight - but the idea that we are terrified of fat and it could in some cases make us feel hungrier to severely restrict it is, I think, true.

I don't really know enough about this (scientifically) to pronounce it Definitely Not Woo but it is for sure something I've heard knocked around the forums fairly regularly.

But anyway. Abide, man, abide. Far out! And have a White Russian on me. (Make sure it's within your macros for the day, though.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I don't think anyone's said at least 1200 for a man. Since min for men is 1500 and that's if they are short and sedentary

I am under a doctors care and prescription and what I am doing is working fine for me. Last week he told me to keep it up. Lots of layman's advice here MFP. Eat more fat to lose fat. haha

Anyway...actually, that's true. You can eat more fat *to feel fuller* and more sated. Not necessarily to lose fat in any sort of direct way, per se - like, if you eat the same amount of calories you ate before and were gaining on, then added a lump of lard on per day to that, you wouldn't suddenly lose weight - but the idea that we are terrified of fat and it could in some cases make us feel hungrier to severely restrict it is, I think, true.

I don't really know enough about this (scientifically) to pronounce it Definitely Not Woo but it is for sure something I've heard knocked around the forums fairly regularly.

But anyway. Abide, man, abide. Far out! And have a White Russian on me. (Make sure it's within your macros for the day, though.)

some fat is needed for brain and hormone function. some vitamins are also fat soluble so fat is needed. its satiating for some people. how much will vary. I have to be on a low fat diet due to health issues. some can do high fat. if high fat satiates someone then more power to them. but eating more dietary fat wont result in losing more body fat.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

some fat is needed for brain and hormone function. some vitamins are also fat soluble so fat is needed. its satiating for some people. how much will vary. I have to be on a low fat diet due to health issues. some can do high fat. if high fat satiates someone then more power to them. but eating more dietary fat wont result in losing more body fat.

Right...okay, that's what I thought...

Fat does satisfy me. I mean...not fingerfuls of lard or anything. But more than 10-15% as I used to do back in the 80s. I guess everyone really is different in this regard.

I don't have any medical dietary restrictions on fat, though. So if I wanted to I could actually sit down with that lard tub, weigh it, log it and go to town.

Although actually the thought of that makes me kinda sick. :dizzy:

Can we make it cream cheese frosting instead?