Who else is skinny fat?

Replies

• IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    I've always thought of myself as skinny fat.... but not for long.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    uawum7rputer.jpeg

Hmm... wish I knew what my BF% was back then... but the weight difference between these two photos is only about 25 lbs. I was technically just over normal BMI in the first photo - 25.68 where 25 is considered normal weight for my height.

I always considered myself skinny fat before I started this journey because I wasn’t fit, but was a reasonable weight (5’3” 145 lbs). Now it appears as though I misunderstood the term, but I may have still qualified as skinny fat based on the picture.

2 years of progress and I am now at about 20% BF according to calipers.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Lmfao at me getting flagged twice for no reason LOL
  • djchaney73
    djchaney73 Posts: 289 Member
    edited November 2017
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Lmfao at me getting flagged twice for no reason LOL

looks like 3 times now, I think people do it out of jealousy... they are upset and sad with their life so they have to try and inflict the same onto others...
  • djchaney73
    djchaney73 Posts: 289 Member
    @JaydedMiss - because in today's world way toooooo many people are way tooooooooo sensitive about certain words. After the last eight years, which are thank the good Lord above over and done, the "pc culture" is way too strong. Too people have way too high a degree of entitlement.

How dare you use the word 'fat" but look the way you do.

Disgusting! I really have a problem with this bull s**t thought process. Anyway, end rant (well, not really). You did nothing to deserve being flagged. What is the line from that movie? "You can't handle the truth!".....something like that, right?

And, I will likely get flagged for this. That is okay. My level of "don't give a <kitten>" is pretty darn high! Especially with people who are overly "sensitive".

Now, am I promoting someone being rude and disrespectful? Heck no. Am I promoting being blatantly direct? No, ma'am! Is it okay to be a bully? H**l no! Those people do not last for very long around me. I take care of those people!!!! Always have, and always will. But, gosh darn it! If everyone would stop being so sensitive and if everyone would stop making excuses for everyone else...if people would just start taking personal responsibility and accountability for themselves.....

I mean, for crying out loud. I went from 190lbs to 251lbs in the span of a couple of years. I was fat. Point, blank and period! Not really much to say about that. I was fat. And I did something about it. I went from super athletic and lean to fat and jiggly. And then took responsibility for it, made some changes to nutrition and to activity and - after a year or so - went back to strong and athletic. I am still fighting a high A1C which very likely comes from that five year time period in my life.

Anyway, the funny thing is that the OP was simply asking about something that is very common. Skinny - quote unquote - but with no muscle tone at all. How to combat that? I mean, that is what I read from OP's post. OP is simply reaching out, asking for advice and kinda sharing OPs opinion on how to combat that "problem". And, others have replied with awesome posts.

Sorry (that I am not sorry), folks! This post kinda ticked me off....not the post, just that someone was flagged several times. Kinda struck a nerve with me. Just me being me.

WELL SAID... Love the post.. deserves an "Awesome" if any ever did
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Thanks, man! I am not a sensitive person, generally speaking, but there are certain things that set me off. Her getting flagged (admittedly, I am assuming why....which is likely my downfall) is one of those things. Anyway, everyone has a right to their opinion, right? :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    sofchak wrote: »
    jkpa6yid0cbr.jpeg

I was skinny fat - making the changes to be stronger, one day at a time. Progressive lifting on a formal training plan, resting appropriately and eating the right amount of protein. That’s my two month progress photo.

ETA: 2-3 lbs heavier in the right photo

... I really don't think that you and I have the same conception of what the word 'fat' means.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't know what constitutes as skinny fat, but my BMI is right at 25 with a BF% of 36 ._.; So I'm probably still weirdly fat. I've been strength training, but still keep up with cardio so my body toning process is going slow. Not complaining, I'm just not expecting to 'see' my results.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I don't know what constitutes as skinny fat, but my BMI is right at 25 with a BF% of 36 ._.; So I'm probably still weirdly fat. I've been strength training, but still keep up with cardio so my body toning process is going slow. Not complaining, I'm just not expecting to 'see' my results.

No I think 25 BMI is common to be about that percentage for female. That is what my mom is. I think you will see more results as you lose a bit more weight since you've been strength training.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I'm with @CWShultz27105; semantics police out in full force on this thread. Whether it constitutes the clinical definition of "skinnyfat" or not, those who have posted would like to reduce body fat and generally get in good/better shape (myself included). Everyone should have the right to express the desire to improve their physique and/or post the progress thereof regardless of how much fat they have to lose.
  • JaydedMiss
    lol....3 flags....people do realize flagging to many people needlessly get themselves in trouble right...?
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2017
    nevermind i stopped caring
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    What’s the criteria for skinny fat? Is that being under weight with a high % of body fat?
    crazyravr wrote: »
    How is this even possible? I never understood this skinny fat. Skinny unfit, yes for sure. But skinny fat? Nope.

It's quite possible (PubMed link).

"Skinny fat" is also known as "normal weight obesity" or "MONW" (metabolically obese, normal weight). It defines a person who is at a healthy/normal weight but has a high body fat percentage and thus, is prone to the same health issues as an obese person. The American Council on Exercise (ACE) defines "obese" as being at/over 26% bodyfat for men and at/over 32% bodyfat for women, according to this article.

@AnvilHead
    Why does it go from 18-25% Acceptable to >26% Obese? Should there be an overweight in there somewhere? Like 26-30 overweight, >30% obese?

Just asking.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    By the above criteria I am probably skinny- fat. My bmi is around 23 but I'm pretty sure I'm around 30% fat. Mostly around my middle. One of my saddest moments was joining mfp and learning that you can't spot reduce or "turn fat to muscle " :/
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    What’s the criteria for skinny fat? Is that being under weight with a high % of body fat?
    crazyravr wrote: »
    How is this even possible? I never understood this skinny fat. Skinny unfit, yes for sure. But skinny fat? Nope.

It's quite possible (PubMed link).

"Skinny fat" is also known as "normal weight obesity" or "MONW" (metabolically obese, normal weight). It defines a person who is at a healthy/normal weight but has a high body fat percentage and thus, is prone to the same health issues as an obese person. The American Council on Exercise (ACE) defines "obese" as being at/over 26% bodyfat for men and at/over 32% bodyfat for women, according to this article.

@AnvilHead
    Why does it go from 18-25% Acceptable to >26% Obese? Should there be an overweight in there somewhere? Like 26-30 overweight, >30% obese?

Just asking.

No, because overweight is a BMI category, but not a medical condition.

Obese/overfat is a medical condition
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    @AnvilHead

Just asking.

I'd guess that stanmann571's reply above is probably correct.

If you look at the Wikipedia entry for "body fat percentage", they attribute a table to ACE which shows an "overweight" level before "obese" - but if you click on the link in the footnote, there's no such table. It goes from "average" to "obese" just as the others do.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    I have this issue as well. I started lifting again and making sure to be consistent.