Walking indoors = Boring.

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walking videos - Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith. These are videos with simple low impact moves....marching in place, knee lifts, side steps, etc. Leslie's are simple enough to mute the sound & use an MP3 player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCMUGnWVIg
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Are there stairs? That can make it more challenging and diverse. Where are you walking inside? A mall? An office building? You could do some major people watching.. make up stories about other people, all in your head of course.

I think the podcast might be the answer. Or audio books. Our library allows you to check them out / download them for free.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Podcasts or music for my indoor walking usually.
    Sometimes I read an e-book while walking.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Are there stairs? That can make it more challenging and diverse. Where are you walking inside? A mall? An office building? You could do some major people watching.. make up stories about other people, all in your head of course.

I think the podcast might be the answer. Or audio books. Our library allows you to check them out / download them for free.

Office building. Stairs are problematic for me due to a partially attached acl. If I move between floors, I use the elevators.
  • quiltngrandma45
    quiltngrandma45 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good ideas here I am sure there is one that will help. I do the walking videos and love them. I have a bad knee so I do at my own pace. I might even try the one dancing with the music that sounds like fun. :o Good luck Sophia.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In winter I am often relegated to riding my bike on my indoor bike trainer...it's boring...but it is what it is
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I read ebooks on my phone. A lot of people think it's weird that I don't get dizzy or fall over things, though, so I'm not sure it's possible for everyone? If I have a good book I can walk for hours without even noticing. :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Can you not dress for the conditions and walk outside still?

My arthritis flares with the cold so I have to work around that. Thus going from walking outdoors to walking indoors.

But you won't be cold if you dress appropriately...? Or am I being stupid? I have a lovely pair of fleece lined trousers on today, very warm indeed...

There is no bad weather; only bad clothing ~ old Norwegian folk saying
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Can you not dress for the conditions and walk outside still?

My arthritis flares with the cold so I have to work around that. Thus going from walking outdoors to walking indoors.

But you won't be cold if you dress appropriately...? Or am I being stupid? I have a lovely pair of fleece lined trousers on today, very warm indeed...

There is no bad weather; only bad clothing ~ old Norwegian folk saying

OP has a rheumatic condition. as such, the inflammation can be set off by all sorts of things. cold water or even cold air on her nose could make her knees or ankles ache.

Unless she can run in a heated hamster bubble, there is no way for her to go outside to run.
  • ElizaD1313
    ElizaD1313 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you persist with meditation. It's difficult at first but worth it. Try visualise a beautiful peaceful place to walk in rather than just shuting ur mind off.

my chest is vulnerable ro infections so I rarely walk outside.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've watched the entirety of Breaking Bad walking inside. I have a few TV shows that I only watch on the treadmill.

I don't have a treadmill.

Put something on a tablet/phone and prop up on the gym treadmill. (or switch to another gym-- a lot of them have mini-TV's on the cardio equipment now).
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I've watched the entirety of Breaking Bad walking inside. I have a few TV shows that I only watch on the treadmill.

Put something on a tablet/phone and prop up on the gym treadmill. (or switch to another gym-- a lot of them have mini-TV's on the cardio equipment now).

I don't have a gym membership. Its too far a walk to one. Any exercise done is done outside a gym.
  • ritzvin
    Options

I don't have a gym membership. Its too far a walk to one. Any exercise done is done outside a gym.

Wait- Where are you using a treadmill then, if not at home or gym?
  • ritzvin
    Options
    nevermind...I'm guessing there is one where you work somewhere.. move a cart or something over near it - and watch netflix on laptop/tablet/phone, maybe grab an old monitor to hook one of those devices to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    nevermind...I'm guessing there is one where you work somewhere.. move a cart or something over near it - and watch netflix on laptop/tablet/phone, maybe grab an old monitor to hook one of those devices to.

She's walking around the hallways at her work.
  • LunaKip
    LunaKip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get it. I have fibro, and cold makes my joint pain so much worse. All I can suggest is what other people already have: podcasts and music.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

She's walking around the hallways at her work.

I have no idea why that didn't occur to me.

In that case, my best suggestion is to find some music you really like and want to move to (in my case that would be salsa).
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    With winter nigh, cold temps have forced me indoors for my lunch walks. The problem is that walking inside bores me to death. (I still do it, I'm just achingly bored while I do it.)

Is there any way to make it less boring or do I have months of boredom to look forward to until the weather turns decent again?

Watch movies while you do it. I watch Amazon Prime when I walk indoors. Sometimes I listen to music or audiobooks as well. That's what I'm doing today. We have cold and rain.