How to get dem juicy delts?

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Having the separation comes from being lean I think...and pumped up

I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to have round boulder shoulders as my muscle is long and attaches too far down my arm. mine are longer than my husbands (who is taller than me)

Well, you have absolutely fantastic arms :love:

Thank you... They aren't that big though! More Emily Skye, less the first inspo pic..

See, this is why i'm wondering if there's a key to training delts for that specific "look". I feel like most bikini competitors i've seen have some variation of this delt development. :hmm:

Posing helps a lot - most pics you see would be taken pumped up and the body being held in a way to make everything look as good as possible

And possibly photoshopped.. but being very lean helps.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    yskaldir wrote: »
    Most women with juicy delts are on creatine, if you know what I mean.

This.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member

This.

:(
  • rainbowbow
    edited November 2017
    0yn1ajhdojqp.jpeg

While I don’t think I have “juicy delts” per se, I’ve noticed a lot of development in that area over the last couple of years. I do a TON of over head work, presses, push presses and jerks. It’s definitely more noticible the leaner I am.

Thanks so much!! you definitely have what I'm trying to achieve! I just want separation that's visible without flexing or all pumped up. :)

What kind of volume and training frequency do you currently do and what is your diet like? Do you eat above or around maintenance more often than not?

Also, not to be creepy but you have an absolutely beautiful back :love:
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited November 2017
    Higher concentration of creatine receptors in traps/delts than most other muscles.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10664066
    And supposedly here, but I don't have full access: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7005620

I don't have any creatine, but my fronts grow relatively easy just from OHP/BP. I have to do a ton of isolation volume with lateral raises, bent over raises, face pulls etc. to get anything noticeable out of the laterals and posteriors. Heavy pulls and rows don't seem to do much for me there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    I will add, the leaner I get, the better my delts are. I am doing PHAT which has a good amount of shoulder work, which may be contributing to that as well. There is probably also a genetic component which can influence how they look. If i can dig it up, Eric Helms has a good piece on it; he actually compares him and his buddy who are the same height, weight and is a body builder, too. But they have preferred poses back on structure.

ETA:

https://youtu.be/RkFN_u5niCM
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Wow, losing 100 lbs and achieving that physique is amazing.

Congratulations.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Wow, losing 100 lbs and achieving that physique is amazing.

Congratulations.

It's so kind of you to say that, thank you so much!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I will add, the leaner I get, the better my delts are. I am doing PHAT which has a good amount of shoulder work, which may be contributing to that as well. There is probably also a genetic component which can influence how they look. If i can dig it up, Eric Helms has a good piece on it; he actually compares him and his buddy who are the same height, weight and is a body builder, too. But they have preferred poses back on structure.

ETA:

https://youtu.be/RkFN_u5niCM

Same here. My delts don't "pop" until I get fairly lean but it also took about 5 years and a large amount of volume to bring them up.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I think low body fat has a lot to do with it.
    I have a friend who just competed in a bikini comp, I wouldn't say she had juicy/boulder shoulders before/early in her prep. But by the time she had leaned out they REALLY started to pop. It was amazing.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited November 2017
    @rainbowbow
    How strong is your OHP currently?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don’t know if I have juicy delts but I’ve had boulder shoulders & biceps for most of my adult life. I was a decorative painter for 24 yrs & hand painted walls & ceilings. That is an arm & shoulder workout. Last year I got very lean and looked like rhis

*Edited to say I don’t take creatine, just food, whey protein and I got my best definition after doing PHUL.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited November 2017

I take creatine, thanks...sheesh...delts is growing but not visible as covered in a lovely layer of fat...and lots of women work really hard for their muscle mass with and without juice..."if you know what I mean" does not automatically grow delts or any other muscle, it takes several hypertrophy cycles to get there...this goes for that other comment on anavar.

I do OHP, lateral raises, upright rows, that sort of thing. No pics as I am far far away from the lean-ness of you other ladies. Much props to all of you!

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I don’t think there is anything wrong with creatine, btw. I do think low body fat has a lot to do with seeing that separation from delts to bicep. The above photo was me at my very leanest. My abs felt like just skin over muscle-so weird! I lost my bust at that BF%. I’ve since gained 9 lbs and have my bust back. My arms still look defined but maybe not quite as lean.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I've been working with pl coach on bench. I was already doing OHP (on separate day).
    I continued OHP following 5/3/1 scheme. She had me start doing more shoulder isolation for bench accessory.

3x10 on front delt machine
    3x10 db side raises
    3x10 side raise machine
    3x10 rear delt crossovers
    3x10 db rows
    ...all as heavy as I can go.

Delts aren't totally juicy yet, but will be.
  • joeyy888
    joeyy888 Posts: 17 Member
    Just adding my 2 cents..

You don't need creatine or any other supplements to achieve what you're looking for.

Have you ever tried training your arm muscle groups to failure? But do 2 arm excercises rather than by volume, do it by time. So instead of 3 sets of 10 bicep curls for example, do 1 minute of tricep curls BUT use a lighter weight and go slow. Then, with no resting, an inclined curl, again going slow for another minute. Rest for 1 minute then repeat excercises for 5 minutes, go down in weights if you need to.
    The idea here is to really feel the burn in the targeted muscles and work through that pain.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Heavy presses will do it everytime for the fronts.

Preferably barbell bench & OHP or seated.
    Incline Barbell/DB is the only thing I might add.

Heavy pulls for the rear.

Bent rows are top shelf with cleans a decent option as well.

There is nothing more optimal for growth unless you are bobybuilder status.

My delts are huge and defined and bench, OHP, and deadlift are the only lifts that would give my delts work because I powerlift.

Awesome, much appreciated. I'll be honest, i've been neglecting really hitting up bench as hard as i can (especially variations like incline/decline) because I feel like i've already got small boobs that look like "pecs" and i found that i was really really developing pecs. :lol: I know that's stupid to neglect a major muscle group; but still.

I have switched to close grip flat bench to hit shoulders and triceps more than my chest. It has done miracles for my arms.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2017
    In it for the sexy arms. I’m still 60lb from my goal weight but I really want well defined arms as well so this thread is great. All of you look AMAZING. I currently lift but I’m getting some great ideas for more accessory lifts I should focus on.

*Yes I’m currently losing weight but I love this sub forum for all the lifting advice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    I would attribute it more to the leaness. You COULD put on a little more mass on the delts to make it look more pronounced, but that separation is from being lean and a little bit of posing to boot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

This is not true. These are my arms and I am not on creatine. I'm not saying they are juicy by any means, but still noticeable even at 20% BF

Also, That middle pic was taken yesterday, which was leg day, so there was no shoulder pump.

HOLY COW! Phenominal work, lady! Phenomial work.
  • rainbowbow
    @rainbowbow

I do working sets of 30kg (about 65 pounds)
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Heavy presses will do it everytime for the fronts.

Preferably barbell bench & OHP or seated.
    Incline Barbell/DB is the only thing I might add.

Heavy pulls for the rear.

Bent rows are top shelf with cleans a decent option as well.

There is nothing more optimal for growth unless you are bobybuilder status.

My delts are huge and defined and bench, OHP, and deadlift are the only lifts that would give my delts work because I powerlift.

Awesome, much appreciated. I'll be honest, i've been neglecting really hitting up bench as hard as i can (especially variations like incline/decline) because I feel like i've already got small boobs that look like "pecs" and i found that i was really really developing pecs. :lol: I know that's stupid to neglect a major muscle group; but still.

I have switched to close grip flat bench to hit shoulders and triceps more than my chest. It has done miracles for my arms.

Oh, good to know! Will switch this up, Thanks!! :)
  • rainbowbow
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I would attribute it more to the leaness. You COULD put on a little more mass on the delts to make it look more pronounced, but that separation is from being lean and a little bit of posing to boot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Haha, that's what i'm starting to think. And that sucks, because I really hate cutting and maintaining in the high teens instead of mid 20's. It's hard to hit my macros at a lower body fat percentage and i struggle with compliance.

Maybe i'll try doing a short 10 week cut and then reverse to see how much I can possibly maintain on at lower body fat. Last time I was around 18% I was maintaining on 1,800-ish (without cardio) and my hunger levels usually fall in the 2,300-2,500 range so I didn't maintain for long. :lol:
  • ijsantos2005
    @rainbowbow

Strength and size are closely related when you're natty. 100 lbs overhead press is a solid goal for a woman, and I'm sure you'll have some nice delts by then.
  • rainbowbow
    @rainbowbow

Strength and size are closely related when you're natty. 100 lbs overhead press is a solid goal for a woman, and I'm sure you'll have some nice delts by then.

So adding another 15kg to my OHP might be possible but then i'd be lifting like local PL numbers for women of my size. :wink: I'm assuming you mean 100lbs for a working set and not a 1RM?
  • ijsantos2005
    @rainbowbow

So adding another 15kg to my OHP might be possible but then i'd be lifting like local PL numbers for women of my size. :wink: I'm assuming you mean 100lbs for a working set and not a 1RM?

Just the act of working towards that goal is what's important. You can shoot for working sets, a 1RM, or a calculated 1RM if you desire.