Avocados

Options
2»

Replies

• Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm keto so they're a staple in my diet. Sometimes I bake them with an egg in the center, which is *amazing*.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Avocado mango margaritas.

Yes, they're a thing. And fabulous.

A friend of mine makes milkshakes with avocados that are nice.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Niff314 wrote: »
    I'm keto so they're a staple in my diet. Sometimes I bake them with an egg in the center, which is *amazing*.

I've been meaning to try this. Do you just crack an egg in the middle and bake it? How long?
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Niff314 wrote: »

I've been meaning to try this. Do you just crack an egg in the middle and bake it? How long?

Yes, but there's a trick to it I've learned - I separate the yolk and put that in first, then put in as much white as will fit. Sometimes the mass of the egg exceeds the space left by the pit, then you're left with an eggy mess. :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I love avocados. On sandwiches, in salad, as guacamole, by themselves. Delicious!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Healthy. Pretty caloric dense, though. As such I cannot eat them as often, or as much quantity-wise, as I'd like. The standard two-avocado guacamole recipe is right out as I can polish off in one sitting. As only part of a meal. 0_o

Besides lemon/lime, there are anti-browning powders on the market for cut FF&V (fresh fruit & vegetables). They generally should work pretty well and do not impart any flavor. I vacuum seal the half I don't use, still in skin and still with seed intact, and refrigerate. It doesn't brown, but it does get a little bit...denser from the compression. And if you go more than two days, it will pick up an odd metallic(?) tang/flavor that could be a problem.

Makes a great replacement for mayo in a bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwich, though. Just slice onto or mash and spread. Soup, too, hot or cold. Especially avgolemono if your plan allows a bit of pasta/rice.

Unfortunately, despite what Alton Brown claims avocado and sardines on toast do not mix. blergh...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I like to buy my avocados light green and let them ripen in a few days. I then eat them when they are just turning soft. They are good but very high in calories.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I love avocados too. Especially on wraps with deli sliced turkey. Also in salads. But I could cut one open and just eat half raw.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Not one of my favorite foods. I rarely use it for anything other than guacamole, which I love. Very nutritious. Yes, healthy fat. Only recipe I have is guacamole. Once it's cut you can store it submerged in water in the fridge and it won't brown.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like avocado, but it's not a major part of my diet anymore. My mom used to give them to me when I was a kid as a snack. She'd just hand me half the avocado, still in the skin, and a spoon.

Now, I like it in sushi or spread on a sandwich. I like warm mushrooms, provolone, avocado, spinach and tomato. I also make a really good guacamole.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've had avocado at both meals today so far. Maybe this thread is inspiring me.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and eat them often. I have them on toast, on sandwiches, salads, in smoothies and I have used them to make avocado basil pesto with pasta. Another way is just having it with salad dressing. I have that as a snack.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Love avocado! I don't love that their price has raised in my area from $1 to $1.50-$2 per avocado :( but I still buy them haha. I'm living with my parents for the time being so usually when I cut one my mom or dad will eat the other half. If it's a large avocado and there are leftovers I put them in a plastic baggy in the fridge with the pit in and usually eat them the next day. I like them for breakfast, whether it be on toast or smashed up on the side with my eggs or with my omelettes. Lunch they're delicious in salads or with grilled chicken. Dinner I like to incorporate them with tacos and such. I use avocado in more ways than I listed but that's just some basics. It's quite delicious to me!
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I love them but they're waaaaaay too expensive where I live to be anything other than a special occasion treat.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I like them a lot, but I don't often feel like they're worth the many calories.
  • Flexecutioner
    Flexecutioner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the flavour, they are a bit too easy to overeat though. I tend to use them as a spread in wraps or as an additive in a blender made dressing.

They are in season here and we are paying $2.50 each, but they can go for $5 which is crazy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,236 Member
    Options
    I only like avocado in guacamole. :) In or beside a burrito or other Mexican food. Along with refried beans. :)