How many days do you hit the gym?

shawn_j_kassee
shawn_j_kassee Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Being consistent with your workouts maintaining an active healthy lifestyle is necessary to achieve your fitness goals however would a 7 day gym routine be overkill possibly aiding cortisol hormones causing negative results?

Replies

• 4queen_t
    4queen_t Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2017
    6 days. 1 cheat/free day
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I always go 5 days a week. I try for a 6th day if time allows and I'm not too sore from whatever I did all week. I am finding that I miss the 6th day when I don't go.
  • rae1721
    rae1721 Posts: 332 Member
    I only go 5 days a week and never on the weekends. If I skip a day during the week then I will workout at home on Saturday or Sunday but a 7 day workout plan is just to much for me. I enjoy my off/rest days to recoup and be active in other ways.
  • shawn_j_kassee
    shawn_j_kassee Posts: 7 Member
    Definitely finding myself at that addicting stage where missing a day feels abnormal :/ its a healthy obsession i guess but my concerns are being proned to injuries with this regiment and overall "too much of anything can be bad"

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Definitely finding myself at that addicting stage where missing a day feels abnormal :/ its a healthy obsession i guess but my concerns are being proned to injuries with this regiment and overall "too much of anything can be bad"

I have this same thing going for me now. I have been going almost everyday or that is my goal for now. I listen to my body and right now I feel very good and will keep going. I have had the same thoughts like I think I am getting addicted. Even looked at a 45lb plate and called it my mistress. ;-)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    OP, what are you doing that you need to be there every day? Unless you're a gear-assisted pro bodybuilder, I'd think that's not optimum.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    3 days a week full body compound exercises 5x5
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Never.
  • Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    I try to burn 1000 calories a day, general I want to go 6 days a week. Most of the time i go everyday. I know you should have a day off, or maybe two, though I am Dutch and stubborn :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    0... I've never set foot in a gym!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I don't go to the gym each time but train (in one form or another) 6 days a week, try and always have at least 36 solid hours without purposeful exercise each week. (Which means when I'm doing a running streak I'll train in the morning on a Saturday (bootcamp+run there and back) and then do my Sunday run late evening).
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    I go 5 days a week but on Wednesdays I have 2 sessions so I do 6 workouts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I go to my home gym 5-6x per week. Mostly lifting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2017
    would a 7 day gym routine be overkill
    Depends entirely on what your 7 day routine is and why you are doing it (goals).

I trained mostly 7 days a week for ages (half in a gym, half outdoors) but since retiring my intensity and duration of my training sessions has gone up and I need a rest/recovery day most weeks now.

Keep in mind that you want quality training not just more and more volume. Track progress/progression, be aware of signs of over-training and adjust accordingly.
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    3 days a week. Just started, so doing 20-30 min of cardio, then 3 lifting exercises, 3 sets of 8 reps.
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    3-5 days per week, depending on work. I always go after work, so if I have to work late I can't go.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    I am a three day a week gym-goer (lifting all the heavy things no cardio). I am fairly active otherwise cycling and walking lots (no car) every day. I used to run once a week but my left knee won't let me anymore.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    3 days a week.. anything more causes anxiety
  • kiracookie
    kiracookie Posts: 50 Member
    I go 5 days a week but twice a day. I find I fall off the wagon diet wise when I don’t go the gym.
  • fitnellieforlife
    fitnellieforlife Posts: 40 Member
    I don’t go to the gym but I walk 2-5 miles on my treadmill daily.