I'm undecided whether to tell people I'm on a diet. Scared of the negativity

Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I don't even discuss it in real life situations. Sometimes people will comment that it looks like I've lost weight, but even then I don't share what I'm doing. I don't see why it needs to be obvious in gatherings around food either. I order what I like, not often salad, but choose lighter options, either through what I'm drinking, choice of sides and dressings, and eat lighter the rest of the day, so it fits.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Don't use the word "diet". It's just a lifestyle change - hopefully permanent. You're monitoring your calorie intake rather than dieting.
  • janetterdz93
    janetterdz93 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Don't tell a soul! Best of luck :)
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Never post that you're in the process/going to achieve something. Post when you have a result to be proud of, like succeeding in your weight loss goals.

Agreed. I'm waiting for the big 100lbs down to post on facebook.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet. I'm just keeping track of how much I eat. And, no, not all my facebook contacts need know. New photos will eventually tell the tale and those who are interested will ask.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell people on facebook. After I'd lost the weight, I updated my profile picture with <-- that one. Many of my fb friends whom I had known since high school remarked approvingly, but none of the wimmin sent me noodz.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell people on facebook. After I'd lost the weight, I updated my profile picture with <-- that one. Many of my fb friends whom I had known since high school remarked approvingly, but none of the wimmin sent me noodz.

Well there's still time ;)
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I didn't tell anyone at first because I didn't want to hear their opinions. I kept it a secret for a year and now 3 years later, ppl keep asking me for help.
  • MaikeO1977
    MaikeO1977 Posts: 13 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My opinion: No. Just do your thing. For me personally, people tend to be more or less unsupportive.
    I am doing a weight loss program at a hospital where I work and I have only today (after 5 weeks in) told people about it, simply because co-workers started remarking on how I looked like I lost weight.
    The only people whom I told before were colleagues who were also doing the program or had completed it previously.

If you want it, you will find support on MyFitnessPal. Or you could join weight watchers or something. It helps to have a designated support group that is separate from your every day life.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell people on Facebook. After I'd lost enough to notice, a family member asked what I did and I told her I used MFP calorie counting. She went into a long explanation about why that doesn't really work, I should switch to Weight Watchers. Sheesh. I've learned that once you tell folks what you're up to, they are either supportive or critical. I don't need the grief.

I have a friend who shared on Facebook last year everything about every single pound she was losing on a weird liquid diet. She wasn't under a doctor's care, she just lived off these liquids she was buying off the internet. She sounded like some kind of diet evangelist, encouraging her friends to do the same thing. She lost a lot of weight, fast. Every day, she bragged about how much weight she lost. THEN, six months into it, she ran out of money and burned out, started eating real food, and gained it all back plus some.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I don't like telling people. I tend to fall off the wagon more since I feel more stressed. I just tell my MFP people!

But then... the other day I was leaving my friend's house as her husband came home. After, she texted me saying he said "Oh Katie is so skinny. I guess that's breastfeeding for you!". And she was like "I breastfed for 18 months and never got skinny" and kinda sounded miffed at me somehow over text because of it.

Meanwhile here I was tracking calories EVERY DAY and trying to stick with it through crazy breastfeeding hunger and sleep deprivation and a little depression. Frick NO it's not the breastfeeding. That's my hardwork! BAH. But they didn't know I use MFP so... my fault I guess.

Anyway. Those are the two sides of the coin... one side is no pressure but the other is no (or little) acknowledgement for your hard work. Pick your favourite lol. Or just tell certain people I guess. That is an option too.
  • MaikeO1977
    MaikeO1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also want to point out that the program I am in is overseen by a physician, a dietitian, and a psychologist. They analyzed my metabolism and gave me the appropriate calorie/macronutrient/fiber/water intake goals for my body. They address issues and I weigh in every week. Also they teach me to change or acknowledge my values and therefore my behavior.

And they always always always find something positive - what? I had trouble sticking to the plan? I gave in to a craving? I didn't exercise like I planned? I ate too much? I ate too little? Whatever my worries, in the end, they will turn it around to something positive. Look how well you're doing! LOL one week they said: well, you didn't lose any pounds but you lost ounces. You are likely the type to plateau for a while and then drop a lot of weight in a week.

The bottom line is: THINK POSITIVE about yourself! Give yourself credit for all victories, even if they seem small. Allow yourself to be human and fall off the wagon once in a while, just keep going. Tomorrow is another day, right? And be patient. It takes a long time to lose weight in a healthy fashion. What matters is that you are kind to yourself. So no, don't give others the opportunity to criticize. They will say positive things automatically when your appearance changes.

xo
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Don't tell people, it's none of their business. Of course you probably want to tell anyone who lives with you, just because you may be eating meals together. The only person I've told is my mother (who doesn't live with me) and she has been supportive. I have a few friends who I bumped into and haven't seen me--and I've gotten some positive comments about my looks but not my weight. I think that a good number of people these days are afraid to comment on weight to your face--whether positive or negative. But on FB, people comment on everything, so I definitely would'nt put it out there for the peanut gallery to detract you from your goals.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're "scared of the negativity", why on earth would you think posting your decision on FB would be a good idea? The only reason to tell another human being is if you think they'd be a support in your journey.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Its kind of a personal thing. Not everyone needs to know.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Never post that you're in the process/going to achieve something. Post when you have a result to be proud of, like succeeding in your weight loss goals.

As my mom and her mom will say!