I often feel super depressed after exercise.. why?

Options

Replies

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    First off props for getting your butt up when you're depressed. I usually get lazy and it makes my depression worse. I can't 100% relate (I used to cry during my long runs, but who wouldn't cry during a 2 hour run while going through a breakup) but sugar crashes make me depressed af. Try to avoid the post-workout sugar crash by either refueling during or before or directly after, depending on what you're doing and for how long. I don't know if this is the solution, but it might be worth a try. And of course, make sure you're eating enough calories overall.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it could be a form of anxiety attack? The exercise raises adrenaline and heart rate, which causes mild anxiety attack perhaps?

To the Google!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    So apparently it's not all that unusual. Mostly it seems to be associated with people who have panic attacks frequently, so associate the feelings of exercise with an attack. Or overexercising can cause symptoms of depression as well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I get all kinds of physical and mental issues when I do intense exercise. For the rest of the day I'm hungry, drained, grumpy and more. Weight lifting has the same effect on me plus headache, nausea, anxiety, and weird bouts of self-hate which is not characteristic for me. I pretty much stopped doing these and now do low and moderate intensity workouts.

Could you be unconsciously beating yourself up for not seeing immediate improvements in your depression symptoms? I have well managed anxiety which flares up every now and then, and when I started exercising I did not see any improvement. It wasn't until a few months later that I looked back and thought, hmmm, my flare ups are considerably less frequent.

Maybe try different kinds of workouts to find something that doesn't trigger symptoms as badly and stick with it a bit longer to see if it does anything for you over a longer period of time.
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling bad I find that doing something I enjoy like classes at the gym helps me feel better while I'm doing it because of the concentration required. Then when the class ends I feel *kitten* again because all the negative feelings and thoughts come rushing back. Also have in mind that you are probably tired to start with, when I feel low I can't eat enough or get enough sleep.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I feel so bad for you :( I come out of a good lift feeling, well happy and exhausted. I say hello to everyone and wish them a great day. I never do that. I am normally the emotionless/sour face guy that at most would nod to you. If I don't lift for more than 2 days now I feel down and the mind races on things I would rather it not.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When I was pushing myself super hard five days a week at the gym, my anxiety went through the roof and I started feeling depressed. I would cry at the drop of the hat, I was a mess. I had to take some time off from the gym and let my hormones regulate themselves. I do believe from experience that intense exercise without enough recovery can really mess with your hormones which can cause anxiety/depression, sleep issues, weight gain, etc.
    I always think in the back of my mind that it could be adrenal fatigue but every doctor I have seen claims that is not an actual thing. I am not sure what to believe.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think I feel that way when I am doing something that is "mindless" (like walking or cycling) even if I try to push myself or just focus on the now. It doesn't happen every time, but I find that even if I am strong enough to handle it physically, I mentally can't handle doing stationary cardio for more than 5-10 minutes because my mind starts to wander in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure what kind of intense work out you were doing, or if it happens after every session you have. I know for me, I would probably be able to handle cardio better if I had something else to focus on (like a tv show I love) but it's not always possible for me to do that.

<3 to you all.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I were doing only 30 minutes of exercise I would be depressed too.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio, not enough variety. I felt awful exercising until I ditched every machine and boring things (walking, running, jogging, etc) and started taking 2 to 3 varied (live) classes per day. Now I feel awesome after exercise. And I have OCD with Anxiety Disorder, so I thought classes would never be on my list. Now I lose my mind when one is cancelled.

If I need to throw in some machine time like elliptical because of class cancelation, I'm careful to not push too hard or stay too long. Cardio generally makes me feel like crap if it exceeds an hour non-stop.
  • VeganSarahAnne0619
    VeganSarahAnne0619 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Awh! You just need to do the type of exercise you enjoy! I would be depressed if I had to walk on a treadmill for a hour! Haha, so I do spin classes and free weights! Honestly exercise isn't always fun, if it was everyone would be in shape!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    i'll add that i love the weight room. against every expectation i ever had, it's turned into my personal comfort zone. going in there kind of affects me the same way showing up at the little league park used to back when my son was playing: 'doesn't matter what's going on, when you enter this space, time and space will all stop'. it's a sensation of sanctuary.

so the downside of that is, if i use it as a deflection/escape it does work. but when i leave all the bad dogs of my life are crouching right at the door and waiting to re-pounce on me.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety disorder
    Exercise makes me feel better sometimes but sometimes if I over do it I feel tired and sicky and just abit sad
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It might be your nutrition. Are you getting enough proper food??? I usually do morning cardio on an empty stomach, then immediately eat something, today I had a slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter and a banana. If your lifting weights, eat 30 minutes before you workout: a full meal!!! Your body just might be starving.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Like it has the opposite effect on me. What gives?

I have a feeling that it might relate to what sort of exercise you do, different exercises suit different people. Personally speaking I can't stand training in a gym, I find that I feel bored and frustrated by the end.

I far prefer running, swimming or cycling, as they all help me deal with stress.

Might be worth thinking about

I am the opposite. Lifting makes me feel great and happy, I get that endorphin high. Cardio doesn't do much for my emotional state.

Notwithstanding that you've responded to a point I made three years ago, you'll note there is a difference between training in a gym, and lifting. Much of my irritation with a gym is as simple as being inside.

The people don't help much either.
  • grumpygit1962
    grumpygit1962 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am having this very experience this afternoon. I finished work early and it is such a hot lovely day I went for a 50 mile cycle ride, and that's after doing a 50 mile ride on Sunday with a fast group.
    I have fallen in love with cycling this year, where has it been all my life, it really is not difficult to get motivated for a ride unlike my running which though good at it I hated it.

But I came in after riding for just over 3 hours feeling obviously really knackered, which I normally like that feeling, and started feeling really low, even after drinking loads of water and having a nice healthy meal.

I suspect I am pushing myself too hard even though I am wanting to do it.
  • ivyhlilley
    ivyhlilley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know how you feel. I LOVE the workouts I do and feel so elated during and even for 30 minutes or so after. But I end up crying and/or having a panic attack when that feeling wears off EVERY single time I exercise. It doesn’t matter if I go hard, easy, short, long, classes, gym or sport. Nothing affects that feeling so you are most certainly not alone. Short term it sucks but long term the exercise does help the depression for me. It’s the anxiety which it increases, just be careful and listen to your body ❤️
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave amazing advice and took many words out of my mouth. All I can add is that your brain might not be receiving enough oxygen when you exercise, especially during climate, humidity or altitude changes. I suffer from an allergic asthma and require an inhaler during very cold climates. Without it I become very anxious and depressed (aside from not being able to breathe properly).

Depression in general limits a person's energy and after exercise you might feel even more drained. Make sure you keep your blood sugar regular and that you aren't dehydrated.
  • grimwanderer
    grimwanderer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread here but I have this also. My trainer insists exercise will help with depression but I get extremely depressed (suicidal thoughts) after.

For me, there are several things that trigger:

First, seeing people who are almost always younger, fitter, and more attractive than I ever have been. A bit over two years ago I started going to the gym and working out. I lost 75 or 80 lbs. all this did was teach me that (no matter what I weigh) I am unattractive (to be nice about it). Over the last year I’ve increasingly struggled to stay motivated and have put all that weight back on.

Second, I actually feel worse physically since I started the gym. I’m 51 now so that is part of it... but (to give just one example of many) when I started I could go up and down stairs easily. Now stairs are extremely painful (arthritis has set into both knees). I’m not saying that working out has “caused” the issue... but I do feel it has made it worse and brought the trouble on very quickly.

I’m rambling I suppose. But I’m ready to just pack it in and give up on working out at this point. I’m ugly. Always have been ugly. Always will be ugly. And exercise is making me feel worse. Why would I continue?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread here but I have this also. My trainer insists exercise will help with depression but I get extremely depressed (suicidal thoughts) after.

For me, there are several things that trigger:

First, seeing people who are almost always younger, fitter, and more attractive than I ever have been. A bit over two years ago I started going to the gym and working out. I lost 75 or 80 lbs. all this did was teach me that (no matter what I weigh) I am unattractive (to be nice about it). Over the last year I’ve increasingly struggled to stay motivated and have put all that weight back on.

Second, I actually feel worse physically since I started the gym. I’m 51 now so that is part of it... but (to give just one example of many) when I started I could go up and down stairs easily. Now stairs are extremely painful (arthritis has set into both knees). I’m not saying that working out has “caused” the issue... but I do feel it has made it worse and brought the trouble on very quickly.

I’m rambling I suppose. But I’m ready to just pack it in and give up on working out at this point. I’m ugly. Always have been ugly. Always will be ugly. And exercise is making me feel worse. Why would I continue?

That's rough. Are you talking to anyone other than your trainer about these feelings? Just because exercise helps many people with depression doesn't mean that there aren't outliers. Maybe working out won't make you any younger or more attractive, but you can still be healthy. You don't have to work out to lose weight and you don't have to go to the gym to get enough exercise to improve your health. I hope you find a balance you can be happy with. Good luck.